• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Do you consider turf war to be competitive?

Is turf war competitive?

• Total voters

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
Okay, I wanna know what you guys think about turf war being competitive or not.

Personally I think it is, but there are people that say it's not because you can make a comeback late in the game. Which, to me makes no sense, because YOU CAN MAKE A LAST MINUTE COMEBACK IN LITERALLY EVERY OTHER GAME MODE!!!!

Seriously, comebacks are far from uncommon in ranked and I'd probably have to say they happen about a 1/3 of the time.

I actually lost the last match I would've needed to rank up to A+ because of a sudden overtime upset.

Last edited:

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I think it is acceptable for a tournament, being able to comeback in the last minute is a great "crowd-pleaser", you can see this on many fighting games (Daigo's legendary SF3 comeback).
Maybe for not being on ranked match is the reason some people think it's not "elegible" for tournaments.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
i definitely think so, yes. it might not be quite as involved as ranked modes, but you still need to play well and strategize to win at TW, exactly like any other ranked mode.

i think it works well as a lower tier competitive mode or a "breather" mode. to be honest it's more of a spectator sport than a real tooth-and-nail battle, i feel? watching competitive TW is REAL fun, if anyone remembers those Splatoon tournaments Nintendo streamed (the one with Tentacle difficulties), i'm pretty sure they were Turf War? and they were super exciting to watch, atleast i had a good time watching it with all my friends.

and besides, there's plenty of S-S+ players who aren't that good at TW (myself included), it's very much a completely different mode that requires different strategy and weapons, there's no reason to discount it, as some people do :/

also the comeback comment makes no sense, have any of these people been beaten by overtime? :P

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Vague question is vague xP

The mode is quite easily used for a tornament, but the option to play it with random people in game?

No

I have too much sentiment to view the turf wars option in Splatoon battle lobby screen as competitive.
It's the game mode where I learned to handle the controls
It's the game mode where I tried to start squid parties back before anyone even called them squid parties
It's the game mode where I can draw a happy face or a cat in ink and fight to defend it all match.

A Splatoon free from the pressure of that letter grade staring back at you, where a squid can be a kid
<3

Of course.
I mean, we just had a turf war tournament for NA last weekend, no?

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Are there people competing against each other in turf wars?

Yes, there are.

So yes, it is a competitive mode.

It is simple.

No, turf wars isn't a "serious" balanced mode, but yes, it is competitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom