• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

E3 2016 Social Thread

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Since nobody started one I figured it might be fun to have an E3 social thread running for friendly mollusks to discuss the goings on both at Nintendo related and non-Nintendo related conferences.

So have you been watching what's been going on so far? Any highlights, low points, games you're excited for for any platform? Still stuck squidding around out of sheer addiction?

I'll go first with yesterday's conferences:

EA might have set a new all time low point for what an E3 convention can do. When I watch EA I expect to see too much FIFA and too much NFL. They did not disappoint. I did however expect more than "So...Mass Effect 4....yeah...more on that later...here's a bunch of studio people saying how awesome it'll be though." Also Unprecidented! Like you've never seen before! A whole new level! Blahblahblah oh look Jade Raymond is on stage as a giant middle finger to Ubisoft....blahblahblah.

Bethesda at least looked a lot more interesting. Dishonored 2 looks like "a better Assassin's Creed meets (old) Theif" Quake...meh...Q3A was the worst quake and it's a reboot of that. I've got Splatoon to fill that niche now :) Not much footage aside from these things though.

So far what looked like an awful Nintendo E3 with "we've just got Zelda" might actually win E3 after all "hey nobody else brought gameplay footage, we've got nothing but hours and hours of ZELDA." :D I'm also looking forward to more Tokyo Mirage footage though it's only a few weeks from release.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Personally I can't wait to see what they have in mind for the new Paper Mario game, if only so I'll have the pleasure of reading page after page of angry fanboy rants. Plus because I seem to be the only person on Earth who didn't think it was utter **** on first glance.

They banked on Zelda U being enough to last them the entire E3 originally, so it'd better look good enough to have justified it. I'm sure I'll end up liking it anyways, though.

Plus they'll have Pokémon Sun & Moon there, and I for one hope they'll have some new stuff to show. (Understandable if they don't, of course.)

Award

Personally I can't wait to see what they have in mind for the new Paper Mario game, if only so I'll have the pleasure of reading page after page of angry fanboy rants. Plus because I seem to be the only person on Earth who didn't think it was utter **** on first glance.

They banked on Zelda U being enough to last them the entire E3 originally, so it'd better look good enough to have justified it. I'm sure I'll end up liking it anyways, though.

Plus they'll have Pokémon Sun & Moon there, and I for one hope they'll have some new stuff to show. (Understandable if they don't, of course.)
Yeah, I'm HOPING for some Paper Mario footage. It wasn't in the list of games they mentioned (Dragon Quest VII, Tokyo Mirage, MH5), but that list said "including." I'd be amazed if Paper Mario, the only new game they might actually have for the Holiday '16 time period weren't included. That's my "big reveal" for this E3 if they do it :)

I think Color Splash looks good, myself, just from the little we've seen and heard. I like the Paper Mario and M&L series, being a big fan of SMRPG:7 Stars, I appreciate all the Mario RPG series (working through Paper Jam currently actually.) I think most of the fanboy rage comes from people who think TTYD is the entirety of the RPG series and nothing else will ever live up to it. Those of us who love Geno and Mallow, gave in to despair long before TTYD even existed and learned to appreciate these series for what they are ;)

If the rumor mill is true, this E3 was SUPPOSED to be the NX reveal before they delayed it. So Zelda wasn't so much that they hoped it would carry but they literally had nothing else. Or more precisely they're working on a bucket load of games that they can't utter a peep about because they can't reveal the hardware it runs on. Rock, meet hard place.

The leaked/revealed screen of link climbing a cliff is intriguging though. A Zelda sandbox, a little parkour....could be interesting. If they're willing to dedicate so much time to the game without worrying about revealing too much they most be confident in the utter massiveness of it. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn out to be an MMO or something! :)

Edit: Not that it's "news" due to leaks...but with confirmation that Scorpio (XBox Two) comes out Holiday 2017 (after not many unique games), implies that PS4.5 (that might be less powerful than XBox Two) will release the same time, and NX releasing Spring 17 (or later?) Means that despite all the complaining people have done about how bad the WiiU's short life was, ALL of Gen8 was merely a stop-gap 4-year generation, and ALL of the big 3 are moving onto Gen 9 in 2017, and Nintendo releases first, like last time. Given the library of ports on PS4, WiiU's lineup looks like a good one for Gen 8! And all of Gen8 seems rather sad. The more this E3 goes on the more Nintendo looks to have been right on track with the industry all along. Unless Sony pulls a magic rabbit out of its hat tonight.

Also, anyone notice that the FFXV demo during the XBox conference looks like a bad Xenoblade X clone? :confused:

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Seeker624
I haven't seen much yet due to school tests, but the Scorpio(XBox Two) has the most jarring video game console design I've ever seen since the Gamecube....

Award

I haven't seen much yet due to school tests, but the Scorpio(XBox Two) has the most jarring video game console design I've ever seen since the Gamecube....
The Purple Lunchbox of Doom? :)

Actually I don't think they've shown the Scorpio yet. Just a bunch of chatter, and some renderings of a theoretical internal circuit-board using two or three whole shades of gray. I imagine it's just fan made prediction images so far.

XStation will now have moar grafiks. And the games will still crash every eight minutes as studios try to cram ever more photorealistic and large scale worlds within a timetable and budget that can never ever accommodate what they intend to do with it (Watch_Dogs, Skyrim, this means you!). Heck even Nintendo's falling into that pit, but not nearly as severely as the others. Hideki Kamiya on stage for MS was jarring. And I don't think Scalebound went over well with the press. It kind of seems like.....Bayonetta branded for Microsoft. But with less personality.

We're now less than 24 hours until Reggie tells us that he has nothing to announce, but to have fun looking at the game we can't play until they start selling the thing they can't announce :D But have heart (container)! In just half an hour we're going to found out about a new Just Dance on WiiU! Time to GET EXCITED ;)

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Hi guys!

I'm not too into E3, although I probably should try to be. (Nintendo just has my kind of games)

Just here for the notifs

Bloop

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2151-0062-7941

oh dear

On a more serious note, i usually just watch Nintendo's stuff and see what people have to say about the other companies. I have no other consoles besides some Nintendo stuff nor can I afford other consoles so I dont see a point in watching games i cant get. Still I try to keep up with what's going on with everybody.
Fe looks really nice but I'm not sure I would actually buy a new console just for that game... I hope Nintendo can pull some surprises (*COUGH*MOTHER3) during their livestream but that's probably a little too much to hope for.

Award

And that glorious image kindly posted by @Bloop above is accompanied by the first third party NX reveal!'

Oh yeah, it's gonna print money....We've got Zelda *AND* weird giraffe butterfly things to a dance number and it's only the start of E3 :rolleyes::D

Award

When rumors said NX was delayed to add VR it looked wrong. When Bethesda said Fallout 4 is coming in VR I thought maybe VR had finally evolved to the point of being right and maybe it was good with where the industry is heading to be adding VR.

Now watching Ubisoft with a bunch of schmucks on stage with hideous cyborg goggles on, and a video feed that looks like a minor evolution of Dactyl Nightmare from the 90's Atari arcade booths that manages to make me dizzy in a 2D Youtube video, this coming from someone who owns a VirtualBoy.....no...I don't think VR's ready for the mass market yet.... :)

Award

@Flareth Paper Mario: Color Splash confirmed for Treehouse tomorrow! [Insert Boromir "Brace Yourself" meme]

Zelda looks amazing so far. Different. Seems like they borrowed from Skyrim a bit much...and the whole overworld feels a little Sony-ish, but in a good way. Classic PS2 Sony. A bit more Westernized....but then, the original was really open world too. N64 era closed all the open world games into pre-determined tracks. It's like a version of Zelda II: Link's Adventure except without sucking :)

I'm also guessing someone during the break told Audrey to STFU. :p

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm totally sold on Breath of the Wild. Halo meets Red Dead Redemption in a throwback to the original Zelda, and you get a Wolf Link to hunt/fight by your side? Instant preorder! Although I'm a little disappointed at the lack of true background music.

Call me biased all you want, but I haven't paid attention to any of the other events so far. Anything worth looking into that I've missed?

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Nintendo announced new amiibo. Wario, Waluigi, Princess Daisy, Rosalina, Boo, DK, and Diddy now have Super Mario amiibo.
There is also LoZ: BotW amiibo confirmed

And Color Splash has a release date. I'll edit with it. (October 7. Oh no.)

And apparently there's a new Mario Party game coming up too.

Award

I'm totally sold on Breath of the Wild. Halo meets Red Dead Redemption in a throwback to the original Zelda, and you get a Wolf Link to hunt/fight by your side? Instant preorder! Although I'm a little disappointed at the lack of true background music.

Call me biased all you want, but I haven't paid attention to any of the other events so far. Anything worth looking into that I've missed?
Halo? Interesting, I hadn't connected it with Halo. I suppose the "tech of the ancients" kind of thing is a little Halo-ish (there better not be Flood) - but it feels to me a lot more Skyrim, or maybe even Morrowind, (not to say it's last gen, but Morrowind was more pure exploration than Skyrim.) It's very Nintendo meets Bethesda....though in reality Bethesda was just a modern take on Zelda. I'm seeing some Xenoblade X in this too....but a lot simpler (thankfully :) Or is that FFXV that looks a lot like Xenoblade X?) And the quests aren't broken like a Bethesda game.

The whole post-apocalypse abandoned ruins thing really seems like it should be something at a Sony conference though. Empty worlds, forgotten civilization, quiet wilderness. It all seems to be Sony's modern vibe (where's the hordes of Re-Dead? :P )

the other events so far that had games that interested me:
EA: Mass Effect 4....oh wait they basically didn't show it.
Bethesda: Dishonored 2 looks awesome. Best non-Nintendo of E3.
Squeenix: Deus Ex :MD....was already supposed to be out months ago though...so that's not much of a "new" presentation. Star Ocean looks interesting too. But I have doubts.
Microsoft: Not a single point of interest.
Ubisoft: Ghost Recon: Wildlands looked a lot better 5 hours ago ;) Also VR stuff. Watchdogs 2 looks ok, but I have a bad taste from the first one...pass.
Sony: The only thing that really spoke to me was that Detroit game that seems like Terminator x Blade Runner x Robocop x Ace Attorney. Looks promising. I'm not a GoW fan but I'm sure a lot of people are thrilled with that.

There were some interesting bits here and there, not too many I have to rush out and pre-order day one. Except Just Dance, of course. NX CONFIRMED!

VR ALMOST had me sold seeing some of the early stuff. That $500 price point....niche product for niche gamers...that won't take it mainstream, even WITH Star Wars. It's telling the mfrs aren't really convinced that they announce their $500 VR headset and handful of games this year in the same breath they release their 4k resolution 2D system the year AFTER. :D

Bloop

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2151-0062-7941
Too much VR for me, not to mention I lack a fat wallet. :B
Sony went ham w their orchestra and Kojima reveal, if you're into those kinds of games it's a good time for you. Alas I'm just a simple Nintendo fan so I'm only excited for Zelda, which looks amazing btw.
I mean, I'm kinda excited for PKMN Sun/Moon but I need to see cooler Pokemon reveals... Not impressed with dog and koala 'Mon. :b Color Splash looks okay...but what they've shown in the past reminds me too much of Sticker Star which I hope will not be the case. I guess we'll see in the future.

Hey Reggie, I'm still waiting on that MOTHER 3 localization yo.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Halo? Interesting, I hadn't connected it with Halo. I suppose the "tech of the ancients" kind of thing is a little Halo-ish (there better not be Flood) - but it feels to me a lot more Skyrim, or maybe even Morrowind, (not to say it's last gen, but Morrowind was more pure exploration than Skyrim.) It's very Nintendo meets Bethesda....though in reality Bethesda was just a modern take on Zelda. I'm seeing some Xenoblade X in this too....but a lot simpler (thankfully :) Or is that FFXV that looks a lot like Xenoblade X?) And the quests aren't broken like a Bethesda game.
I'm going off the games that I've played. Having never played an Elder Scroll game, I wouldn't know how they compare. But the whole aesthetic of a vast open environment with many different biomes, steep cliffs overlooking it all, underground areas with a much more sleek, futuristic design... it reminds me of the first Halo, albeit with real-er monsters and more medieval-ish ruins in the overworld. I did kinda get a Xenoblade X vibe as well, though again I haven't played it so I can't say how true the comparison is.

From what I heard, the Ubisoft conference was some kind of bizarre. I think I may have seen a little bit of it, I'm not sure (was that the one with the South Park game?). Gotta admit, it's a bit sad and a bit hilarious that the first confirmed 3rd-party NX game is a damn dancing one. There's your 3rd-party support, people, take it or leave it, but it ain't gonna do a god damn thing to save your console. XÞ

I'd probably be more invested in Sony's conference if I were a Playstation fanboy growing up. Even if I had a PS4 already, I'd be at a loss as to what games I should get. Knowing me I'd probably just buckle down and get whatever games my friends have, which thus limits me to Battlefield One, maybe Infinite Warfare (much like with Color Splash I'd probably just get it to spite the haters), and Injustice 2. Not that I'd complain, since those do tickle my fancy, but I'd hate to be limited to just piggybacking off of my friends' interests.

Award

Too much VR for me, not to mention I lack a fat wallet. :B
Sony went ham w their orchestra and Kojima reveal, if you're into those kinds of games it's a good time for you. Alas I'm just a simple Nintendo fan so I'm only excited for Zelda, which looks amazing btw.
I mean, I'm kinda excited for PKMN Sun/Moon but I need to see cooler Pokemon reveals... Not impressed with dog and koala 'Mon. :b Color Splash looks okay...but what they've shown in the past reminds me too much of Sticker Star which I hope will not be the case. I guess we'll see in the future.

Hey Reggie, I'm still waiting on that MOTHER 3 localization yo.
Sony always goes ham. Last year they had an outdoor stadium show. But they have the wallet and the corporate approval for it....it's the only part of Sony that's actually MAKING money (aside from battery tech and medical imaging) and is pretty much buying lunch for the rest of Sony corp so they get do do whatever the heck they want to do, and it's hard to deny for an entertainment company, their conferences are certainly an entertainment show :) Orchestra was an awesome touch. It's not going to make me buy $500 cyborg goggles, but it was a fun 2 hours :P

Kojima....amusing...hammy....and I imagine one needs to be on a LOT of LSD for that mess of a trailer to make any sense at all....but the giant middle finger to Konami that it was....there was some joy in there even for us Nintendo fans...if not especially for Nintendo fans. ;)

I'm paying attention to the VR stuff, not so much for the VR itself (I have a PS4...I could buy into their goggles....I'm not going to. They're promoting it because they're the only console with it...They seem to have low confidence in it, but they want to make sure to be cemented in it in case it DOES take off. I think it's 3D TV all over again - for now.) but because of the rumors that NX may have been delayed to add VR. Remember, if Nintendo does it, it'll be in the box at least in the premium package. I don't think they'd redo the full goggle experience, so maybe sunglasses style? And it would carry the 3DS 3d tradition on. Maybe half-VR. Immersive 3DS-style 3D overlayed in sunglasses or something. Remember that it COULD mean that Zelda: BotW....will be in VR ;) At first I didn't want Nintendo to go VR. But seeing the industry gimmick it is, and how poorly it's implemented. And Miyamoto's former obsession with VR before deciding he hated the isolation of it only to bring back 3D on 3DS....I can't rule out he might have begged and pleaded to add it. After all, he's the reason we have Super Stable 3D on N3DS ("If we don't use this (eye tracking tech), there's no reason to make the N3DS!". Before seeing Zelda I didn't care. But the thought of that game in VR....has me more interested. I don't want NX to have VR specifically, but if it does now, my red body is ready:

We'll get a better look at Color Splash in a little while. Supposedly it's sticker-star-ish. But I hope they fixed the trial & error gameplay of the "things" big stickers. That was really the only reason it went downhill, aside from the fan dislike for the level design/mission structure.

I'm going off the games that I've played. Having never played an Elder Scroll game, I wouldn't know how they compare. But the whole aesthetic of a vast open environment with many different biomes, steep cliffs overlooking it all, underground areas with a much more sleek, futuristic design... it reminds me of the first Halo, albeit with real-er monsters and more medieval-ish ruins in the overworld. I did kinda get a Xenoblade X vibe as well, though again I haven't played it so I can't say how true the comparison is.

From what I heard, the Ubisoft conference was some kind of bizarre. I think I may have seen a little bit of it, I'm not sure (was that the one with the South Park game?). Gotta admit, it's a bit sad and a bit hilarious that the first confirmed 3rd-party NX game is a damn dancing one. There's your 3rd-party support, people, take it or leave it, but it ain't gonna do a god damn thing to save your console. XÞ

I'd probably be more invested in Sony's conference if I were a Playstation fanboy growing up. Even if I had a PS4 already, I'd be at a loss as to what games I should get. Knowing me I'd probably just buckle down and get whatever games my friends have, which thus limits me to Battlefield One, maybe Infinite Warfare (much like with Color Splash I'd probably just get it to spite the haters), and Injustice 2. Not that I'd complain, since those do tickle my fancy, but I'd hate to be limited to just piggybacking off of my friends' interests.
I still have yet to open my collectors edition of XCX. I got as far as cutting open the box seal one day when Splatoon was down for maintenance. I didn't open the shrinkwrap on the gamebox yet and the servers came back up so I never got back to it. I SERIOUSLY need to find a way to give up on Splatoon and get to these other game :P

I can see where you're coming from with Halo. I didn't make the connections right away, but yeah I can see what you're seeing about it. I think the link to Bethesda games is a lot more strong. If you've never played one, imagine this: It's exactly what you saw in the zelda overworld, except with far, far, clunkier combat, far more useless items, when you kill a Bulbin they might end up with a ragdoll hovering about 5 feet in the air and interesecting with a tree which may or may not block the entrance to the (non-puzzle) dungeon next to it. Trying to enter the dungeon will cause the game to freeze. After rebooting your console you reload your save from 20 minutes ago. Now YOU have intersected with the ground brush and can see through the water. You realize you need to roll back to a save from an hour ago to fix the problem. There's not much going in in the world around you anyway, but you spend another 200 hours in it and eagerly beg the devs for the next installment and praise it for it's mature, adult oriented gameplay with limitless freedom. :p

Put another way, it's like a Ubisoft game, except more broken, but somehow more character, yet still seems to play better :)

I believe Aonuma mentioned something about having "looked at" Skyrim while making this game...so there's a deliberate sense of "oh, so this is how Westerner's like to play adventure games." Personally I never liked Skyrim. Morrowind was revolutionary (but empty) Oblivion was a beautiful, amazing game that balanced the good and the bad well. Skyrim was an empty open "sandbox" with as much of a "wasteland" as Fallout.. I'm hoping Zelda's a little more Oblivion than Skyrim.

Of course Ubisoft is bizarre...it's Ubisoft :) When looking for "incomprehensibly bizarre" you get two choices, Japan and France. Occasionally Russia as well. Nobody does "WTF did I just see?" like those places. ;) Which is probably why Ubi traditionally does very well in the Nintendo fanbase. (Except the WiiU era.) Only the intro was bizzarre though. Ok, the whole 80's WWF thing was another odd moment that would have made a lot more sense if they did it AFTER the trailer. But the rest was pretty good. Southpark's segment was great, The Trek VR thing was actually good (anything with LeVar as a guest is going to be good!), and the open world snowboarding thing actually looks unique. Ghost recon looks good, but it doesn't look as good as it did last year. Watch_Dogs 2....looks like DLC for Watch_Dogs1....that's not a good sign. Just Dance...well...we got our NX confirm. At least it tells us NX still has motion controls somehow. That's more info than we got from Nintendo :P One thing I noticed is from both Ubi and a lot of other companies a lot of major releases seem to be March instead of holiday now. NX tie ins? I don't know. I almost don't want NX to be a powerful "can run PS4 games" machine. I like the hybrid idea myself. Nintendo NEEDS the hybrid idea. Though I would accept a pocket WiiU = NX.

Sony's fanbase is weird. I was all-Nintendo + Sega as a kid, switched to PC during the N64 & GC eras. I only then really paid attention to that "playstation thing" But around the PS3 era there was this schism that Playstation became PC and abandoned what was cool about PS1 & 2. I suspect those that grew up with PS 1 had something almost as magical (almost!) as us NES/SNES kids. But while Nintendo is mostly still the same magic as the NES, Sony moved on to being something different and they left the magic behind for theatrics and graphics which the new audience mistakes for magic. Most of their games, like XBox seem like wannabe movies, and general button mashers. GoW, MOAR zombie games, etc. Detroit looks new and different (at least if you've never played Ace Attorney?), but so much Sony charm is missing these days. There are a few studios in that world that are intriguing though. Every now and then between the generic sameyness, something truly imaginative happens. Even if it falls on its face, it's at least creative.

Award

Update: Also a "new RPG IP" for 3DS will be shown today. We're getting a new IP reveal! Well there's a last minute surprise!

Award

Update 2: New IP is actually new! We have a genuine new Nintendo IP and they didn't bother mentioning it until an hour before they revealed it :)

It looks experimental, it's called Ever Oasis. It looks like a saccharine cute game that's a cross between Animal Crossing, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Fantasy Life, and a little Rune Factory, etc. Action RPG with a town building, and a gather/sell based economy and puzzle based action combat dungeons. It's made by yet another one of the old Squaresoft crew - it's Koichi Ishii from the SNES FF games, and directed the Mana series. He's apparently the guy that created Chocobos and Moogles.

I'm sorry Squeenix, I couldn't hear you telling me how awesome that diluted mess of FFXV is over the sound of the 3 Nintendo games made by the actual Squaresoft talent that made FF a brand....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom