• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Does the Tentatek Splattershot/Octoshot need damage up?

Xano

Inkling
I see quite a few builds splattershot builds with damage up now. Do they need it or are they wasting ability slots?

Chewi

Full Squid
NNID
IronChefCanada
I see quite a few builds splattershot builds with damage up now. Do they need it or are they wasting ability slots?
It turns from a 3 shot kill to a 4 shot with one defense-up main or more. It takes 1 damage-up sub ability to counter one defense up main, and 3 subs/1 main damage-up to counter two defense-up mains.

It is not mandatory to run damage up, but some (myself as well) find it helpful.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Here's my standard Tentatek Splattershot build:

I feel speed, strength, and a little special charge and defense to be the most important abilities to run when I use the Tentatek/Octoshot. This combo has proven to be very effective for me personally.

Of course, I see a lot of people with different sets. Some use a lot of of run speed and swim speed focusing only on speed, especially in S+ ranked. I think the Tentaek Splattershot is the kind of weapon that can have a bunch of different viable ability sets, considering how versatile it is.

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
It just depends on how important you find having a 3HKO is to you; Splattershots have to make the same decision as the .52 Gal users do with their 2HKOs.

It's worth noting that with the regular Splattershot, Damage Up benefits Burst Bombs a good deal, and since they are tied to both its Sub and Special Weapons, that's a great investment for it.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Is there a real difference in stats between the tentatek and the regular splattershot, or is it just the sub?

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
Is there a real difference in stats between the tentatek and the regular splattershot, or is it just the sub?
Just the kits, same can be said for all alternate weapons.

Splattershot's fire rate/time to kill is good enough to not warrant mandatory Damage Up, honestly. If you're able to get a good position on an opponent, which you should, the 4 shot kill won't mean anything.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
There is no difference in stats. There never is when comparing an original to a "sticker" weapon, the only differences are subs/specials.

JoshDaBoss27

Inkster Jr.
Nintendome has a video on this. with the recent nerf, it still kills with the same amount of hits. Unless they have at least 1 defense up main. Then it takes an extra hit. But that can be countered with 1 damage up ability, which is why you are seeing this recent tentatek + damage up pattern.
Stay fresh!

Last edited:

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Just the kits, same can be said for all alternate weapons.

Splattershot's fire rate/time to kill is good enough to not warrant mandatory Damage Up, honestly. If you're able to get a good position on an opponent, which you should, the 4 shot kill won't mean anything.
oh, ok. Don't know why I thought otherwise. Sorry for the late reply.

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
The tentatek is my main weapon, and generally I don't use any damage up (I prefer having run speed up mains).

I think it is pretty powerful as is, so making it a 3 shot instead of 4 shot kill doesn't really seem that worth it.

I think chargers are the only weapons that can really make good use of damage up.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
splattershots will stack damage because it helps burst bombs
Yes. I've noticed a difference when not running at least 1 damage up main with burst bombs. I can easily get the three hit kill with burst bombs with only 1 main, but this is a lot less reliable without any damage ups.

As for the tentatek, iirc only one sub is needed to cancel one defense main, so that is what I usually use. However, I've noticed a lot more defense up lately and that 4th hit is actually pretty detrimental. Especially against opponents with a similar TTK, it can turn a win into a trade or worse.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
Yes. I've noticed a difference when not running at least 1 damage up main with burst bombs. I can easily get the three hit kill with burst bombs with only 1 main, but this is a lot less reliable without any damage ups.

As for the tentatek, iirc only one sub is needed to cancel one defense main, so that is what I usually use. However, I've noticed a lot more defense up lately and that 4th hit is actually pretty detrimental. Especially against opponents with a similar TTK, it can turn a win into a trade or worse.
the tenta is fast enough that it doesnt matter much, i mean obviously it can matter. but if you really want to avoid 4hit kill you need more than one sub
nobody in high ranks uses just one defense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom