• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Dub's Stream Resources

Dubs

Inkster Jr.
NNID
dubspwns
Hey guys! Dubs here!

I've been around video production my entire life. Filming, editing, running audio etc. I'm not really AMAZING at any one thing - but I'm very well rounded and have had a lot of practice in multiple things. I basically do a bit of everything!

My Plan and overall goal
I want to help people stream Splatoon and help organize high-quality, well run Splatoon tournaments! We need more people to stream! It's a great way to advertise and get more people playing the game! Plus - there is a severe lack of quality across ALL streams that I'm hoping to fix.

I'm working on getting a series of guides, overlays/graphics and just resources to help you stream! If I had the money - I'd help you there too! But I'm broke so ggwp.

I will be providing all of this FOR FREE! No charge. I have plans to try and organize live-in-person Splatoon tournaments - HOWEVER I can't guarantee those until I see how the game works and how many people are interested. Chances are - no matter what I'll be running them online at least.

Streaming Equipment List- this is a list of equipment to get you started streaming. I've broken it down into low/mid/high tiers based on price and overall setup. I don't really go over how to use or hook up the equipment. But a lot of it you should be plug-and-play or a few Google searches will help you.

Stream Setup Guide (For Smash 3DS) - This video won't help you with Wii U capture; however it will show you some basics of OBS and I already have it made! For what it's worth - there it is! You can watch it and get an idea of how OBS works at least.

Stream Setup Guide (For Splatoon/Wii U) - Coming soon...maybe? I swear I'm going to try and get it done when I have a free day

Splatoon Overlay Pack - This pack has essential pieces you can use to spiff up your Splatoon stream. I've included the original PSD files so if you know Photoshop you can edit to your liking! I'm giving this away for free but all I ask is that you do not take credit for my work! That is all I ask.

Splatoon Overlay Pack 2 - I'll admit - this pack was a little rushed! But I wanted to put some more stuff out there. I'm working on Pack 3 which is probably going to be more of a mixed collection of elements from the first two pack; but tweaked, adjusted and fine tuned to look top notch!

Questions, Concerns, Suggestions and Bug Reports
Please! Don't hold back questions! If you PM me on the forum or post them below - I'll get to them either way. I love helping with streams! I have a ton of insight and advice I can give you and plan on writing more tips, tricks and guides. If I miss something or release something that is broken - also let me know! I'll fix it ASAP!

I hope these things can be of some use to everyone! Now let's all get ready to stream some Splatoon!

--Dubs

Last edited:

redadil4

Inkster Jr.
NNID
leatherbelt
This is a really good summary of this. My only question is do these streaming equipment work on anything with a hdmi cord? say for example I wanted to record a show on T.V.? Would that work?

Dubs

Inkster Jr.
NNID
dubspwns
This is a really good summary of this. My only question is do these streaming equipment work on anything with a hdmi cord? say for example I wanted to record a show on T.V.? Would that work?
You can't record it directly off the TV. You'd need a cable box (from Comcast, WoW, Mediacom etc) or any device that outputs over HDMI.

But some devices have HDCP. These devices will recognize and block capture cards from recording the source. I believe it was a PS4 - my friend had - we were going to stream a game with an Avermedia Live Game Portable; but because of HDCP all we could see was some Sony splash screen that said "You can't record this." Not sure how many devices have this - but it's something to keep in mind.

There is a work around though! If you get an HDMI splitter it will strip the HDCP from the cable and allow you to stream/record it! Splitters will have one HDMI input and usually 4+ outputs. So you'll need ANOTHER HDMI cable. When shopping for an HDMI splitter I HIGHLY SUGGEST getting a POWERED one; which means the device has it's own power cord. It is one extra thing you have to plug in - but it will give you a better picture and also just work better. Not all HDMI splitters will strip the HDCP! So do some googling before you buy one.

HDCP is not an issue on Wii U's though! Only some devices have it (usually Blueray players)

Last edited:

PikaThePikachu

Inkling
NNID
Comite
Nice! I've been meaning to get into streaming games for a while now, just never had the right resources other than my computer. This is really helpful.

Dubs

Inkster Jr.
NNID
dubspwns
For what it's worth - I've added the first version of the Splatoon Overlay pack.

Version 2 of the pack is already being worked on and close to being finished as well!

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
Perhaps you could go over how to utilize overlays, as those can be wonky if you don't use the exact same software to stream.

Dubs

Inkster Jr.
NNID
dubspwns
I'm going to try and find the time to do a video guide for the splatoon setup; but my Smash 4 3DS video guide (also a free overlay) is listed in the post and many of the concept I go over in that video are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom