• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Detailed Information on Skills (Splatoon Book Guide Scans)

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Hey everyone, you may know me from my hasty, incomplete guide on skill stacking (lol).

But I have a friend who bought a guide based on the game and it has some really good information on the skills in the game and how much they increase or reduce a certain skill.

Click the spoilers below to see:

And a final screenshot of probably the best skill in the entire game imo.

Hope this will help further our understanding of the skills in this game.

Last edited:

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Typed up version, summarized the most important bits. You can include this in the OP if you like, since I find it annoying to read images.

Damage Up: Increases damage of your main, sub and special weapons.

Damage Up increases the damage of main, sub, and special weapons up to 130%. However, weapons cannot pass their innate "number of hits to splat" threshold. For example, Aerospray MG has a base damage of 24.5, meaning that it takes five shots to splat at base; it cannot drop below this number, so Damage Up will cap its damage at 24.9, so it still takes five shots to splat. Damage Up is most useful when using weapons with a high rate of fire or those on the lower threshold of their number of hits to splat." This is ideal for countering opponents equipped with Defense Up.

Supplemental reading: Link.

Defense Up: Reduces damage taken from all attacks.

This ability reduces damage taken from all direct attacks up to 120%. Unlike Damage Up, it can lower thresholds on enemy weapons. For example, the .52 Gal does 52 base damage, making it a three-shot splat with the .52 Gal. This is one of the most valuable abilities, particularly if you're new to the game, decreasing the effectiveness of your opponent's weapons. Players with an aggressive play style also benefit from Defense Up.

Ink Saver (Main): Decreases the amount of ink consumed by your main weapon.

Ink Saver (Main) decreases ink usage of your main weapon by up to 60% of its normal usage. For example, a weapon that normally can continuously fire for 17 seconds becomes able to fire for just more than 27 seconds.

Ink Recovery Up: Increases ink tank refill rate while in squid form.

Ink Recovery Up increases your ink tank's refill rate by up to 40%, but only while in squid form--and you don't need to be swimming to gain this benefit.

Run Speed Up: Increases movement speed while in inkling form.

Run Speed Up increases your movement speed by up to 50% when in inkling form. This affects movement while running and while firing your weapon. However, it does not affect rolling speed with roller type weapons.

Quick Super Jump: Your Super Jumps are faster.

Quick Super Jump increases your Super Jump speed by up to double the normal rate, allowing for quicker deployment when jumping to teammates or Squid Beakons.

Bomb Range Up: Bombs, Point Sensors, and Disruptors travel farther when thrown.

This ability allows you to throw Splat Bombs, Burst Bombs, Suction Bombs, Point Sensors, and Disruptors up to 50% farther. The visible arc shown when tossing these weapons is noticeably extended, allowing you to toss these weapons impressive distances.

Opening Gambit: Boosts your speed in both Inkling and squid form for the first 30 seconds of battle.

Opening Gambit increases the Run Speed Up and Swim Speed Up parameters for the first 30 seconds of the match, allowing you to move much faster. This ability is restricted to headgear as a main ability.

Last-Ditch Effort: Boosts ink recovery rate and weapon ink efficiency for the last 30 seconds of the match.

This ability gives you a significant boost during the final seconds of each match, increasing Ink Saver (Main), Ink Saver (Sub), and Ink Recovery Up parameters. This ability is restricted to headgear as a main ability.

Tenacity:

Fills special gauge automatically if your team has fewer active players than the enemy. Tenacity fills your special gauge automatically if your team has more inactive players than the enemy team. A player is flagged as inactive while waiting to respawn--inactive players are shown at the top of the screen, represented by squids with X shapes over their eyes. The more inactive players your team has in comparison to the opposing team, the faster your special gauge fills. This ability is restricted to headgear as a main ability.

Recon: You can see the opposing team on the map while standing on the start point.

Recon allows you (but not your team members) to see the opposing team on the Gamepad's map while you're standing on your team's spawn point. This ability is restricted to clothing as a main ability.

Bomb Sniffer: Traps and hidden bombs set by your opponents are visible.

This ability is restricted to shoes and allows you to see Ink Mines that are hidden by opponents. All bombs (including Ink Mines) within a certain distance appear as skull icons on your screen. These skull icons can be seen through walls, so you can tell if opponents are throwing bombs around a corner at you.

Ink Resistance Up: Damage and movement penalties incurrend when moving through enemy ink are reduced.

Normally, you take 50 damage over three seconds while standing in enemy ink. Your movement speed is reduced to 12.5% of normal and you suffer a 60% reduction in jump speed and height as well. Ink Resistance Up changes all of this. When equipped, you only take a maximum of 25 damage when standing in enemy ink for six seconds. Your movement speed is reduced to 80% of normal and your jump speed and height are unaffected. This is clearly one of the most effective abilities thanks in large part to the reduction in the mobility penalties applied when moving through enemy ink. This ability is restricted to shoes as a main ability.

Stealth Jump: Your Super Jump landing points are hidden, but your Super Jumps are slower.

Normally when performing a Super Jump, a marker appears on the ground where you're about to land, which is visible to all players, including opponents. Stealth Jump hides the landing point marker. Your Super Jump speed is slightly reduced, but the decrease is negligible. This ability is restricted to shoes as a main ability.

Swim Speed Up: Increases movement speed while in squid form.

This ability increases squid form movement by up to 25%, also while using the Kraken special.

Special Charge Up: Increases special-gauge fill rate.

Special Charge Up increases the rate of which the special gauge fills by up to 30%.

Special Duration Up: Increases usage time of special weapons.

Increases duration of special weapons: Bubbler, Inkzooka, Kraken, Bomb Rush, Echolocater all last longer. Inkstrike and Killer Wail are given more time to aim the weapons. Increased Bubbler duration is also passed to teammates, regardless if they have Special Duration Up.

Quick Respawn: Decreases respawn time after getting splatted.

Decreases time watching the splat cam by up to 66% after getting splatted. Splat cam normally lasts 6 seconds, while the respawn animation lasts 3, for a total of 9 seconds. Quick Respawn only effects the splat cam portion. Fully stacked (three Quick Respawn abilities) the splat cam is reduced to 2 seconds, for a total of a 5 second respawn time.

Special Saver: Reduces the amount your special gauge decreases after getting splatted.

This ability reduces special charge loss after a splat by up to 100%. Normally, you lose 50% of your gauge upon death.

Last edited:

kinetik07

Senior Squid
If you had the full 20% dmg reduction from defense abilities(meaning all 12 slots are defense up), you can turn .96 gal shots and (direct contact)burst bombs into a 3 hit kill instead of two, jet squelcher becomes 5 hit kill instead of 4, and all uncharged charger shots become 4 hit kill instead of 3. This is assuming your opponent has no damage up abilities and you don't touch enemy ink on the ground.

Also interesting to note: Blaster, Roller(fling), Dynamo Roller(fling) will do exactly 100 dmg. Even the weakest charger, squiffer, will still do 112 dmg fully charged. Looks like the devs really thought this stuff through.

Info calculated from https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eTOoUgD0a-BOiwWNRcpUO4ImC6Txv4I-wqVNpvwOx2Y/edit#gid=0

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Does this mean defence up has more viability than initially thought? Damage up cap sucks and seems to only be useful for negating defence up, but I can see at least one defence perk becoming mandatory to avoid being owned by these .52's that are making their home in ranked.

Sol64

If you had the full 20% dmg reduction from defense abilities(meaning all 12 slots are defense up), you can turn .96 gal shots and (direct contact)burst bombs into a 3 hit kill instead of two, jet squelcher becomes 5 hit kill instead of 4, and all uncharged charger shots become 4 hit kill instead of 3. This is assuming your opponent has no damage up abilities and you don't touch enemy ink on the ground.

Also interesting to note: Blaster, Roller(fling), Dynamo Roller(fling) will do exactly 100 dmg. Even the weakest charger, squiffer, will still do 112 dmg fully charged. Looks like the devs really thought this stuff through.

Info calculated from https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eTOoUgD0a-BOiwWNRcpUO4ImC6Txv4I-wqVNpvwOx2Y/edit#gid=0
If the Dynamo does exactly the same damage as a normal roller then that makes me think, why do people use the Dynamo? (Trading speed for range seems redundant and the specials on the normal roller seems better especially krak on).
Does this mean defence up has more viability than initially thought? Damage up cap sucks and seems to only be useful for negating defence up, but I can see at least one defence perk becoming mandatory to avoid being owned by these .52's that are making their home in ranked.
Yeah, Defense up seems to be way more beneficial than Attack up. Also put that in with ink resistance up and you're practically saying nope to everything.

Symph

Full Squid
NNID
Symphonia46
I didn't know that Bomb Range Up wasn't restricted to a certain gear, at least according to this guide. I just haven't gotten this ability on a gear besides it already being on a Main Ability. Glad that I didn't waste slots before finding this out.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
If the Dynamo does exactly the same damage as a normal roller then that makes me think, why do people use the Dynamo? (Trading speed for range seems redundant and the specials on the normal roller seems better especially krak on).
Because the range and spread are incredibly important and an absolutely worthwhile tradeoff. You kill far more efficiently and cover a lot more area in a given amount of time with your splash attack. I find inkstrike strategically superior to the kraken, and honestly more interesting gameplay wise.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
Comeback is not in the list as well. What exactly does Comeback affect and for how long?

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Comeback pretty much boosts your abilities up by some when you respawn for a shot time.don't know the exact.

Bisquid

Inkling
Flammie, it's there.

It hides your marker while swimming as the name implies but you suffer a 25% swim speed reduction. (It's still a very good skill especially for snipers).
So I'm gonna assume that's what the guide says right? I made a bunch of tests in the training area and there's no way that ninja squid reduces your swim speed by 25%. I'm not even sure the penalty is working at all. Swimming from the starting line in the training area to the dummy in the middle took me exactly 3 seconds with and without ninja squid on. I also made sure that I had no swim speed up on my gear anywhere. Also tested in reckon mode in walleye warehouse. Painted a line through the corridor on the right from the spawn point up until the boxes. With ninja squid: 5.4 seconds Without: 5.2 seconds
Of course these tests could be a little inaccurate because I had to push the stick forward at the same time I was starting the stopwatch and had to make sure I swim straight (motion controls where disabled). But still, this amounts more to a 5% swim speed decrease and not 25%.

Some tests regarding run speed up. To note, I don't have the exact numbers anymore on top of my head, sorry. But I came to the conclusion that 1 run speed up (main ability) increases your movement speed by 15-16% (both running and while shooting your gun). The second and third run speed up increase it by another 7-8% each. Again, done by running from the starting point in the training area straight up to the dummy in the middle.

So I honestly think the numbers in the strategy guide are bogus. If anybody wants to perform some tests of their own and point out my mistakes, be my guest. Maybe I overlooked something.

Some more random info: 1 special charge up (main) decreases required points from 180 down to 166. 1 special charge up (sub) decrease it from 180 down to 176 points. Haven't made anymore tests regarding that. But if I take the info from my run speed up and special charge up tests, I can conclude that A: If you stack main abilities, the second and third one are both worth half as much as the first and B: Sub abilities are roughly as third as effective as a main ability. So those parts seem to be true at least.

Sol64

So I'm gonna assume that's what the guide says right? I made a bunch of tests in the training area and there's no way that ninja squid reduces your swim speed by 25%. I'm not even sure the penalty is working at all. Swimming from the starting line in the training area to the dummy in the middle took me exactly 3 seconds with and without ninja squid on.
To be honest, that's what I've read from someone else (sorry I don't have the scans at the moment, i'll ask him for the remaining skills if possible) and yeah i'm even not sure if it reduces your speed by THAT much at least but the ingame does definitely say there's a decrease in speed. By how much exactly i'm not sure but I haven't suffered from using it.

For the ingame skill's description: Leaves no trace while swimming on inked ground, but reduces swim speed slightly.

And also comeback is: It boosts some of your abilities after respawning (again I don't know for how long so i'm going to say about 10-30 seconds as a guess).

Bisquid

Inkling
To be honest, that's what I've read from someone else (sorry I don't have the scans at the moment, i'll ask him for the remaining skills if possible) and yeah i'm even not sure if it reduces your speed by THAT much at least but the ingame does definitely say there's a decrease in speed. By how much exactly i'm not sure but I haven't suffered from using it.

For the ingame skill's description: Leaves no trace while swimming on inked ground, but reduces swim speed slightly.

And also comeback is: It boosts some of your abilities after respawning (again I don't know for how long so i'm going to say about 10-30 seconds as a guess).
That'd be interesting to see what the guide actually says about ninja squid, because if it really says 25%, who knows what other numbers might be wrong (wouldn't be the first time for a strategy guide to have wrong information). I think the speed penalty is 5%, maybe it becomes more apparent when you try to swim for a longer time than 3-5 seconds like I did in my tests. All I can say is that the penalty seems to be pretty much insignificant and ninja squid is definitely a great ability.

kinetik07

Senior Squid
@Bisquid Bought the eGuide(it has no concept art...)

"With Ninja Squid equipped, you leave no trace while swimming on horizontal surfaces and ramps in squid form. However, you’re still visible while swimming on vertical walls. The reduction in swim speed for each is negligible. This ability is perfect for sneaking up on opponents or making stealthy escapes. This ability is restricted to clothing as a main ability."

"Comeback increases Ink Saver (Main), Ink Saver (Sub), Ink Recovery Up, Run Speed Up, and Swim Speed Up parameters for 20 seconds after respawning. The decreased ink consumption and increased speed bonuses make you a formidable threat when charging out of your spawn point or Super Jumping to a contested area on the stage. This ability is restricted to headgear as a main ability."

Because the range and spread are incredibly important and an absolutely worthwhile tradeoff. You kill far more efficiently and cover a lot more area in a given amount of time with your splash attack. I find inkstrike strategically superior to the kraken, and honestly more interesting gameplay wise.
@Solcalimari Also, the fling attack deflects shots. It's not called a tank for just being slow

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Has anybody heard about the rerolls being affects by brand name? There's big discussion on reddit and this could save us all tons in cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom