• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Fanfiction: "The Squid Who Couldn't Be a Kid"

Deku

Senior Squid
NNID
Rolandd
Here's my poor attempt at a story within the squid universe. I'll update this post as I write more chapters (if you guys like it, let me know and I'll feel more motivated to write).

Thirty seconds left. The orange team clearly had less turf than the opposing blue team. Rinka tensed her tentacles for the last few moments. She couldn’t participate in the turf wars yet, but that didn’t stop her from watching all the matches she could.

The orange roller flanked the blue team and took out two shooters, though he died in the process. The orange sniper took advantage of the opening and aced the rest of the team. In a frantic struggle, the orange team covered as much ground as possible. 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . GAME!

Judd the cat judge dragged his plump body in front of the camera. The match could go either way. With a dramatic wave of the flag, Judd declared the orange team as the winner. Rinka let out a loud shout of congratulations; if she was a kid, she’d be smiling from ear to ear. They did it; her friends won a match against a higher ranked team.

“You guys did awesome,” Rinka exclaimed as her friends exited the arena. “Tauli, that was an awesome attack.”

Tauli blushed as he rested the roller on his shoulder and scratched his head. “Thanks, Rinka. I just got lucky they weren’t paying attention to me at the end. Wilp really took care of the hard part.”

Wilp shrugged her shoulders like it was nothing, but Rinka could tell she was happy she was able to use her favorite weapon, the sniper, to win the game.

The two other inklings who played with them approached the group. They were slightly older and more experienced with turf wars. “Hey, you guys were pretty good, especially for newbies,” the girl shooter said. “Want to go for another round?”

“You bet,” Tauli said, getting excited. “Mind if I hit the store first? I could use better equipment.”

“Sure thing,” the guy shooter said. “We can even help you out; we’ve got connections with the shop keepers.”

“Great, let’s go,” Rinka said as she hopped up and down, excited to check out the shop.

“Um,” the guy shooter said, “they don’t allow inklings in squid form to enter their shops. Can’t you transform?”

“Well . . .” Rinka mumbled.

“Rinka can’t transform just yet,” Tauli jumped in, “but I’m sure she’ll be able to soon.”

“We’ll be happy to have you join us later on then, but for now, I’m sorry,” the girl shooter said.

“I’m sorry, Rinka,” Wilp whispered, while patting Rinka's head.

“It’s okay, you guys go on ahead,” Rinka said, somewhat deflated. “I’ll catch up with you later. Good luck with your match.”

After her friends left, Rinka scooted down the street. Since ink wasn’t allowed in public areas, she couldn’t go very fast.

“My, my, my,” a voice said behind her, “if it isn’t Ika the forever squid.” A few laughs echoed his lame joke.

Rinka groaned at her nickname and the inklings who approached her. “Hey, Zander. Saw your match,” she said without even looking at him.

He clicked his tongue. “I would have won, but my teammates held me back.”

“Pretty sure you got the lowest on your team,” Rinka retorted.

“At least I can fight. More than you can say. You’ll forever be a squid and never a kid, Ika. C’mon, let’s jump into the next round.” They left laughing at how much fun they were going to have.

Rinka fumed. She wanted to chase after them and slap them with her tentacles. But, Zander was right; he was a coward and a bully, but he was right. Rinka was almost fifteen years old and unable to transform. She was the oldest among her friends, yet all of them had transformed. She could feel herself drifting away from them as they became more and more involved with the turf wars. Rinka tried to keep up with them through watching their matches, but that could only get so far.

Rinka made her way to the practice course. She might not be able to transform, but she could practice swimming. She swam back and forth, almost desperately, imagining different strategies to use and trying to go as fast as possible; she'd imagine jumping out of the ink for a surprise attack or carefully maneuvering the opponent so her teammate could ambush them.

Exhausted, Rinka checked the time; she'd been at it for hours. She missed her friends' match, but she didn't feel obligated to go to all of them. Rinka felt refreshed. All of her frustration and anger had vanished; if she lost her optimism, she wouldn't have anything left. She stretched her tentacles and yelled at the sky, “Tomorrow's going to be the day.”

Suddenly, the world went dark. Recovering her sense, Rinka realized she was in a sack. She could hear mumbled voices.

“Duh, we got one. We actually catched one.”

“Der, I know, I know. It were all because of my, er, really smart idea.”

Fear gripped Rinka's heart. Octarians! She had thought they had been contained underground years ago. She began to flail around, trying to escape.

“Der, quick, hit it. We don't want it transform.”

Rinka renewed her efforts to escape. However, a sharp pain on her head caused her body to go limp and her consciousness to fade away.

Rinka's whole body ached. She groggily opened her eyes and looked around, confused at the unfamiliar scenery. Four large tarp walls surrounded her with a fake sky drawn on the distant ceiling above. She jolted away as she remembered what had happened to her. She'd been squidnapped by the Octarians!

Rinka immediately tried to swim up the tarp wall, but was unable to make it very far; there was also an overhanging ledge at the top that she wouldn't be able to get past. She wanted to super jump, but she needed to be in her own ink and have a destination where she could land. Still, even though she knew it was impossible, she kept on trying to climb out.

“As fun as this is to watch, I don't think you'll be able to get out like that,” a voice spoke behind her. Rinka nearly jumped out of her skin. She turned around slowly to see who was in the small room with her.

An Octarian was riding a small hovercraft that floated two feet above the ground. He had two tentacles coming out the top of his head and short stubby arms and legs coming sprouting out of his face (or body, Rinka couldn't tell). He looked as ugly as the Octarians did in the drawings she had seen.

“Who are you?” Rinka asked.

“I think a more interesting question would be, who are you?” the Octarian said as he circled around Rinka. He gave her the creeps. “You are the most intriguing specimen I have come across. An inkling who has come of age, yet unable to transform.”

“H-how did you know that?” Rinka stuttered.

“My dear, I am a scientist. I know everything. Well, at least, I know a lot more than you. I bet you don't even know why you can't transform.” The Octarian cackled in laughter as he saw Rinka's confused expression. “I knew it. You don't know.”

Rinka's world began to spin. “You know why I can't transform?”

The Octarian hovered close to Rinka's face; his stench almost caused her to gag. “Yes, I do, but I don't think you'll like the answer.” Rinka scooted back away from the creepy creature, but she paid close attention to what he was saying.

The Octarian hovered back and forth, as if he was pacing. “You see, I've studied many inklings over the course of my life. I've learned how to cause them to transform back and forth, even unconscious. Yet, you didn't. I did some tests; guess what I found?” He smiled, as he knew the pause tortured her. “Traces of Octarian DNA.”

“W-what? I'm obviously an Inkling,” Rinka said.

“That's what I thought as well, but the data does not lie. You are half Inkling and half Octarian. Who knew it was possible? I can almost imagine how miserable you were growing up with a lessor species.”

Rinka collapsed on the ground, her body and mind were completely overwhelmed. She was half Octarian? She wanted to discard it, to dismiss it as impossible. However, she knew that Octarians couldn't transform naturally; it would make sense.

“I've got one more surprise for you,” the Octarian scientist said, jolting Rinka from her internal turmoil. “It should be arriving in three, two, one . . .” Suddenly, a dark shape was thrown into the small room. “I'm sure you two will have a lot to talk about.” With another insane laugh, the Octarian flew up out of the pit.

The dark shape moved, causing Rinka to flinch. It looked like a dark purple mini-octopus, similar Rinka's own squid form. It started to change. Its tentacles morphed in arms and legs and the whole body became humanized. Rinka had seen many transformations by Inklings, but this transformation scared her to death. A real Octoling! The Octarian elite.

The Octoling was dressed in a fully black outfit, where she looked like a spy. Her mask gave her a vicious machine-like appearance. She stared at Rinka. “So, you're the one.” Her voice was cold.

Rinka retreated back into the corner of the room, scared this creature would kill her. “Stay away from me.”

The Octoling removed her mask; Rinka thought she looked beautiful, in a deadly kind of way. “Calm down. Didn't they tell you? I'm your mother.”

Rinka was speechless. Her mother? Rinka indeed did not know her mother, but that wasn't uncommon with Inklings; many Inklings gave their child to the orphanage so they could focus more on turf war; responsibility was not their strong suit. Rinka never felt like she needed to know her parents, because many other Inklings were also in the same boat. However, Rinka was face-to-face with her supposed mother.

“I'm sure you have a lot of questions,” the Octoling continued.

“No, no, I'm fine. No questions from me,” Rinka said, still trying to make herself invisible in the corner.

The Octoling face-palmed. “Jeez, I can't believe my only daughter is such a weakling. I'm disappointed; it probably came from your father's side.” With that, the Octoling sat on the ground with her back to Rinka, completely ignoring her.

Something snapped in Rinka. Despite all that happened to her, she didn't want to be called weak. Her mind became much clearer and her body relaxed. There was no point in worrying about things she had no control over. Also, the person in front of her was a key figure in figuring out who she really was.

After a long moment of silence, she inched closer and spoke softly to the Octling. “Why . . .” Rinka began, unsure of how to ask her question. “How was I born?”

The Octoling turned sharply; Rinka flinched, but held her ground. “That's a good look in your eyes. There might be hope for you yet. How were you born? You mean, how I met your father?” Rinka nodded, and the Octoling paused for a moment before telling her story.

“Your father was a spy sent to scout out the Octarians, and I was a guard on duty. I spotted him and we immediately began combat. Though it was difficult, I managed to beat him and send him back to the spawn-point. The next day, he returned and we fought again. I drove him off again. For days, he kept on returning after I beat him; he could have taken anther way, but he kept on returning to me. He had this intense look on his face, like he lived for the thrill of the fight and to struggle against someone better than he was. Finally, he was able to defeat me. Disappointed I lost, I returned to my post thinking I would never see him again. However, there he was, smiling like an idiot waiting for me to come back so he could fight again.”

Rinka could have sworn the Octoling smiled, but that was impossible; Octolings don't smile. She continued.

“Well, from there, we fought more and more; it wasn't out of hate or duty, like I had been trained, but out of pure pleasure and the need to become better. We fell in love through fighting, and it was beautiful.” She paused again. “But, of course it couldn't last. The other Octarians found his spawn-point and destroyed it. He could no longer return here, and I haven't seen him since. However, I was pregnant with you by this point. To my horror, you appeared to be a full squid. I knew you couldn't stay with me, so I snuck into Inktopolis and mixed you with the other squid babies.”

The Octoling went quiet; she was probably done with her story. Rinka pondered for a moment at the surprisingly simple way her parents met. It was also oddly comforting that her mother cared enough about Rinka to put her in a place where she wouldn't be hurt.

“Mom . . .” Rinka began, though the word sounded strange to her mouth.

“Don't call me that.”

“Sorry, what should I call you?”

“Avery. My name is Avery.”

“Okay, Avery. What happens now? Also, why were you placed in here with me?”

“I can answer that,” a voice said behind them. Rinka turned around, unsurprised that the crazy Octarian scientist was hovering behind them. “Your mother was arrested for affiliation with the enemy; she was put her because we ran out of other prisons. As for what happens to you,” the scientist let out an evil grin, “we are going to run experiments on you to force you to transform.”

As she listened to his insane laughter, Rinka was unsure if he realized that transforming was the one thing she wanted in the whole world and she wasn't afraid of a little experimentation. She remained quiet to let him enjoy his moment.

Disclaimers:
- I have not played the single player mission, so there might be some obvious flaws to the characterizations and history of the inklings.
- Sorry for the extreme lack of squid puns.
- Also, the names came from me pounding my head of the keyboard.

Last edited:

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Thats a cute little story :3 How many Chapters will your fanfiction have?

Deku

Senior Squid
NNID
Rolandd
Thats a cute little story :3 How many Chapters will your fanfiction have?
Thanks :). I'm thinking about 8 or so chapters (I've got it all planned out), uploaded every day or every other day. Though the game coming out might hinder those plans . . .

ChaosDichter

Inkling
NNID
Here's my poor attempt at a story
(if that is a poor atempt i wonder how a good attempt looks like because this is already far better then most splatoon fanfics ive read)
also the title+1 chapter gave me some weird ideas like what if she transforms into a giant squid instead (that fights kinda like a tank)
it would be kinda sad if she transforms into an octopus

(sorry if my english is bad im from germany and kinda suck at writing in english)

Last edited:

Deku

Senior Squid
NNID
Rolandd
Galt, the Octarian scientist, stood over Rinka with a creepy smile and and an inch long needle. She was shivering on a cold metallic table, because Galt said it added to his mad scientist persona. Rinka wasn't afraid of the experiments, but she also wasn't eager to be injected with strange chemicals from a creepy guy. Rinka was starting to second guess her decision to go along with these.

“I'm sure I got it this time,” Galt said.

“You better,” Rinka said, eyeing the needle. “The last one made me numb for hours.” This next shot would be the fourth try. For the last two days, Galt would inject her with a formula, then run some tests to see what went wrong.

“You're a prisoner,” Galt said. “I don't care about your complaints.”

With a quick jab, Galt stuck her with the needle. Rinka suddenly felt lightheaded. Her entire body felt unstable. She could feel her tentacles changing, becoming more firm. Hands! She had hands! Feet! And, and, a body and head. She stood up on the table, feeling awkward in her new body. She was finally a kid; she had almost lost all hope. It only took getting captured by her sworn enemy to make it happen.

“Mwahahaha, fear my evil genius,” Galt said.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you,” Rinka said as she danced around. “You don't know what this means to me.” She grabbed Galt by the tentacles and swung him around in a circle.”

“Put me down!” Galt said. “I'm an evil scientist. You're not supposed to be happy.”

“Yes, yes,” Rinka said, putting him down. “Mr. Evil Scientist. You're the worst.”

“Just to make sure the experiment is a success, I need you to change back to a squid,” Galt said.

“But . . .” Rinka started. She was afraid she wouldn't be able to change back a kid. But, she needed to to be both to truly be complete. “Okay, I'll give it a try.” She closed her eyes and imagined herself a squid; nothing happened. “I'm a squid, I'm a squid, I'm a squid . . .” Rinka chanted. Suddenly, she transformed back to a squid.

“Excellent,” Galt said, writing down notes. “Now change back.”

Rinka nodded. Just like before, she couldn't just imagine herself a kid. “I'm a kid, I'm a kid, I'm a kid . . .” she chanted. She changed back to a kid. It took a lot of concentration.

Galt nodded. “It seems like it was a success. Now, change back and forth as fast as you can.”

“I'm a squid, I'm a kid, I'm a squid, I'm a kid . . .” Rinka said over and over, transforming back a forth. After five minutes, Rinka was laying on the ground completely drained, both mentally and physically. The other squids seemed to do is so easily.

“Do I have to keep on saying 'I'm a kid, I'm a squid'?” Rinka asked. “It's getting really annoying.”

“You get exactly what you want, and you're already starting to complain,” Galt chided. “You inklings always take things for granted. But, to answer your question, it gets easier over time. Octolings to transform naturally, so it takes intense training to master. You should ask your mother for tips.”

Suddenly, Galt pulled out an ink gun. A shiver of fear ran through Rinka as she involuntarily took a step back. “Wh-what are you doing with that?” she asked.

Galt gave an evil smile. “The next experiment.” Surprisingly, he held out the gun for Rinka to take.

Rinka gingerly took the gun; it naturally filled up with her ink. “You just gave your prisoner a weapon.” Rinka said, pointing the gun at Galt. “What's stopping me from shooting you?”

Galt had no reaction as he observed and took notes. “Please. You wouldn't shoot me here,” he said. “I would only respawn a few moments later, and the guards would catch you within minutes because of your lack of training. They would put you under tighter guard, placing yourself in a difficult spot to escape.”

Rinka lowered the gun. He was right. She needed to calm down; holding a gun for the first time jolted her senses and made her feel more alive.

“How interesting,” Galt said. “Simply holding an ink gun fills you with adrenaline. Let's run some tests, shall we?”

“Go, go, go, go,” Avery yelled at Rinka as she casually shot at her. “Your enemy won't give you mercy for being in their ink.” Avery always make sure to only shot enough to damage her, but not actually send her to the spawn-point, because that would giver for a short break. Rinka's whole body ached, as she had been wallowing through knee-deep, mud-like ink for the last six hours.

Galt had run a few tests to see how fast she could go, high she could jump, and how much ink she consumed to see if there were any differences to other inklings or octolings. Other than the fact it took a lot of concentration to transform, she had the build of a regular inkling.

Over the next three days, her mother came to train her. Apparently, Avery was high in the ranks of the Octarians, so they couldn't keep her in prison for long. She said she wanted to make sure her daughter wasn't a weakling now that Rinka could finally transform.

“But,” Rinka complained, “you have a better gun than I do.” She said while comparing her Splattershot Jr. to Avery's Splattershot Pro.

“Fine,” Avery said. “Let's switch to see how well you do.”

“Really? Awesome.” Rinka couldn't hold back a smile. It was her first time with anything other than the Jr. The Pro felt large in her hands, but she felt invincible with it.

“Ready? Start!” Avery yelled once they were far enough away.

Before Rinka had transformed, she had seen plenty of matches and formed strategies for different weapons. The Pro was good with long distance shots, so she made sure to keep her distance. She fired and aimed at Avery, but her aim was completely off. She readjusted her aim, but before she could shot, Avery had already closed the distance. Without mercy, Avery completely demolished Rinka, sending her back to the spawn-point.

Rinka groaned as she revived. Re-spawning was not the most pleasant experience. When she reoriented herself, Avery was standing right next to her, pointing the Jr. at her. She could hear the Octarians who were spectating giggle at her complete lack of skill.

“Remember,” Avery said, “the gun is not the most important key to victory. Your skill is. Practice with easier weapons to build the fundamentals, and you'll naturally gravitate to your most preferred weapon.” Avery lowered her gun; did she smile behind that mask? “You're getting better. Keep it up. Let's call it a day.”

They switched guns, and headed back to the prison. As they left the practice arena, two Octarian guards followed them as always. Rinka recognized their voices as the ones who kidnapped her.

“I've been meaning to ask,” Rinka said, “why am I allowed to train? Seems kind of counter-productive to teach the enemy how to fight.”

“As much as you try to deny it,” Avery said, “you are part Octarian. You'll never truly be our enemy. But, to answer your question, Galt wants to know the full capabilities of a hybrid. I think he might want to replicate more like you.”

Rinka stopped in her tracks. “Replicate? That would mean . . .” The Octarians would be kidnapping more Inklings! She had to warn the Inklings somehow.

“Woops, I may have said too much,” Avery said, letting out a sigh. Without warning, Avery shot the two Octarian guards. “They report everything we say. They'll put you in lock-down mode, unless you escape right now.”

Rinka stood there stunned. “What? Why?”

“Does a mother need a reason to save her own daughter? There's a tea kettle just a little ways away that's lightly guarded. I know you'll make it back. I trained you well. Now, go!”

Her body moved automatically, her brain still trying to comprehend everything that was happening. She turned one last time. “Thank you . . . mom.”

Avery stood on top of a ledge, watching her daughter leave back to Inktopolis. A figure approached her from behind.

“Did she take the bait?” he said.

Avery nodded. “She didn't suspect a thing. She'll tell the Inkling leader that we are planning on kidnapping them. They'll send agents to stop us; I trust our preparations are in place?”

“Indeed they are,” the man said. “We'll be able to capture those Inklings easily. Soon, we'll be able to have an army of Hybrids to fully take over those dirty squids. If I may ask, why did you agree to help us? You Octolings always work independent of the rest of us.”

“I never thought I'd have the feelings of a mother,” Avery said. “Rinka will never truly fit in with the Inklings; she doesn't belong with us either. I thought maybe if there were more like her, she would have a place where she'd belong.”

“Don't get sentimental on me now. We have work to do.”

Sorry for the long delay. Splatoon distracted me. Anyway, this was longer than it allowed me to put in the first post, so I need to put it down here. When I finish the whole thing, I'll host all in one place. Enjoy.

Thanks for everyone who's said they've liked it.

ChaosDichter

Inkling
NNID
this chapter is very good i have some critik points but they are not really worth mentioning^^

Rustic

Inkling Commander
Is this story going to be continued at any point or did you forget about it? Not trying to be rude or anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom