• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Disc vs eShop Version

Which is better: The disc or eShop version of Splatoon?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
D

Deleted Member

I prefer the digital version due to faster loading times, no noise from the disc drive and not having to swap another game out to play Splat.

RamenNoodles

Pro Squid
NNID
waterman12
Physical for life. Plus if your friend wants to borrow it or something you can take it over. Plus if you get bored you can sell it.

Twinkie

Full Squid
NNID
Twinkiman
As with nearly all games I buy (except PC) I buy physical. I just like owning it physically. Since Nintendo doesn't lower the price on their games for digital, and the fact I don't want to buy an external hard drive.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
I usually prefer physical copies as I love to look at my stacks of games and be like, "Wow...I really have a collection". But, at the same time, I'm an impatient/lazy person and get too lazy to change the games or go out to buy them, so that's when I just buy the digital copy. Less work for the same amount of fun.

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
I've always had it in my head that digital games have a higher risk of having your save files become corrupt. I just feel better with a physical copy. Is anyone else like that?

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Eh, the disc's been in my Wii U for just about a year straight, with very few breaks in between, so I might as well have a digital copy. But I do prefer having the physical disk, if only because it doesn't require eating up a big chunk of my hard drive. Also apparently scumming goes by a lot faster with a physical copy as opposed to digital, which is a nice bonus.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The physical version's easier to save scum with, good enough justification for me :P

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
As with nearly all games I buy (except PC) I buy physical. I just like owning it physically. Since Nintendo doesn't lower the price on their games for digital, and the fact I don't want to buy an external hard drive.
It's pretty much the same for me all around, the exception being my PC. I rarely use the disk drives in it.

That being said… Splatoon has sat in my Wii U almost all the time since it came out last year.

dapperlace

Pro Squid
Physical. The WiiU has limited space and I don't have the cash to spare on an external storage unit at the moment.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Physical. The WiiU has limited space and I don't have the cash to spare on an external storage unit at the moment.
Given the multiple arbitrary restrictions before the Wii U will let you use external storage, you're better off without.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Game came with a Wii U bundle, so digital. However, I would prefer physical so I could loan it out to family, friends, and acquaintances. Problem is, even with meatspace friends and family living in other cities, states, and countries, I'm the ONLY blasted person with either a Wii U or 3DS. Not even my co-workers who play video games own either one as well.

Forever
Nintendo alone~...

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I've always preferred physical copies. The only digital copies I will really purchase are games that are only available in digital format. I think it's the sense of collection. It's kind of nice to have the cases for the games and all that. So I'd prefer physical on any system. The PC is really the only one I will buy digital games for since it's easiest. :P

SymphonyWalrus

Inkling
NNID
SymphonyWalrus
This was actually the first game I've ever purchased digital rather than physical. I was lazy and bored one weekend and the closest retail store didn't have the game in stock so I broke down and bought online against my better judgement, but really no complaints so far. As others have said it does seem to load/run faster. I don't know what I'd ever do if my eStore account doesn't recognize I own the game D:

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I got the physical copy on Day 1, since I pre-ordered the special edition from Amazon (£40 for the game and Squid Amiibo). The fact that the Squid Amiibo was exclusive to that pack in Europe, I decided the extra £10 was worth it as it gave me one of those "Gone in 10 seconds forever" Amiibo, although Ninty has now improved their Amiibo stocking recently. Either way, I dislike Digital, since Nintendo has handled it awfully, the prices are way too inflated for retail, and the games are tied to the console, rather than tied to the NNID, meaning if the console is gone, so is the game(s). That can also be said for the disc being sat in, but people could take it out so if the console was stolen or broken, the game would still be with you. Nintendo needs to tie to the NNID, and if you have your console stolen, then you contact Nintendo, they brick said console (they'll know which one it is), so the thief can't use it, then they send you downloadable codes to reclaim your lost games. Also as said before save scumming is so much easier on physical, so physical has the edge there. I don't think load times make a difference online, since you'll still be waiting for those loading on disc anyway, it only really affects the offline parts of the game.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
Hmm... I kinda thought people would talk about the frames problem here. Like, is it better to have the digital version to play Studio and Skatepark. I'm kinda curious about it.

Squix

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
DetSweg
The disc scums better, and that's why I wish I had that. You can have another disc in the Wii U while playing. Obviously disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom