• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Do you guys think the smash community will make up a large portion of the competitive scene?

kaptinkillem

Inkling
Based on what I saw on Smash boards and from the level of excitement at apex, it seems there was a bit of excitement for Splatoon among competitive Smashers. I for one come from a melee background been playing it for a couple years, and am just starting to take it really seriously. Just who here played smash before being interested in this game. And if you have never watched high level Melee I would be happy to help you discover the greatest game ever made.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
This probably isn't the best place for this thread, but I play Smash competitively, yeah. #Yoshi4Lyfe

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Change the Title to "Will Smashers make a large portion of the competitive scene?" and it'll be enough to stay here.
and then in the OP you could also ask about if they have played smash

Lyn

Premium
Change the Title to "Will Smashers make a large portion of the competitive scene?" and it'll be enough to stay here.
and then in the OP you could also ask about if they have played smash
That would make sense, yeah. Best to do it before an administrator sees it, if he's going to.

Atratus

Inkling
I think it will be a healthy mix. I know many smash fans who are interested as well as many who hate smash that also think this looks amazing.

Splatoon has the potential to bridge some awesome communities together to make a pretty interesting mix of teams.

Lyn

Premium
Splatoon and Smash communities seem to be mostly the same people. I believe if they have Inkling in Smash there is a potential for a strong community overall.

I think Splatoon will pull a lot from the Smash community but I think it'll be important to differentiate the two. Competetive Smash will not translate well to competetive Splatoon for obvious reasons. They are two vastly different games with Splatoon focusing on teamwork and group strategy. I feel Splatoon will take off and create its own unique community; both casual and competetive that is much different than Smash.

proxibomb

Inkling
I'm going to assume a lot of the younger demographic of the Smash Scene (14-17) will be really into the game, and the older not so much. I could be wrong, but you never know.

Lyn

Premium
The Smash competitive scene is likely to take up a majority of Splatoon's fanbase, as they are mostly the same. Anyone who has a Wii U and buys Splatoon likely also has Smash Bros.

DigDeep

Senior Squid
There's already been a lot of crossover before release from some bigger names like Infernoomni so I think the Smash scene will make up a decent size of the Splatoon community. It makes sense, being from the same developer, Nintendo, and on the same system as Smash 4 which has its own competitive scene.

Madame Coleen

Inkster Jr.
Well we are on a thread that's an off-shoot of a Smash thread. lol

But in all seriousness, probably bit, though for a lot of people it might be a bit much to try and keep up with two VERY different kinds of games.
Though considering it IS a Nintendo game if it shows up mostly at Smash events for tournaments (if that happens) then I could see a lot more overlap.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
possibly, considering a lot of smash players seem to have interest in the game. they're definitely going to be sister communities, now that squidboards is running on the same architecture as smashboards

Lyn

Premium
possibly, considering a lot of smash players seem to have interest in the game. they're definitely going to be sister communities, now that squidboards is running on the same architecture as smashboards
You have basically explained how I feel about it, I mean, Smashboards even links to Squidboards! You can't get any closer than that, honestly.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
there might even be some overlap from the tf2 community, but only a little. people i've scrimed with and some people on tf.tv all agree that splatoon looks cool, but considering tf2 is on pc and smash is on nintendo consoles, the most overlap will clearly be from smash

FlareHabanero

Increases the Excitement
Yes it will, but let's just hope that the stigma that is hurting the Smash community stays in the Smash community. Splatoon is going to have it's own rhythm, no need to taint it.

Reactions: Lyn

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Yes it will, but let's just hope that the stigma that is hurting the Smash community stays in the Smash community. Splatoon is going to have it's own rhythm, no need to taint it.
by "stigma that is hurting the smash community" i assume you mean people bashing other people's games? while that kind of behavior is on smashboards, it's really not that prevalent. honestly the most game bashing i've seen is on reddit, and there's not a lot of crossover from /r/smashbros onto smashboards, thankfully

Lyn

Premium
As long as they don't take any features out of Splatoon 2 or etc; that will hurt the competitive community I don't believe it will be an issue.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I think that any competitive smasher who doesn't mind shooting games will see this as a fun alternative.
They'll see that there is something else that is competitive and will at least try it out.
In the beginning a majority will be smashers. But as time goes on and the game does great on Twitch, like others have said it will become its own thing and will attract a lot of new players into competitive play

The communities only bash each other, b/c the games are 2 from the same series. There was an initial thought that only one would survive (melee and sm4sh). But this is Splatoon an ENTIRELY different game and genre. No need for fighting towards splatoon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom