• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Enperry/ Kensa Splat Dualies: How often should I paint?

NekoBlast

Inkling
I am currently at B/B+ rank, mainly playing Enperry/ Kensa Dualies.

In several recent games I feel like my team is losing turf control, and I don't know what to do about it. Dualies, as I see it, is not very efficient at turf painting, and with the latest addition of Main Power Up, I swapped out my Ink Saver (Main) gear. Now I feel like the only thing that I can do well is splatting people by lurking/ flanking, but without reasonable turf control, things get really difficult.

What should I do for these situations? Should I paint more or just focus on splatting more players?

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I am currently at B/B+ rank, mainly playing Enperry/ Kensa Dualies.

In several recent games I feel like my team is losing turf control, and I don't know what to do about it. Dualies, as I see it, is not very efficient at turf painting, and with the latest addition of Main Power Up, I swapped out my Ink Saver (Main) gear. Now I feel like the only thing that I can do well is splatting people by lurking/ flanking, but without reasonable turf control, things get really difficult.

What should I do for these situations? Should I paint more or just focus on splatting more players?
While, based off of your weapon of choice, it shouldn't really be your "job" to paint, it is soloq, so you gotta do everything yourself lmao. I would say if you really lack map control obviously paint up, but it's not like you need to be constantly painting the whole map the whole game (if you do that I would suggest using an armor/rain weapon like nzap). Just paint ahead the areas you find particularly important for you or your team to control to allow yourself breathing room to move in and do what you need to do.

Don't suicide for kills when you have no paint where you're going. Minimize the risks for making a play by doing such things as aiding teammates, and making sure you have map control. Ideally, you wanna save specials for pushing back the enemy at times of interest, and minimizing their usage to win fights, but sometimes you gotta do it if it'll let you overcome a hurdle to put the match in your favor.

In general, do both. Don't just paint, and don't just stress over getting kills every time you respawn (this usually leads to feeding, a term used to describe pointless deaths, which you obviously wanna avoid). Just paint ahead and around where you wanna go and then get kills. Use bombs to distract and paint, which gives you breathing room to go in for kills.

Be smart. Always be thinking and recognize patterns of mistakes you have in your strategies and learn from them. I don't know how long you've been in B rank, but if it's been a decent while and you're somewhat stuck, then you need to rethink your strategy. Also always good to practice your mechanical skill (aim, general movement), but hopefully I've helped you in some way. Good luck!

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Dualies are actually pretty good painters. If you find an open spot to paint, just dodge into turret mode and spin around for a few seconds. This is the fastest and most thorough way to paint with dualies.

The best way to gain paint control without wasting your time is to just get kills. Safely pushing into the enemy's side, getting kills and just moving around naturally outputs a lot of ink. Just make sure, as Mar$el said, you don't feed. If you see your teammates trying to fight in enemy territory, paint around them and their feet to try and give them the edge in battle.

NekoBlast

Inkling
While, based off of your weapon of choice, it shouldn't really be your "job" to paint, it is soloq, so you gotta do everything yourself lmao. I would say if you really lack map control obviously paint up, but it's not like you need to be constantly painting the whole map the whole game (if you do that I would suggest using an armor/rain weapon like nzap). Just paint ahead the areas you find particularly important for you or your team to control to allow yourself breathing room to move in and do what you need to do.

Don't suicide for kills when you have no paint where you're going. Minimize the risks for making a play by doing such things as aiding teammates, and making sure you have map control. Ideally, you wanna save specials for pushing back the enemy at times of interest, and minimizing their usage to win fights, but sometimes you gotta do it if it'll let you overcome a hurdle to put the match in your favor.

In general, do both. Don't just paint, and don't just stress over getting kills every time you respawn (this usually leads to feeding, a term used to describe pointless deaths, which you obviously wanna avoid). Just paint ahead and around where you wanna go and then get kills. Use bombs to distract and paint, which gives you breathing room to go in for kills.

Be smart. Always be thinking and recognize patterns of mistakes you have in your strategies and learn from them. I don't know how long you've been in B rank, but if it's been a decent while and you're somewhat stuck, then you need to rethink your strategy. Also always good to practice your mechanical skill (aim, general movement), but hopefully I've helped you in some way. Good luck!
Thanks a lot. I've only had rank bar broken for 3~4 times (across all modes), so I guess I am not really stuck.

Still, I am reviewing the way I play this game right now. Now I try to block off important paths so I don't have rollers sneak up on me and my team. Turf control seems to be a constant problem if I keep on playing soloq with a slayer weapon... It is annoying to see sploosh-o-matics and Jr's playing like they are carbon rollers. I guess that's life in soloq: 'If you want something done, you do it yourself.'

I tried the N'Zap for a few games and got surprised how painting turf can make everything easier. Really hope more players realize that on higher ranks so I can focus on the thing I love the most: rolling around and splatting people.

NekoBlast

Inkling
Dualies are actually pretty good painters. If you find an open spot to paint, just dodge into turret mode and spin around for a few seconds. This is the fastest and most thorough way to paint with dualies.

The best way to gain paint control without wasting your time is to just get kills. Safely pushing into the enemy's side, getting kills and just moving around naturally outputs a lot of ink. Just make sure, as Mar$el said, you don't feed. If you see your teammates trying to fight in enemy territory, paint around them and their feet to try and give them the edge in battle.
Oh. I can use the turret mode to paint turf. Why didn't I realize that earlier...

Tried it out in training ground and it works really well! Thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom