• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Debate - Which is More Annoying/Hard: Griller vs. Glowflies!

Which is harder/more annoying?

• Total voters

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Hello, hello. Tell me: Which Salmon Run event is harder/more annoying: Griller or Glowflies?

Let the debate begin!

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Griller.

Glowflies simply depends on the weapon. It can be the easiest thing in the world (assuming people of your team don't go rogue) given weapons with good firing rates. Or it can be practically impossible if you're all stuck with inefficient killing weapons.

Griller however can get really bad really fast. Them only being vulnerable from their backside is annoying, especially if the rotation contains close ranged weapons. If you have a decent weapon rotation the first couple Grillers aren't too bad, but the moment double Griller is a thing, life just sucks. Even if you survive, quota is the issue with Grillers.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Grillers account for probably more than half of my wipeouts. They're the only waves that truly can get hard with 3 good teammates.

Glowflies on the other hand, are only hard if your team really sucks. Even if they only kinda suck you can probably survive. And even if they really suck, as soon as they catch on to the general strategy of staying near the basket, you're fine.

And you might get a whole lot of eggs from them too. It's not uncommon to get more than 30 eggs from a Glowfly round, but that'll never happen with Grillers.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
Grillers no doubt.

Glowflies actually aren't that challenging if your team has a good weapon loadout and brellas/rollers chew through the salmonids very easily whereas I've been wiped so many times because people lead the griller to you and/or don't kill the smallfries. I'd take Glowflies over getting chased by 2 Grillers any day.

Rinku

Inkling
NNID
The_Shadow2014
Switch Friend Code
SW-2291-5639-2316
That red laser pointer brings dread into my soul every time I see it. Grillers are the worst at high tide, it can be almost impossible to hit their backsides on a map like smokeyard where going to the other side isn't always viable.

And don't get me started on the smallfries.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Grillers most definitely. For multiple reasons. Can only get their backside, you have teamates whose being chased who run towards you and gets you splatted. Most of my deaths come from the person being targeted running past me, or onto a platform, and I have to get off and the second griller splats me.

And the stupid...annoying...little...smallfries. I cannot stand them. They're so annoying...

Absolutely Absol

Pro Squid
I'm not fan of Griller rounds... like previous posters say, their only target is their tail and annoying smallfries. Can be gone wrong if one or more weapons are short ranged.

Hmm, if this is Splatfest, I wonder what option Pearl and Marina would rather to have...
Pearl would complain about Grillers because she's short and couldn't reach Griller's tail. lol So she'll stick with Glowfly rounds.
Marina, erm, don't like Glowflies buzzing and barbarousness of frenzy Salmonids... She would marvel at technology of Grillers. She's EN-THU-SI-AST!

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
The only issue with glowflies is if 2 things happen: the weapon loadout sucks or you have a bad weapon AND your teammates are incompetent. I would argue that on marooner's bay these are actually easy due to the map's straight path, making chargers and the stingray mildly competent.

Grillers are the most difficult challenge this game has to offer. Because of their speed and only weakness being on the back they can be difficult to hit when in a vacuum. Next you need to add smallfry that are incredibly hard to hit with anything other than a rapid-fire weapon, making any charger useless if swarmed. And they regenerate. Then you add a SECOND griller, bringing with it a major distraction from your first griller and another army of smallfry. Along with all of this, you need to meet the quota, meaning that you will usually need to kill 4-5 if you collect all their eggs—more grillers are chasing while you do this!—and possibly more. Then you add in that bomb rush is completely useless, splashdown only works if you hit their weird tentacle, and stingray only works if there is nothing chasing you.

Even the most competent teams struggle with this monster. Almost every time I have a competent team (30 eggs the first round) when these monsters show up we are either wiped or don't meet the quota. The best strategy is to find a small ledge and jump on and off of it so the griller can't reach you, causing it to move back and forth. This only works when you are being targeted and everyone on the team also understands how this works. Very rare to win these rounds when the quota is over 12.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Not much of a debate now is it XD.

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
Not much I can add to this. They are both hard and can wipe an incompetent team fairly easily, but griller is hard for a much more annoying reason. If you get the right rhythm in a glowfly wave, you can end up with 25+ eggs, but golden eggs are a struggle in griller waves, and I end up losing just as many to not meeting quota as crew wipes from grillers. Grillers should drop four eggs for how hard they are.

liciors

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6376-9440-4613
I'm with the consensus. Grillers are more difficult to hit quota with. Surviving isn't that hard, unless your swarmed by small fry with a weapon that can't deal with them. Glowflies are easy unless your team is incompetent.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
My vote is for Grillers, unquestionably.

With the Griller waves, 9 times out of 10 it's because we can't meet the quota of like, 19 eggs. It involves enough competence and coordination to keep the Grillers close enough to the egg basket to make for quick and easy depositing, and it's a nightmare when people can't kite them properly; I can't tell you how many times people have seemingly moved into a position to alter their pathfinding straight onto me. -and if it isn't that, then it's the smallfries that pester me and throw off my aim. A fully charged E-Litre can pop the Griller in one hit, and if I'm not being bumped around by spoon-wielding tater tots, I can actually carry a Griller wave pretty effectively with one.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Which is always the case.
I could actually win around 50% or more of the griller waves when I was in the low profresh ranks and the quota was a lot closer to that. Since then it has been incredibly difficult to win any, with the most difficult stage IMO being lost outpost due to people climbing the walls when we have 2 grillers out. When there are 2 grillers we need everyone available to shoot, and the people on the wall will end up consumed by smallfry.

I did actually win a griller round with an amazing team last night. We were able to kill every one that showed up and finished with 20 eggs. I also lost 2 more griller waves—one with 17 out of 18 eggs—and won 3 glowfly waves without a loss.

Cephalobro

Grillers are definitely worse, especially when you take Smallfries into account, those little jerks will give you a bad time every chance they get. It sometimes get bad enough that I would have to use my specials against them and that's not right.

Last edited:

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
I guess I'll be in the minority and say that Glowfiles are more difficult rounds than Grillers. Personally, Grillers aren't that difficult to me due to their simple paths; besides Lost Outpost, you can evade them while your teammates splat them and you can swim up walls to softlock their movement trying to get to you.

I dread whenever I get Glowfiles on the other hand; that mode is entirely dependent on what guns the shift is using, and who has the Splashdown and Inkjet. Any slow shooting weapons are horrible agaisnt them aswell weapons that use a lot of ink, making you need to refill in the middle of the round consistenly; not to mention the moment someone gets splatted it's usually all she wrote from that point.

Overall though; both rounds can get aggrivating if you have incompetent teammates.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I definitely want to see Grillers nerfed in Splatoon 3 if not sooner. Between their single point of vulnerability, their speed, and the smallfries, they're a threat every which way. I think that if they dropped just a few smallfries to keep everyone on their toes, moved just a bit slower, had a longer delay between splatting their designated victim and heading for a new one, and had a wider soft spot, they'd be balanced with a normal round.

Glowflies only bother me if I have multiple incompetent teammates, or if I have one incompetent teammate and one with a weapon that's just not great in the mode. But most weapons do just fine. Rollers annihilate them; even the carbon roller just gets knocked back but kills them anyway. Blasters and sloshers kill them en masse, although the Rapid Pro isn't really efficient enough. Most chargers slice through a whole line of them like butter (not sure about the Bamboozler or Grizzco). Most shooters and dualies are fine; the exceptions are the weak ones (Jet Squelcher in particular) and the ink-hungry ones (Pro, .52, and especially the .96).

My experience is that if one person goes down in a Glowflies round, it's most often salvageable without using a special. The only danger is the chain reaction, where someone instantly gets the Glowflies who wasn't prepared for them. Even then, any special but the Stingray can salvage things (and even it sometimes). In Grillers, one death is a big problem every time, and more importantly, it's hard to even use specials to revive them. Grillers are tall enough to reach Inkjets, they get in the way of Bomb Launchers, and they aren't killed by Splashdown (and, like with Inkjets, can even kill you at the peak of your jump).

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I think it really depends on the loadout, and how your teammates react.

I have been having a rather easy time of Griller waves recently. My teammates have all been pretty good about knowing where to position themselves when there's a laser on someone. Of course I would rather have the laser on myself so it's one less thing to worry about. There's the Smallfry, but I try to focus on them while my teammates go after the Griller....unless we're doing poorly on reaching quota. If we're low on quota, I'll ignore the Smallfry and throw a bomb at the Golden eggs when we killed the Griller.

Glowfly waves can be hell if you have only weapons with low DPS. I recall one loadout where Dualie Squelchers was the only shooter, and it didn't kill fast enough to hold the Chums off....I never won a Glowfly rush that loadout. If you have a Brella or Roller, and the person knows how to use it, then the only question becomes how high can you rack up your points!

I'll cast my vote on Glowfly waves. Grillers can be rough if you don't know how to manipulate the Grillers. The thing is...I know how to manipulate them. Glowfly on the other hand can lead to an instant loss if everyone on your team runs out of ink at the wrong time. Also things can get really tough on Glowfly waves if you have Chargers, while they're almost a godsend in Griller waves.

Last edited:

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
My 2g.

With decent co-workers either should not be that hard but if I had to choose Griller all the way.

Camp by the basket and use your weapons correctly (looking at you roller and brella users).

Grillers cannot scale up or down walls or ledges. Use those to your advantage and the round usually goes fairly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom