• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Finding out you do great with weapons you'd never expect

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
For instance- I tried out the gal today (forgot the 'year thing, but it was the one with inkstrike) and found out that I was actually incredibly good with the weapon along with the fact it killed rather fast, giving me an advantage in a lot of standpoints.

Has anyone else found a weapon, tried it out, and found out you were actually rather good with it?

ree-ris

Full Squid
For instance- I tried out the gal today (forgot the 'year thing, but it was the one with inkstrike) and found out that I was actually incredibly good with the weapon along with the fact it killed rather fast, giving me an advantage in a lot of standpoints.

Has anyone else found a weapon, tried it out, and found out you were actually rather good with it?
I had the same experience with the gal (inkstrike one too).
But most recently it was the inkbrush for me. I tried the octobrush out when i began and sucked at it. Tried the inkbrush some weeks ago and it went great. Now it's definetely one of my mains! (though gal still wins :P )

iceage99

Midna Advocate
NNID
iceage99
Switch Friend Code
SW-5433-4841-6709
My experience was with the heavy splatling. I thought it wouldn't work for me that well since it takes a while to charge but somehow I did great? Still haven't gotten the hang of the Hydra splatling though.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
That's how I became a Squelcher nut. Don't be afraid to experiment!

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
Well I kinda like to play a bit of everything so... I was surprised when I did better with the H-3 than shorter shooters (even if I still see it as a bad weapon) and the L-3 with wail, which is very rare in S+ and made me go above S+80 without really trying.

About the .52, you know... It just kills insanely fast, so I believe it's not that surprising to feel powerful with it. Somehow there was a time when I thought it was a 3HKO and wasn't using it at all, and then one day "oh let's try this one again" and... Oh my god. People are so frail, so fragile... Poor things. Remind me of a video from the DUDE where he goes 38-8 with the wall version saying "I think it's broken, look how fast it kills!"

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pretty much every weapon, with varying time tables. The H3s took so much sweat and tears.

But if we mean almost immediate pick-up?
Gold dynamo roller and, surprisingly, the new squiffer. (though I had previous experience and tutelage with ink mines on the aerospray RG)

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Probably the Slosher, the big ol' bucket of broken dreams.

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
I used to never use the Jet Squelchers. After the 2.7.0 update increasing their run speed, I decided to give the Custom Jet Squelcher a try and actually went on to max out the amount of turf inked with it. I never thought I'd be good with one of these. This is exactly why I will now use random weapons in battle. It's fun and I sometimes really surprise myself with what I can do.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I used to never use the Jet Squelchers. After the 2.7.0 update increasing their run speed, I decided to give the Custom Jet Squelcher a try and actually went on to max out the amount of turf inked with it. I never thought I'd be good with one of these. This is exactly why I will now use random weapons in battle. It's fun and I sometimes really surprise myself with what I can do.
Solidarity, squelcher brother!

Maave

Inkling Commander
Zinc Mini Splatling. I feel like Animal Mother with the M60

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I turn out surprisingly aggressive (and effective) with the Octobrush, even though I prefer the speed and turfing power of the basic Inkbrush.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
I always managed to get way better results with the Heavy Splatling than I ever really expected to whenever I used it.

Mystrite

Full Squid
NNID
toffee_too_too
Yeah, I picked up the CRB recently , and got a great deal out it . I tend to stick to longer range weapons and I've always despised blasters so that was a great surprise to me , I was getting 7-8 straight away. And the dynamo roller ,the thing got me to S rank , but I've never used it previously.

Squididly

Full Squid
NNID
Squididly
E-liter Scope.
I tried a scope once and hated it. I couldn't hit anything, I was constantly being ambushed, it was terrible. But then I took a step back and practiced with snipers in general, had lots of practice, and now I love my Scopey.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I still don't think that I could use the E-liter if I wanted to, haha....

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I recently gave CJS another go (only previously using it months ago) when rotation was Kelp and Triggerfish TC. The range of the weapon felt less awkward than I thought (I was put off using it because certain maps make the range a curse rather than a blessing) and I was playing fairly well with it. I must have got used to the sort of range it offers when I played Kelp/Bento and E-Litre (and got somewhat competent at E-Litre) and now it feels natural. It's a very fun weapon and it is so delicious to challenge Splatterscopes and E-Litres with ease (I even got a few splats on Hydras with Bubble charged), the best part is most people don't know how to approach someone with that much range and if they do get too close bursts are there for easier/faster splats and Kraken is a nice last ditch panic button to save yourself. This is what I've been running on it:

:ability_comeback:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_damage:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

I would love to put more ink recovery on it because there are occasions where I throw bursts a bit too frequently and ran out of ink, but this build has worked pretty well thus far. Comeback is nice for temporary movement and efficiency buffs (as well as getting Kraken back that bit more quickly) and the damage is for bursts (it makes the main deal 33.3 which is nice too), I may ditch 3 subs of swim for more recovery, just need to figure out what to swap to keep the build looking fresh. Custom Jet is a very nice weapon and more people should be looking at it, it is fantastic at support splats and can also use the extreme range for splats that could be considered a flank splat from weapons like Sploosh, so it has a very nice position in where it sits.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I am S+ on my main and one alt, but my 2nd alt is A+, and I goof around with other weapons there.

Among my most crippling weakpoints in weapon classes, chargers have always been near the top.
I think its mostly agreed that in the Splatterscope family, Kelp has the best competitive kit. I remember reactions to the Bento being mixed when it was first announced, but I never really heard about anyone's experiences trying it out. Charger mains were pretty comfortable and E3K Custom and Kelp were pretty well established as the top range chargers in the meta.

Anyway, on my A+ account, the other day I picked up Bento and went like 12/2 or something in a match on Mahi Mahi Resort Rain Maker. Its key that I mention the rank in which I played, because A+ is really nowhere near the top (I'm sure I'd have been eaten alive in S or S+), but I figured my sniping was equivalent to that of a B player, at best.

I defend the Bento Splatterscope as being a very accessible charger for people who suck at chargers. The Splash Wall, man, even when I'm not sitting at a post, I can get splats if I put it up, back off a little and lay waste to an assailing shooter. The safety behind the wall can help me relax and aim better. And it might have a psychological effect, too, since I don't put up the wall before EVERY shot, obviously, but just knowing that I have the protection if I need it seems to make me perform better. And that's not all! Like the vanilla E3K, echolocator is a sniper's blessing. I have a protective wall, and I can see the locations of my enemies. Seasoned snipers will probably still defend other weapons as better for competitive play, and I respect that. But I main Splattershot Jr. Defense and protection are my playstyle. So I think Bento has the tools I need to be a comfortable and confident sniper. I don't think there's been a charger I have been more enthusiastic about studying more.

What are your thoughts on Bento Splatterscope? Do you have negative or positive experiences with it? Am I a total wussy for hiding behind the splash wall?????? stay 'tooned!

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
What are your thoughts on Bento Splatterscope? Do you have negative or positive experiences with it? Am I a total wussy for hiding behind the splash wall?????? stay 'tooned!
As a charger main, I LOVE the Bento. At first, I thought the wall would be the worst thing ever, huge ink consumption, doesn't help out in CQC too much, and it's kinda slow to deploy at times. Plus, since I have range I don't have to use the wall too much.

Boy was I wrong. The Wall is extremely useful for the following:
Playing "Peek-a-boo" with other chargers. Essentially with a wall, your opponent in a 1v1 situation must either: shoot at the wall and waste a valuable shot, wait until the wall plays out, or reposition to a new angle. With your wall, you don't have to right side peek, which is huge by the way, you can take much more rewarding shots, without the risk involved.

It proves as a decent escape plan, throwing a wall to protect yourself from a pursuer is pretty useful. And if you are familiar with showering, you can turn the gun fight into your favor by charging a partial shot and hitting, if you want to risk that, if not, that buys you some time to superjump away.

Also, you could be a gent and give your wall away to a teammate who might want it, like a hydra splatling user, or maybe a berry pro.

Not to mention, with Echo, you get a pseudo-instant refill on your ink, ignoring the wall's consumption and time to refill. And as we've seen with the Vanilla E-liter, Echo is a force to be reckoned with if you're a charger user.

Just my thoughts on the Bento, as an S+ charger main, who enjoys using the weapon from time to time. :)

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Also, a weapon that I thought I would never do well with, but did anyway....

The dynamo, but let's be honest. That weapon is pretty easy to pick up, and I picked it up right after it got nerfed in 2.2.0. And I was smashing noobs with this thing, I was getting easily 10+ kills a game in ranked. And the only thing I would play in the background as I was drowning scrubs in ink was the JON CENA THEME SONG. It just was fun being a heavyweight champ and launching massive waves of ink at people. The best part was, I didn't even know it was hated by the community. lol

Also, I've been pretty successful with the carbon roller lately, but nothing too noteworthy. It just surprised me as a Charger user being able to get a lot closer to the enemies than I usually am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom