• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Do You Warm-Up Before You Play?

WïçK3d_BOI

Inkling
NNID
EchoMcBrobro
Switch Friend Code
SW-1227-1403-3530
A thought that’s been on my mind for a while thanks to my interest in Splatoon’s growing competitive scene. Do you like to warm-up with practice shots in the shooting range? Or maybe you do recon on the maps in rotation? Playing a couple rounds of Turf War to get game ready? I’m curious to read how everyone approaches the game. Also I’m insta-liking anyone sharing their practice routines for specific weapons/sub-weapons/specials/movement techs.

Last edited:

Emperor

twitter.com/Former_Eminence
I would highly recommend doing warm-ups until you feel comfortable. I've been doing so myself and I've noticed my aim and movements are a lot more precise before I hop in a few turf wars.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
The firing range is so so so so so important. I promise everyone it's not a waste of time. For charger I do all of these. The super important ones for me are the bamboozler one and the squiffer one where you just put yourself amidst all the moving dummies and just move around and shoot them at different angles and snapping. That one goes for all weapons really. Sometimes I'll end up spending quite a bit of time just sub-strafing and shooting them to practice that. Also good for practicing readjusting your aim at different angles for blasters, sloshers, shooters, nozzlenoses, dualies, literally every weapon class. I also practice snapping with chargers and blasters and practicing 180s and confusing movement. This helps to practice close and personal 1v1 situations where you shoot once, move, shoot once, etc. until they die (this goes for blasters or charger partial shots). I usually don't go into ranked until I'm feeling really good about my aim - otherwise I miss some really stupid easy kill opportunities. Basically, I could do stuff like this for hours and not get bored.
I also really enjoy practicing turns and 180s and 90s and back and forth and all that stuff on the rapid blaster. It's fun. Also helps with these semi-okay clips
Also important snapping up to the higher targets from ground level and getting used to that sort of thing so you can consistently shut down splashdowns.
Also, when I first learned how to use inkjet, I just threw on a bunch of special charge and painted for special and practiced getting used to aiming with the bullet velocity on the moving dummies and then reset and repeat over and over to get good at it. Reason being you really don't get that many opportunities to practice inkjet in battle if you don't know how to use it at all yet.

Yeah anyways I love the firing range.

WïçK3d_BOI

Inkling
NNID
EchoMcBrobro
Switch Friend Code
SW-1227-1403-3530
I would highly recommend doing warm-ups until you feel comfortable. I've been doing so myself and I've noticed my aim and movements are a lot more precise before I hop in a few turf wars.
Do have a specific routine you do for warming up? I try to warm up in the shooting range on occasion but I quickly turns into me messing around since I go in with nothing to focus on lml. It’s why I usually jump straight into rank or maybe start with SR for a bit if it’s open.

WïçK3d_BOI

Inkling
NNID
EchoMcBrobro
Switch Friend Code
SW-1227-1403-3530
The firing range is so so so so so important. I promise everyone it's not a waste of time. For charger I do all of these. The super important ones for me are the bamboozler one and the squiffer one where you just put yourself amidst all the moving dummies and just move around and shoot them at different angles and snapping. That one goes for all weapons really. Sometimes I'll end up spending quite a bit of time just sub-strafing and shooting them to practice that. Also good for practicing readjusting your aim at different angles for blasters, sloshers, shooters, nozzlenoses, dualies, literally every weapon class. I also practice snapping with chargers and blasters and practicing 180s and confusing movement. This helps to practice close and personal 1v1 situations where you shoot once, move, shoot once, etc. until they die (this goes for blasters or charger partial shots). I usually don't go into ranked until I'm feeling really good about my aim - otherwise I miss some really stupid easy kill opportunities. Basically, I could do stuff like this for hours and not get bored.
I also really enjoy practicing turns and 180s and 90s and back and forth and all that stuff on the rapid blaster. It's fun. Also helps with these semi-okay clips
Also important snapping up to the higher targets from ground level and getting used to that sort of thing so you can consistently shut down splashdowns.
Also, when I first learned how to use inkjet, I just threw on a bunch of special charge and painted for special and practiced getting used to aiming with the bullet velocity on the moving dummies and then reset and repeat over and over to get good at it. Reason being you really don't get that many opportunities to practice inkjet in battle if you don't know how to use it at all yet.

Yeah anyways I love the firing range.
My man came through with Drills! I was hoping so one would post something for sniping, and this does not disappoint. Didn’t realize how rhythmic the process of charging, aiming and snapping was for the charger- class. This is gonna be fun to try. On another note: how long did it take to grow the extra finger you need to sub strafe comfortably???

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
My man came through with Drills! I was hoping so one would post something for sniping, and this does not disappoint. Didn’t realize how rhythmic the process of charging, aiming and snapping was for the charger- class. This is gonna be fun to try. On another note: how long did it take to grow the extra finger you need to sub strafe comfortably???
Haha I like me some drills! As for the sub strafing, it didn't take all that long. You just have to be able to quickly switch from ZR to R with your index finger and hold it there as you go in and out then switch back to ZR when you want to fire.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Bass ackwards, baby boi!!

...though not entirely by choice. ¬¬;

I often don't get much playtime, so I just go. I'll use direct play as my warmup. Thus things like drills, weapon exercises, recon mode, and rewatching clips become part of my cooldown instead.

However, if I do manage time to be proper about warming up it becomes more of a weird meditation exercise than actual practice.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Haha I like me some drills! As for the sub strafing, it didn't take all that long. You just have to be able to quickly switch from ZR to R with your index finger and hold it there as you go in and out then switch back to ZR when you want to fire.
Or, you know, put your index finger on the bumpers and your middle finger on the triggers.

I have to usually train my aim for hours to get it back to where it should be. I've found that playing league or private battles with similarly levelled players is the best.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Or, you know, put your index finger on the bumpers and your middle finger on the triggers.
I'm sure this is going to come across as an ignorant question, but is there any disadvantage of playing using index and middle finger on the bumpers and triggers respectively? For example, in a panic situation you're more likely to pull both fingers at the same time, or your index finger is more responsive than middle, or something to that effect. I play using only my index fingers, but I guess it's purely habitual from my N64/GC days.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I'm sure this is going to come across as an ignorant question, but is there any disadvantage of playing using index and middle finger on the bumpers and triggers respectively? For example, in a panic situation you're more likely to pull both fingers at the same time, or your index finger is more responsive than middle, or something to that effect. I play using only my index fingers, but I guess it's purely habitual from my N64/GC days.
I never use my middle finger (maybe it's because I use separate joycons idk) because it feels weird and I think holding it that way would give me pain after doing it for 1000 hours. It's really not that hard to volley between the two buttons with the index finger. Als my index finger has the muscle memory now. And my middle finger doesn't have the same strength and agility as my index finger because naturally your index finger should be stronger.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
You have a LOT more travel time when only using one finger as appose to two. Sub strafing is also much easier. Personally, I consider it more comfortable to hold like this.

WïçK3d_BOI

Inkling
NNID
EchoMcBrobro
Switch Friend Code
SW-1227-1403-3530
I have been doing the sniper drills you put me on to and I gotta say, they are really growing on me! So far I can hit the three stationary targets in the ground level with decent rhythm. I also feel a slight improvement in my overall accuracy when I use my usually weapons. I've also been using the charger in Octo Valley to get a little more situational practice and work on my splat bomb techs.

WïçK3d_BOI

Inkling
NNID
EchoMcBrobro
Switch Friend Code
SW-1227-1403-3530
Bass ackwards, baby boi!!

...though not entirely by choice. ¬¬;

I often don't get much playtime, so I just go. I'll use direct play as my warmup. Thus things like drills, weapon exercises, recon mode, and rewatching clips become part of my cooldown instead.

However, if I do manage time to be proper about warming up it becomes more of a weird meditation exercise than actual practice.
Lml I feel your pain! I been feeling it a lot more since I started starting my switch with my roommate again. I usually keep my warmups brief. Let's say like 10-15 mins. Then I jump in my matches. What do you meditate bout? Previous matches or something?

Reactions: the

WïçK3d_BOI

Inkling
NNID
EchoMcBrobro
Switch Friend Code
SW-1227-1403-3530

I have to usually train my aim for hours to get it back to where it should be. I've found that playing league or private battles with similarly levelled players is the best.
I tried that once it felt so gross lml. My body just rejected the idea of playing like that. I got one use for my middle finger and that ain't it!

Reactions: the

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
What do you meditate bout? Previous matches or something?
Mainly just focus on the action I'm performing. For example, if I'm training on the fuse time and ricochets of curling bombs then little matters beyond ricocheting the curling bombs and adjusting their timers.

Eventually I instill the pattern recognition and muscle memory to pull off a curling bomb trickshot on the fly with hardly any thought given to performing it.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
You have a LOT more travel time when only using one finger as appose to two. Sub strafing is also much easier. Personally, I consider it more comfortable to hold like this.
Sub strafing in combat is something I haven't been able to pick up. I feel like I just lack the reflexes and calm thinking to pull it off; I've never been great in close quarter situations.

Even so, it's something I do routinely in Salmon Run, so that alone seems like a good reason to adjust. Guess it's time for me to make a shift in my playstyle, just like switching from dual-sticks to motion controls in S1 and look how well that turned out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom