• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Fact(s) about yourself

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Post a fun fact or three! In the other forum I frequent, this thread exists and has been hugely successful, so I figured it might be nice to make one here, too. Feel free to make posts occasionally whenever something interesting occurs to you - you're not restricted to a single post on this thread. A great way to get to know the people on Squidboards!

I'll start it off. My entire family is Russian/otherwise Soviet, but I and my immediate family live in the UK and my mother's parents live in the USA.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
A fact about me, eh? Barring the 20 I listed back in January... uh, I have an obsession with the alphabets of the world. Hellenic, Cyrillic, Runic, Gothic, Glagolitic... I really don't know why. I get a kick out of figuring out how to write things in English with them (obviously the runes are the best for this), but it isn't like there's any practical purpose for it. I don't have a machinima or webcomic that make use of them, and no business would ever hire a guy who writes his name as
ⰔⰀⰊⰓⰖⰔ or ᚳᚪᛋᛁᛚᛚᚪᛋ. I guess I study 'em just for the hell of it?

Speaking of which, I've made it a habit to replace every instance of "th" with "þ" in my handwriting. This at least serves the purpose of saving a bit of time, even if it's rather negligible.

v0idStrike_squid-kid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
dlb456network
I

I don't think I've v heard of him, is he a LPer?
Yep, he's an LPer known for bad puns, love of RPGS, crazy freak-outs and epic fails. He yells sometimes (ex: finding a Shiny Koffing in Pokémon Crystal) but not too much. Some of his Let's Plays include:
-Entire Mother series
-Entire Pikmin series
-Paper Mario 1-3
-Pokémon Fire Red, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Colliseum, XD Gale of Darkness,
-Xenoblade Chronicles
-Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Link's Awakening
-Super Mario Sunshine
-Animal Crossing New Leaf
-Okami/Okamiden
-Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars
-Super Luigi Galaxy
-Luigi's Mansion
-Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
-Sonic Colors

and more!!

did I actually type 28/31 of his LPxs from memory...?

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I really need to get back into watching LPS (although I have 101 other things I need to do this summer, including continuing my Japanese studies and doing some coding stuff

I like snow but not winter. I will stay inside if I can. (I live in the 'North' so I have no idea why I'm not used to it)

G

girigiriHERO

my favourite game series is 龍が如く/Yakuza

I've been gaming since the 2600 although I don't remember it well.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I spend an inordinate amount of time watching German LPs. They have been immensely helpful to my grasp of the language, however - I'm more comfortable reading and hearing it than any of the hard-working people in my class other than the actual German guy. So...
I really need to get back into watching LPS (although I have 101 other things I need to do this summer, including continuing my Japanese studies
I'd suggest trying to combine those two! I started watching 20-minute German videos about a year ago and, over that duration, developed from 'pretty good school-level' German to 'good enough to live there' German (actually, I'd estimate that I reached most of my current level within 4 months). Obviously, for Japanese, there's the option of watching anime, but with LPs, one is much more likely to be able to contextually work out what's being said - there's a smaller commonly-used pool of vocabulary, and it's most likely to relate closely to what's going on on-screen. Only negative point is that I imagine my grasp of German when I started watching LPs was much better than your present grasp of Japanese, so it's probably still too early... ? Or I'm seriously underestimating what you've already learned.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I'd suggest trying to combine those two! I started watching 20-minute German videos about a year ago and, over that duration, developed from 'pretty good school-level' German to 'good enough to live there' German (actually, I'd estimate that I reached most of my current level within 4 months). Obviously, for Japanese, there's the option of watching anime, but with LPs, one is much more likely to be able to contextually work out what's being said - there's a smaller commonly-used pool of vocabulary, and it's most likely to relate closely to what's going on on-screen. Only negative point is that I imagine my grasp of German when I started watching LPs was much better than your present grasp of Japanese, so it's probably still too early... ? Or I'm seriously underestimating what you've already learned.
I dunno what you would call good, but I still don't know all of the Level 1 Joyo Kanji yet XD I can sometimes pick out words that I've heard before (or seen, but you can't trust me on that one)
*peeks out* Does listening to Hiro and Ando's conversations on Heroes count? XD

G

girigiriHERO

I dunno what you would call good, but I still don't know all of the Level 1 Joyo Kanji yet XD I can sometimes pick out words that I've heard before (or seen, but you can't trust me on that one)
*peeks out* Does listening to Hiro and Ando's conversations on Heroes count? XD
with phones these days, recognizing Kanji is usually enough, writing it (or the proper stroke order) is becoming less important. The easiest way to learn Japanese though is to hang out with Japanese people, that's how I did it and living in Japan isn't a necessity, Japanese students are everywhere!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom