• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Farewell, Splatnet!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Around the same time Miiverse's closure was announced, Nintendo also revealed via the SplatoonUS Tumblr that Splatnet will be closing. Here's the original post, with text:

https://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/164769613159/notice-the-splatnet-service-for-the-splatoon

"[Notice] The SplatNet service for the Splatoon game on the Wii U system will be permanently closed on September 30th, 2017. Online multiplayer battles will still be available, as this update only affects the SplatNet service. We sincerely thank all players for using this companion site for the original Splatoon game."

This is a shame. For the people still playing the first game, they just lost quite a bit of utility.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Well, that was sort of the be expected. Instead of killing it off at once they're making it a slow and painful procedure while reminding us old veterans of what's going to happen soon enough.... ;_;

Farewell Splatnet, you will be missed dearly.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Wow~...

At a rate I won't be surprised if they just wrap up all WiiU online services and support by mid 2018.

Wonder what sort of homehrew/fan support the console will see next year and beyond. But until then, guess I'm gonna be visiting Splat 1 a lot more often for the next couple months.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
Man, they really are coming down hard on the Wii U now, won't be long before we lose all the online services for good.

I really wish the Wii U had done better, I much preferred it over the other competitor's consoles.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
It's a shame; I had a lot more fun with Splatoon than I am with Splatoon 2. All good things come to an end, and in some cases, prematurely. :(

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
This is pretty sad, since I used Splatnet so much when I played Splatoon 1. I liked the service and features it offered, and I like that it was a website instead of just being a phone app. It would be nice if we got Splatnet 2 on desktops in exchange for this. There is no reason it can't be on both platforms.

Before it goes away I'll be sure to screen shot my stats and what not. I'll likely never touch Splatoon 1 again, but I put too much time into the game and attention to let my records and data just disappear.

At a rate I won't be surprised if they just wrap up all WiiU online services and support by mid 2018.
I think that's very likely. After the big holiday rush of new Switch owners having moved onto Splatoon 2, MK8D, and more, I think the Wii U playerbase will be small enough by then that it won't be worth the costs to keep those servers running. Smash 4 however is definitely a big issue though. If we don't get word on a Switch Port or a brand new Smash game in the next year or so, Smash fans will be furious if they lost online like that.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Very sad this is happening to the Wii U. A console with so much potential ruined by shoddy marketing.

Mikaya

Certified Nerd
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-8448-2209
It was bound to happen sooner or later. I personally really liked this service - Checking up on leaderboards for the modes, general stats and updates on online friends was pretty neat. Splatnet 2 is already available via the Nintendo Switch App (Never actually used it yet though). Glad Nintendo decided to create a replacement to keep squids happy! ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom