• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Forming a Squad should be a special

RainbowOni

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6643-4364-0032
The way I see it, when you go about forming a squad, It shouldn't be JUST LIKE THAT in a instant. It should take time and development between you and that person. Yes you should actually take the energy to form a bond with that person and see how you are with them. Than create a squad with a meaning, and not some edgy name. You shouldn't join a highly populated Squad that only keeps looking for people to add in it's group. It's more about that. And perhaps even more than just winning. Don't form a large Squad either unless you're able to make every member feel like they collaborated towards a winning. Remember there's only four slots available. Be picky about it, but don't be fast to diss people either.

Takes time man, it's not just instant.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
That's why my squad (Booyah Brigade) is made up of me and my 4 best friends lol

Does that count?

Robochao

Full Squid
NNID
Robochao
I completely agree - and to add:

This is a great mindset for forming a long-term squad. Many squads can be made to meet new people in the context of competition. These temporary teams are still worthwhile! I've been a part of two teams in my two years of playing, and one took me to a fantastic Discord and the other really pressed in my feet to the comp scene. Both have disbanded, but no ragrets.

Of course, there's also top tier squads where people are great by skill/mindset, but don't exactly get along. That can happen.

So check your priorities (fun? competition? social?) before you jump into a commitment!

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I completely agree - and to add:

This is a great mindset for forming a long-term squad. Many squads can be made to meet new people in the context of competition. These temporary teams are still worthwhile! I've been a part of two teams in my two years of playing, and one took me to a fantastic Discord and the other really pressed in my feet to the comp scene. Both have disbanded, but no ragrets.

Of course, there's also top tier squads where people are great by skill/mindset, but don't exactly get along. That can happen.

So check your priorities (fun? competition? social?) before you jump into a commitment!
I'm a huge NBA fan, and one thing has stuck with me. Many different players have said there are four types of teams:

1. The players aren't close/hate each other, but they play well together.
2. The players aren't close/hate each other, and they don't play well together.
3. The players are close/love each other, but they don't play well together.
4. The players are close/love each other, and they play well together.

To some, this may be obvious, but the point is that you don't need to love each other to have a championship caliber team. Everyone but a crazy person would pick the fourth option as the best scenario and the second option as the worst option, but where you rank the first and third options depends on who you are. Some people value winning above all else. Some people value buds. The important thing is that everyone on a team should have the same primary values.

For me, I care most about the bottom line of winning, but that doesn't make that value better than other values -- such as camaraderie and fun (as in fun divorced from the concept of winning). It takes all kinds of fruit to make a fruit cup, so there's no uniform way to form a team. What works for some may not work for others, and that's okay. More than okay, that's a really good thing. Humans aren't homogeneous personalities, and that kind of diversity should be celebrated.

inkcan

Semi-Pro Squid
I understand and appreciate what you guys are getting at, and I want to state ahead of time that I do, in fact, agree with all of the sentiment stated above;

A team, no matter the number, that has bonded, where all members feel appreciated and useful, despite win/loss count and ranking is a team anyone can stand with and love.

Having acknowledged that, can you imagine a team that has really bonded and totally loves and appreciates each of its members individually, but loses all the time? That is a team killer. I've been there, Squiddos. Loved those oboyos to death, but people started to flake after we'd get our tentacles torn off from every scrim I set up.

Some folks don't take to competitive too well, but still want a squad that can win most of its battles.

Also, anyone looking for squadmates / buddies for casual competitive play? bahaha, I wanna be good at this game like I was in the first one, but I need to hang with good players to challenge me to get better. That's the kinda squad I feel shines the most; huggyfamilylovebond, but also rivalpowerstrugglepowerup.

Ngyes

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Alternatively, just find a group/server/forum/whatever of dorks you like hanging around with that you can grab people from for teams. Quite the casual option, but it works for me. Just my two cents, I like the points made here.

inkcan

Semi-Pro Squid
Alternatively, just find a group/server/forum/whatever of dorks you like hanging around with that you can grab people from for teams.
Heck yeah, those are the best. You can have a channel for competitive, A and B teams, etc, for coordination. This is my favorite method and the one I stuck with longest.

I never like being a part of, like, 3 at a time though. Do you keep a lot of groups active at once?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom