• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

DragonBall Thread

BedBison

Inkster Jr.
So, in case you somehow missed it, a new Dragon Ball anime, Dragon Ball Super was announced.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...s-1st-new-tv-anime-in-18-years-in-july/.87608

Because of this, I thought it would be cool to make a Dragon Ball thread to discuss all of our hopes and theories for the new anime, and just talk about the series in general.

Personally, my biggest wish is for them to find a way to not make the human characters (and Piccolo) not so useless. So maybe while Goku and Vegeta are out fighting the big guys there could be a sub-plot going on with those characters, or something along those lines.

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
Hell yeah, I love DB! Honestly I always thought that Piccolo was slept on, he was clearly very powerful and a much better tactician than either Vegeta or Goku so I agree I'd like to see him played off of more. Also, maybe we can have Vegeta actually beat a villain for once? I mean canonically he's stronger than Goku in every transformation with his only drawback being lack of access to SSJ3. Honestly though the only other characters I'd want to see much fighting out of are Majin Buu, Android 18 and Gohan since they haven't got to do much since their respective arcs. It really sucks that Toriyama had such meddlesome editors before, hopefully he can write the story he truly wants to this time, if it's anywhere as good as Battle of Gods then I'll be satisfied!

Btw, does anybody else play Xenoverse? I really dig that game a lot, it's the DBZ game I always wanted as a kid.

BedBison

Inkster Jr.
Hell yeah, I love DB! Honestly I always thought that Piccolo was slept on, he was clearly very powerful and a much better tactician than either Vegeta or Goku so I agree I'd like to see him played off of more. Also, maybe we can have Vegeta actually beat a villain for once? I mean canonically he's stronger than Goku in every transformation with his only drawback being lack of access to SSJ3. Honestly though the only other characters I'd want to see much fighting out of are Majin Buu, Android 18 and Gohan since they haven't got to do much since their respective arcs. It really sucks that Toriyama had such meddlesome editors before, hopefully he can write the story he truly wants to this time, if it's anywhere as good as Battle of Gods then I'll be satisfied!

Btw, does anybody else play Xenoverse? I really dig that game a lot, it's the DBZ game I always wanted as a kid.
Well in Battle of Gods (Spoilers if you haven't seen it) Goku gets defeated by Beerus almost immediately while Vegeta put up a better fight. Goku couldn't stand a chance against against Beerus without going SSG. So I like to think that was them throwing a bone for Vegeta, and maybe we'll see more of that in Super. Vegeta is a much better developed character than Goku, he deserves it. And yeah, 18, Buu and Gohan can still hold their own so hopefully we'll see more of them.

And I played a bit of Xenoverse but I really suck at it and I can't beat The Ginyu Force. I should probably try it again sometime.

Teddy

Senior Squid
NNID
EggplantAlloy
I'm kinda hoping Dragon Ball Super isn't the final title in the west, it just doesn't sound as cool as Dragon Ball Z.

Haven't seen the new movie, but it would be nice if they could improve upon the pacing that made DBZ so hard to watch at times. Trademark of the series or not, certain arcs really tested my patience because it felt like barely anything happened in any individual episode. Having said that, the world and the characters are still charming enough that I'm looking forward to revisiting them either way.

BedBison

Inkster Jr.
I'm kinda hoping Dragon Ball Super isn't the final title in the west, it just doesn't sound as cool as Dragon Ball Z.

Haven't seen the new movie, but it would be nice if they could improve upon the pacing that made DBZ so hard to watch at times. Trademark of the series or not, certain arcs really tested my patience because it felt like barely anything happened in any individual episode. Having said that, the world and the characters are still charming enough that I'm looking forward to revisiting them either way.
Well the reason DBZ was like that is because it was based on a ongoing manga, and because they didn't want the anime to surpass the manga, they had to drag some scenes on to let the manga get ahead. Because this is an original anime not based on a manga, I don't think that'll be a problem.

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
The pacing of the two new movies is pretty stellar to be honest, and DBZ Kai is a great way to rewatch the series as it only keeps in total around 6 episodes of filler content throughout the whole series from Raditz-Buu.

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
I had not heard of the new series. I was a DB fanatic around 99-2000 when it picked up in the West with the advent of more people on the web sharing music, footage, gifs, midi files of songs from the series and the like. I even made a Homestead site (anyone remember Homestead?) that I titled "Vegeta's Shack" and had a bunch of pictures and stuff on it, which made it run really slow back then (I was 10 years old, give me a break).

I'm disappointed that they only gave us westerners the Xenoverse game and not DB Online, but I understand the difficulty with resources and localization. I haven't tried Xenoverse yet, and I didn't really watch DB Kai, because I was busy with college and focused on other things.

If the creator is involved in the making of this new series, like you say, then it might be pretty interesting and worth a look. I was enjoying the new Sailor Moon series until I got sidetracked from it as well, so I'll have to get back on track with both sometime.

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
Yeah, all the new DB content that's been happening in the last couple years, Xenoverse, the movies, and now this series are all penned by the original author. He even made a 3 chapter mini manga to hype up the Resurection F movie.

Oni

Full Squid
Oh god i was so addicted to DBZ as a kid. I watched it like crazy and played Budokai 3 and tenkaichi like all the time >_>

read the manga too. Surprised them getting a new show hasnt been more publicized but it could be great news. hoping it doesnt suck.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I've never watched Dragonball Z or read Dragonball but it does look very cool. ^^

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
Track relevant to current events because of leading up to epic Splatoon Direct presentation tomorrow, even though Splatoon is unrelated directly to DB, aside from being Japanese, and DB games have been on Nintendo consoles in the past.

BoTalksGames

Pro Squid
Content Team
NNID
BjFauble
Dragon Ball is one of my favorite series of all time, so I was EXTREMELY happy to hear that they're making a new series. I still haven't been able to find Revival of F online, though. Need to get on that...

Personally, my biggest wish is for them to find a way to not make the human characters (and Piccolo) not so useless. So maybe while Goku and Vegeta are out fighting the big guys there could be a sub-plot going on with those characters, or something along those lines.
Definitely agree with this. I've always tried to think of ways they could make those characters relevant again and a sub story would work perfectly. Then again, Dragon Ball has never really had two stories going at once. Could be interesting/could be really stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom