• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Does anyone know any tips on improving Splatoon's connection?

RamenNoodles

Pro Squid
NNID
waterman12
Every time I play Splatoon 1 minute in I get disconnected. Can someone help me fix this problem?

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
(From the Nintendo Support Site)

Situation:

• You are disconnected while playing against others online.
  • If this issue occurs often, this is likely the result of a slow Internet connection or poor wireless environment.
What to Do:
  1. Visit one of the following sites using the web browser of a device connected to your network (other than your Wii U) and test your Internet speeds:
  2. If you find your download is below 1.5Mbps or your upload is below 1Mbps, this indicates the issue is likely related to your Internet service. Please contact your Internet Service Provider, or a network administrator, for further assistance.
  3. If the test results appear OK, then it is likely your Wii U may be receiving a poor wireless signal from the wireless router, attempt the following troubleshooting:
    • Check the location and distance of your wireless router.
      The further a device is from your wireless router, the weaker it's signal strength will be. If your wireless signal has to pass through any walls or floors, this will also weaken the wireless signal strength. Move the router to a central location within your home and as close to your Wii U as possible.
      Additionally, if your router is on the floor, moving it to a higher location can improve the signal strength.
    • Change the wireless channel your router is broadcasting on.
      Wireless routers can broadcast on a variety of channels. Sometimes a specific wireless channel may experience interference from other devices and routers nearby. How to
    • Move any metal objects or electronic devices away from your Wii U console and wireless router.
      Metal objects and electronic devices may interfere with wireless signals. If you have any of these, such as filing cabinets, speakers, power strips, glass, or cordless phones, next to your console or wireless router, move them away.

*reference
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14838/~/splatoon:-a-communication-error-has-occurred.

Loak

Inkling
NNID
POMF_Loak
So, does the official site seriously not recommend getting an Ethernet adapter?
Yeah seriously, get an ethernet adapter. The fact that the WiiU doesn't have one built in was a mistake.

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
An Ethernet adapter won't do any good if your internet connection is slow/unsteady or has a bad ping.
It only helps if the wireless signal in your home is hampered (too much distance to the router or too much interference from other devices). In that case it's wise to tackle the underlying problem (shutting off other devices, relocating the router or the Wii U or getting/building a wifi repeater), if possible, instead of dealing with the symptoms.

Last edited:

D3ku

Inkling
NNID
Lucias64
I seriously doubt its his actual internet. The wii u's built in wifi just sucks. I get 35-40mbps, and I was still disconnecting like crazy. The problem is the ports that Nintendo uses for wifi are between 1 and 65535 aka the whole range. That is not feasible, and is a HUGE problem on their part. I gave up and got a wifi adapter, but I had another problem. My system was too far away from my router, and I could not use a long ethernet cable without losing the ability to close my door. I ended up getting a pair of powerline adapters which is a wifi/ethernet hybrid adapter. If you cannot use actual ethernet cord, I suggest looking into powerline adapters.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
It can very often be just the Wii U itself. All my devices with not a single exception aside from the Wii U run on a minimum of 40Mbps. The standard in my household is around 47Mbps. Only my Wii U runs on constant 13-15Mbps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom