• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Dear Stick users, Any pros?

HumanBean

Inkster Jr.
NNID
HappyHumanBean
I know there is a large circle jerk over the motion controls being superior and I being a stick user can agree, I see the benefit of motion control over stick control. However my comfort level always takes me back to stick. I am just curious if there are any other stick players who are finding good success online? A+ ranks etc.

Could you please share your experience of being a stick player who has success ?

staindgrey

Inkling
NNID
staindgrey
I'm a stick user, and I can tell there's a difference in my accuracy compared to some others I find online. As a result, I basically rely on guns that aren't very long range, and use my grenades for anything out of easy shooting range. You basically just always have to be on your toes, because unless you react more quickly than a motion user does, you're likely going to die.

Highest rank I've hit has been B+. Haven't hit an A yet.

Dish

Full Squid
NNID
Englannd
I'm a stick user and I main splat charger. Currently A+ so it's definitely possible to do well with it.

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
Stick user here A+
but yeah aiming is REALLY vital which is why I'm improving it each day
by raising the sensitivity

novel

Inkster Jr.
as i said in the previous topic, s rank here. sensitivity -2
the only weapon which you really struggle to be , lets say , s rank worthy , would be a charger. i suggest people use the squiffer to get good at flicking with the stick, then change to other chargers, e-liter, splatterscope, etc

using motion controls while using charger clearly has an advantage over sticks. is that an impediment to be good/really good ? not at all
regarding the other weapons, blasters do not need a perfect MLG aim (and the swim-jump-shoot tactic is not essential, you can do great despite not being able to do it.) , neither do rollers (you need to aim and be good but not as precise as a charger). and the splatter guns is just a matter of playing with the right sensitivity until you found the most suitable for you . there are LOTS of s / s+ rank players using sticks and any weapon combination. its just a matter of practice.

until s rank the only weapons i used were tentatek splattershot , luna blaster and carbon roller . now im changing and trying diferent things to keep the game fresh (no pun intended)

awareness, game sense, reading the situation, when to retreat, is equally or more important than aiming .

1o2

Inkling Cadet
the only weapon which you really struggle to be , lets say , s rank worthy , would be a charger. i suggest people use the squiffer to get good at flicking with the stick, then change to other chargers, e-liter, splatterscope, etc
When I was using charger back in the Bish ranks I never really had a problem quickly reacting and sniping someone, but then again I always try to read movement as I snipe so there's that. Couldn't say how my aim would be now though, I haven't played sniper in 2 weeks.

XxTheWhopperxX

Inkster Jr.
NNID
XxTheWhopperxX
I am also a stick user because I've played so many shooter games on PS3 that stick controls feel so natural to me. I am currently S rank and I think the stick controls are fine. I believe it's better to just go with whatever feels more comfortable.

ZypkerGaming

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ZypkerGaming
Stick user as well. I don't do as well in Ranked but I destroy in Turf Wars :P. I also have a camera sensitivity of -3, which just goes to show how stiff I am while playing Splatoon.

Toadie

Inkling
I would probably be ok with Stick if it didn't force you to use the gamepad. Pro controller would be so much better! Because of that I find my aim going either all the way left or right so I have a low -2.5 sensitivity which seams sensitive enough!

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
I would probably be ok with Stick if it didn't force you to use the gamepad. Pro controller would be so much better! Because of that I find my aim going either all the way left or right so I have a low -2.5 sensitivity which seams sensitive enough!
That has nothing to do with the GamePad. That's just Splatoon's turning mechanism with the stick. There's no easing...

Toadie

Inkling
That has nothing to do with the GamePad. That's just Splatoon's turning mechanism with the stick. There's no easing...
It's not the game I'm blaming really, It's the gamepad. Playing on a 360/Pro controller means I'm used to having my thumb over the stick in a certain way, the bulky nature of the gamepad restricts this so I can't really refine my movement on the stick.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
The biggest plus for me when using a stick: It's not motion controls or anything even remotely similar.

No, seriously. I HATE motion controls, and that includes the gyro type functions that some use. Cant stand them. Absolutely cant stand them.

Just...ugh. Absolutely despised the Wii because of them, making it the one and only console I've ever sold off that wasnt a PS2 (which I consider an abomination). And good riddance. Had I not sold the damn Wii, I probably would have simply destroyed it. These days, that's probably what would have happened; going to the Gamestop is too annoying now. Or I mighta just dumped it into the hideous mass of cables that has formed in a spot in my room. Nothing that goes in there ever comes back out.

Worse though, I'm relatively certain I now CANT use motion controls, even if for some absolutely baffling reason I wanted to. It'd make my arm flare up. What little I did try of the damn gyro function on here (to shut up a friend of mine) was hurting as it was.

HumanBean

Inkster Jr.
NNID
HappyHumanBean
Im relieved to see A+ / S+ stick players! I just switched to motion, but my GF and our 4 y/o are still playing stick. There is still hope for them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom