• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Fastest Way to Obtain Gear

Vossied

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-8277-5425-4117
I'm an aspiring Splatoon competitive god, but I can't help but notice it takes forever to get gear that doesn't suck miserably. Is there a faster way to get that solid four of the same ability gear? I need it to get good and at the moment it seems like it's going to take an eternity for 60x3 ability chunks.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
If you want a quick fix that doesn't look pretty, play a bit of salmon run (gives the most chunks for the 2nd super bonus) and spread the chunks over three pieces of gear you'd wear as a set, like this:

|

|

|

While it isn't as flexible as having pures, it only takes you 30 chunks per sub-abilitiy instead of 60.

Other than that, if you still want to go for pure-pures, playing a lot of Salmon Run in Profresh rank is your best bet. Not only do you earn a hecc ton of chunks off the capsules and gear you get, you also get drink tickets which help you get more of the desired ability chunks if you decide to grind 3-slot 1-star gear of the favored brand in turf.

Good luck.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Yeah that is the best way to farm chunks and such, but as for playing at a higher level, pures aren't gonna fix that. Partly because the gear meta consists of using a few subs of stuff like special saver, quick super jump, bomb defense, and such. Most competitive players run 1-2 subs of qsj and 1-2 subs of special saver, and other abilities depend on the role they play. That aside, pures aren't really optimal because often some of the subs become near worthless when you already have a main and a few subs of them, and they'd be better used on other abilities.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
I'm an aspiring Splatoon competitive god, but I can't help but notice it takes forever to get gear that doesn't suck miserably. Is there a faster way to get that solid four of the same ability gear? I need it to get good and at the moment it seems like it's going to take an eternity for 60x3 ability chunks.
As previously mentioned, Pures aren't even that helpful outside of pubs - as competitive gear tend to mix up the sub slots to get the most use out of the most abillities and pures can't do that (obviously).

If you're still dead set on getting pures, I would personally suggest saving a couple of your drink tickets and using them on the gear you want to make pure. If you can get a sub or two of your desired ability beforehand, that can really help trim the amount of chunks you need to use to purify your gear.

michaelladd

Inkling
NNID
Jazzie1234
Switch Friend Code
SW-0064-9360-0834
Honestly, salmon run is the best way to get chunks. And money if you are looking to buy gear and scrub.

saint_kthulhu

Full Squid
Yeah that is the best way to farm chunks and such, but as for playing at a higher level, pures aren't gonna fix that. Partly because the gear meta consists of using a few subs of stuff like special saver, quick super jump, bomb defense, and such. Most competitive players run 1-2 subs of qsj and 1-2 subs of special saver, and other abilities depend on the role they play. That aside, pures aren't really optimal because often some of the subs become near worthless when you already have a main and a few subs of them, and they'd be better used on other abilities.
Only pure I commonly see higher level players use is quick respawn.

And even that isn’t used by everyone.

superlativeb

Inkster Jr.
not sure if anyone mentioned it above but to keep the amount needed down , I use a ticket for what i'm looking for and try to roll doubles and then add the last slot. and never re-roll just save snails for adding slots so you have lot to work with.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
not sure if anyone mentioned it above but to keep the amount needed down , I use a ticket for what i'm looking for and try to roll doubles and then add the last slot. and never re-roll just save snails for adding slots so you have lot to work with.
If you don’t mind spending some snails though, you can get useful 3* gear extremely fast. Fill the three empty slots with abilities you don’t want, using 10 chunks each, then use a snail or two to reroll for the brand preferred ability.

I do this occasionally because I do every splatfest and have more snails than gear slots I want to add.

—-

As for my own advice here, play Salmon Run whenever you can; there’s nothing but benefits from playing it. The gear you discard gives you chunks and money, the super bonuses can be chunks/money/tickets (all of which help you towards your goal), the gameplay itself lets you train with weapons you’re unfamiliar with in a significantly lower risk environment, and it’s less stressful than PVP because everyone is just a derpy gamer like you and you get to goof around.

You do NOT need pures to be good, people just like them because it looks cool and it was hard to get in S1 without savescumming or hacking. I like having pures for run speed and swim speed because there are quite a few gear builds of mine that require 2 mains of those, and it makes my gear more modular.

Whatever you plan on putting on your gear, this is the method I use:

- Pop a drink ticket and wear whatever you want to upgrade with that perk; you should try to have 3 empty sub slots.
- Play a Ranked game. Each win at my level will give enough exp to add in the first sub slot for * and ** gear.
- If the first sub isn’t what I want, I wipe it immediately. If it is, I keep it and continue playing until all 3 subs are in place. If one is good and 2 are bad, wipe it and start again. if 2 are good, I usually keep it. When you wipe off the first slot every time it’s not what you’re looking for, you’ll be starting your gear building process from a guaranteed 1 sub and vastly improve your odds of getting what you want.

Frequently you’ll wind up with 2 good subs and 1 bad one. In this situation, you can either leave it as it is, fill in the last slot for 30 chunks, or add in some other ability for 10 chunks that may benefit you (1 sub of bomb Defense enables you to survive 2 near-miss Inkjet shots or Tenta Missiles; 1-2 subs of quick super jump is useful in a lot of situations; 1 sub of special saver provides good returns, etc.).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom