• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Deep Secrets and Murky Waters (Prince Huchen’s backstory, requested by Frankus)

TurnItUpAnOctave

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1234-5678-9012
I wake up to blaring alarm sounds, announcing the start of a new day. My absolute faaaaaavorite wake-up call. I sigh and turn over onto my side, shoving my head under the pillow to muffle the noise. It’s not very effective, but at least it helps a bit… at least, until Her Majesty Princess Pinkie (my sister, unfortunately) stalks in, taps me on the shoulder, and says in a snobby- well, actually, she always sounds like that, but today she is using a particularly stuck-up, the ‘world-revolves-around-me’ voice- “Time to rise, Prince Huchen. You’re late for the breakfast council meeting.”
I groan. Of course. “Not right now Pink, let me sleep a bit more.”
Well naturally she didn’t take that very well. My sis lets out a beastly indignant roar and flings herself on top of me, pouncing wildly on the bed and making it quiver and shake, punching me and yelling in my ear. “I said get UP, you filthy disgrace to the royal family!!!” she screams. When she throws a tantrum, she becomes a spitting image of our, in my opinion, rather deranged father: King Chinook. The resemblance is uncanny and ridiculously creepy. I groan in annoyance and sit up, gently shoving her off the bed. Then I slooooooowly rub my eyes, stretch, and pull the covers back with an overly dramatic and drawn-out yawn. I love the priceless look of beyond-irritated, exasperatedly furious impatience on my little sister’s face. I’ll probably pay for this later, but that expression is so worth it.
I stand up with a sigh and and point to the door.
“Alright, I’m up,” I say. “Now, out. Let me get dressed.”
Pink flashes me an infuriatingly smug face before sauntering out with her head held high, nose in the air all high-and-mighty as usual. But I’m used to that by now, and I refuse to let it bother me much.

Last edited:

TurnItUpAnOctave

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1234-5678-9012
I dress and walk out to the dining hall where my father is lazily sitting listening with a bored expression to my uncle Commander Sockeye’s war report.
”You’re late,” my father barks as I approach. His deep, loud voice echoes in the hall and I wince.
“S-sorry-“ I mumble weakly.
My father shoots me the same angrily disappointed expression I’ve grown accustomed to ever since I was just a little fryling. “You’re not worth my time,” the look said. “Why’d I have to get you as a son?” it said.
Pink, on the other hand, flashes me amother one of her classic aggravating smug looks. She is probably the next in line for the throne, despite her being younger than me. I’m just a failure from the day I started life, while she idolizes our father and has grown up to be just like him. I’ve tried so hard to make her change, since she was still so young and still had a chance of being different, but no. Apparently our father’s DNA runs far too deeply in my sister’s veins.

TurnItUpAnOctave

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1234-5678-9012
My father goes back to completely ignoring me as I take my seat in my designated chair. Which, it’s worth noting, is the furthest possible royal family chair from the king’s. I sigh.
Finally, uncle Sockeye finishes his war report and goes back to sitting in silence. He was Mother’s brother. Too bad Mother died immediately after I came into the world... I wonder what she would have thought about all of this. Pinkie’s egg hatched later than mine, despite being laid at the same time as mine. And yet it was after mine hatched that Mother died. Maybe that’s what started Father’s grave disappointment in me… maybe he saw a link between my hatching and Mother’s death, something more than just coincidence, and decided that from that day on I was nothing but an utter failure, not even worth trying to work with. But Pinkie? She’s the golden child. Literally. Our mother was a Goldie, and Pinkie got her DNA apparently because she has a pink underbelly, pale pinkish grey skin, and golden scales all along her back. She also has glazed, glowing white eyes characteristic of a Goldie.
Maybe it was Pinkie’s destiny to help Father take over the world. Maybe I was just destined to be left in the dirt, a blemish on the royal family’s name.

Last edited:

TurnItUpAnOctave

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1234-5678-9012
I glance over and catch uncle Sockeye’s- well, eye. He gives me the slightest shake of the head. His eyes say, I know what you’re thinking. I don’t like this anymore than you do. But to challenge your father would be a death wish. Sockeye has never really liked my father, but he is secretly too afraid of his power to try to stop him. Besides, he gets well paid and recognized for his job. It would be giving up far too much to try to challenge the king.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom