• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Discord Hacked

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
As some of you are aware, The Spawn Point Discord was unfortunately hacked. Some of you were either kicked without warning, or left to stay away from the hacker. We are working on resolving this unfortunate event right now. For now, do not try to rejoin and we will keep everyone updated on whats going on. We won't let a hacker destroy our server! X3

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
DM me when it's fixed. Knew something had to be up for CowLand to bail.

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
Has the Spawn Point being hacked been a problem in the past? I mean, why hack a Splatoon server? A mostly inactive one at that!

Babycowland

Semi-Pro Squid
Has the Spawn Point being hacked been a problem in the past? I mean, why hack a Splatoon server? A mostly inactive one at that!
The hacker hacked Ika's system. I don't know that they were targeting TSP in particular. They may just have been trying to mess with Ika.

Needless to say, it's really messed up.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Is Ika alright? I figured if she was the vector, then likely it's something aimed at her.

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
Is Ika alright? I figured if she was the vector, then likely it's something aimed at her.
I'm doing okay. I've got my system back under my control, and I've closed the hole I think they used to get into it. (I don't know how they got into my network though.) The emotional damage is another story, but I'm slowly recovering from that.

The only thing that's ever happened before was an issue between two then-members.

Now, as @Babycowland said, I was the actual target. In addition to the hell they unleashed on our Discord chat, they:
  • Stole some of my money.
  • Modified the settings of the Mee6 bot for the servers I'm an admin of.
  • Did something with my Twitch account (I suspect I'm probably now banned from some channels.)
  • Either made my Discord account leave, or got it kicked/banned from several servers.
  • Attempted to deface my website. (They only changed my local copy of it.)
  • Caused my computer to output hateful messages from the speakers.
And this is only what I know they've done. Chances are I'll discover more as time goes on.

Award

Apparently I've been missing way too much action. Turf War has gone IRL!

I'm doing okay. I've got my system back under my control, and I've closed the hole I think they used to get into it. (I don't know how they got into my network though.) The emotional damage is another story, but I'm slowly recovering from that.

The only thing that's ever happened before was an issue between two then-members.

Now, as @Babycowland said, I was the actual target. In addition to the hell they unleashed on our Discord chat, they:
  • Did something with my Twitch account (I suspect I'm probably now banned from some channels.)
  • Either made my Discord account leave, or got it kicked/banned from several servers.
And this is only what I know they've done. Chances are I'll discover more as time goes on.
Yikes. How did they manage to get in, and do you have any idea who you think it might be? I'd assume since you said you have a Twitch account and do some streams, it probably comes from someone on that end since that's a point of public exposure? Since money was involved, I presume you've taken this to law enforcement for investigation (they may require forensics into the network), to go after the perpetrators (unless you know the perpetrators to be foreign-based, I suppose.)

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
Apparently I've been missing way too much action. Turf War has gone IRL!
I probably should be a bit angry with you for that comment, but it's too funny for that!

Yikes. How did they manage to get in, and do you have any idea who you think it might be? I'd assume since you said you have a Twitch account and do some streams, it probably comes from someone on that end since that's a point of public exposure?
Like I said, I don't really know how beyond breaking into something I already had put in place for myself.

As for who, I have almost no clue. I've talked to several people about this and I've heard them propose that the perpetrator is…
  • Some foreign attacker I have no connection to in any way.
  • A random person on Twitch (as you've proposed).
  • Someone from a Discord server I'm in.
  • Someone from the college I attend.
  • My ex.
  • An old acquaintance or enemy of mine.
I don't really have anything that would clue me in more specifically. It's rather unfortunate in a way, but there are plenty of people with the motive, means, and opportunity.

Since money was involved, I presume you've taken this to law enforcement for investigation (they may require forensics into the network), to go after the perpetrators (unless you know the perpetrators to be foreign-based, I suppose.)
No. And I won't. I've only had bad experiences with law enforcement around where I live. And I certainly can't afford them confiscating my computer as “evidence”!

Last edited:

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
Yikes. How did they manage to get in, and do you have any idea who you think it might be? I'd assume since you said you have a Twitch account and do some streams, it probably comes from someone on that end since that's a point of public exposure? Since money was involved, I presume you've taken this to law enforcement for investigation (they may require forensics into the network), to go after the perpetrators (unless you know the perpetrators to be foreign-based, I suppose.)
This isn't really our place to be asking questions or making suggestions as to what to do about all of what happened recently with the Spawn Point discord and to Ika herself. It sucks that it happened and screw whoever did it, but I don't think Ika really appreciates us talking about a personal matter here relating to her. We don't know all of the facts here. No one does.

Award

I don't really have anything that would clue me in more specifically. It's rather unfortunate in a way, but there are plenty of people with the motive, means, and opportunity.
Hmm, and without knowing even probable sources of where the attack originated from, it makes it all that much harder to predict/defend a second attack. What you've described sounds primarily like a targeted attack more than a random target of opportunity attack. And now that I think about it attacking discord specifically is an odd choice for an opportunistic attacker. It doesn't narrow the field TOO much but it seems likely you could eliminate "random foreign attacker" or even "some random university person" and narrow to people who know you and know your involvement in video games (or know you only from video games such as Discord or Twitch.) Probably not too helpful, but it's something to keep in mind.

No. And I won't. I've only had bad experiences with law enforcement around where I live. And I certainly can't afford them confiscating my computer as “evidence”!
Understandable. Generally local police are near useless with electronic crimes anyway, and rarely does it get escalated to federal agencies for individual cases, but I figured I'd throw that out there since money was involved it was an option (and if it involved a bank at all they might escalate it), but yeah, computer confiscation is always a possibility at least for them to keep it long enough to run forensics on it.

This isn't really our place to be asking questions or making suggestions as to what to do about all of what happened recently with the Spawn Point discord and to Ika herself. It sucks that it happened and screw whoever did it, but I don't think Ika really appreciates us talking about a personal matter here relating to her. We don't know all of the facts here. No one does.
Maybe, maybe not, but I'd rather be accused of trying to help than not. I deal with secure corporate environments (and the risks therein), so it's kind of instinct to review the situation :) While there's not as many options open to individuals as to businesses (and rarely is it quite as damaging unless it goes into id theft which is generally the same net result as a corporate breach of consumer information), it never hurts to offer ideas that won't be used rather than not offer ideas that would have been helpful. It's better than figuring out 10 years from now "oh if only I'd thought of that!"

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Been ghosting about all my digital haunts this past month due to some meatspace burnout issues. Yet once I get a new discord invite I'll try to figure out if there's anything I can help with where possible.

SystemDefence

Inkling
NNID
Hack
QUOTE="Ikaheishi, post: 218345, member: 10842"]I'm doing okay. I've got my system back under my control, and I've closed the hole I think they used to get into it. (I don't know how they got into my network though.) The emotional damage is another story, but I'm slowly recovering from that.

And this is only what I know they've done. Chances are I'll discover more as time goes on.[/QUOTE]

I have a full idea what happened.

How to avoid:
1. Turn of iP Gateway. Find by doing ipconfig
2. Do NOT chat with person in DM ever again. This leads to him able to ping your ip
3. Whenever you see preson on the Discord Ban them.
4. Disable Telnet and Netsat.

btw happened to me as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom