• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Finally Made It!

Grflrgl

Inkster Jr.
Well, after a year and a half, I finally got promoted to S class last night!

I hereby retire from ranked battles!

And I gotta say, I've complained about my teammates as much as anyone, but last night I was on some really great teams. I was up against some great teams as well, but managed to win all but two games last night.

Retirement is good...

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Are you moving to the sequel, or just setting your sights low? :P

Wasabi

Inkling
I reached S just recently too and decided to also retire, mainly because I'm waiting for splatoon 2 to start rank back up.
I hardly play ranked because it causes intense feelings of rage inside of me. xD So it took me quite a while to rank up each time because I took long breaks in between.

Not to say it isn't fun, because ranked is super duper fun, but the fear of losing ranks for some reason keeps me from playing. I even made another profile so I could play ranked sometimes without caring about my rank level, lol. Will probably do something similar on the Splatoon 2.

squiddoodly

Full Squid
Hmm, is that what people do when they reach S rank? They retire? I'd personally continue playing if I was even an S+. I also wouldn't retire after reaching that rank just to move on to Splatoon 2 because I still want to play Splatoon even after I get the game.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Hmm, is that what people do when they reach S rank? They retire? I'd personally continue playing if I was even an S+. I also wouldn't retire after reaching that rank just to move on to Splatoon 2 because I still want to play Splatoon even after I get the game.
Some people, like Wasabi, do that because they're deathly afraid of ranking down. I think they're silly. If you get to a rank and then don't play enough to maintain that rank, are you really in that rank? Getting to S and then staying there after weeks of matches is an accomplishment. Getting there and then never touching ranked again... isn't.

squiddoodly

Full Squid
I see, I agree on what you said. It's surely an accomplishment to reach S rank, but to stop playing because you reached such a feat is like getting a highscore in a game then to stop playing because you got the reward. It's quite odd...

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
Some people, like Wasabi, do that because they're deathly afraid of ranking down. I think they're silly. If you get to a rank and then don't play enough to maintain that rank, are you really in that rank? Getting to S and then staying there after weeks of matches is an accomplishment. Getting there and then never touching ranked again... isn't.
But if you're afraid of ranking down, did you ever truly reach that skill level? The only reason I don't say I'm an S+ player (even tho I've reached it more than once) is because I was never able to consistently hold onto the rank. I'm content with saying I'm not an S+ because I feel like I've never reached that level of play. If I had stopped playing when I reached S, I wouldn't feel accomplished or proud of it. Then again, this entire conversation is subjective.

On the other side of things, I can understand their point of view. With the new game right around the corner (ONE MONTH AHHHHHHHHHH I CAN ALMOST PLAY AGAIN) I can understand why they would want to just hit something and stop. They can reach a goal and be content because in the end, their rank won't matter much in the new game. Sure, they might lose a bit of their finesse, but they'll just grind games for a day and gain it back. Both sides have their merit, and neither should be criticized too harshly.

dylan_not_bob

Stardust Crusquider
I felt like this for a long time too, but have recently started to play more ranked again. My thought is that the sequel is coming out, so even if I lost my S (again), it won't matter in a couple weeks. On the flip side, however, I'm hoping it's good training for me; hopefully I'll go into 2 all warmed up. :)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
But if you're afraid of ranking down, did you ever truly reach that skill level? The only reason I don't say I'm an S+ player (even tho I've reached it more than once) is because I was never able to consistently hold onto the rank. I'm content with saying I'm not an S+ because I feel like I've never reached that level of play. If I had stopped playing when I reached S, I wouldn't feel accomplished or proud of it. Then again, this entire conversation is subjective.

On the other side of things, I can understand their point of view. With the new game right around the corner (ONE MONTH AHHHHHHHHHH I CAN ALMOST PLAY AGAIN) I can understand why they would want to just hit something and stop. They can reach a goal and be content because in the end, their rank won't matter much in the new game. Sure, they might lose a bit of their finesse, but they'll just grind games for a day and gain it back. Both sides have their merit, and neither should be criticized too harshly.
I can understand it NOW, sure, but this was happening a year and a half ago too, and people will probably do the same on the sequel. Eh! You're right about merit regardless.

Grflrgl

Inkster Jr.
I see, I agree on what you said. It's surely an accomplishment to reach S rank, but to stop playing because you reached such a feat is like getting a highscore in a game then to stop playing because you got the reward. It's quite odd...
Or maybe my priorities are different than yours.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
If you just want to get to S+ and quit, you missed the point of the ranking system. While I'd argue the Splatoon ranking system isn't designed very well compared to other games in the genre, they are generally made to keep you playing with people your skill level. You go up when you improve, and if you can stay up at that skill then you've made it. Just getting there once doesn't count.

Also think this would have gone better in social, I don't understand what we're supposed to discuss here..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom