• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Friendly reminder that there's a MLG Ladder for Splatoon

Dylan1Kenobi

Inkling
NNID
Dylan1Kenobi
Except nobody uses it!

This board is proof that competitive Splatoon play is definitely a possibility and should be brought into the eSports world, yet no one is going to the top dogs of eSports, MLG, and using their system. This just confuses me.

I used to use gamebattles during the MLG days of Halo 3 and Reach and it was pretty effective and fun and I think it would be great if more people used it, but right now me and my team are pretty much the only ones on it so there's nobody to play against.

So hey, hop on gamebattles, get your team on it, and shoot us a challenge. We don't even care if you wipe the floor with us, we just want to stimulate use of this system so that we can attract MLG's attention and get Splatoon the eSports attention it deserves.

Dylan1Kenobi

Inkling
NNID
Dylan1Kenobi
I'm definitely a fan of it and really see it as a way to get Splatoon into the eSports world. It's an established system that'll help us get organized :)

Momo

Inkling
NNID
cyan-greene
This is interesting! How would the community go about running the seasons (deciding match dates etc.) and such do you think? Or does the site self run these things?

Dylan1Kenobi

Inkling
NNID
Dylan1Kenobi
Individual matches can be scheduled by the teams themselves! A team can play as many or as few games as they want, whenever they want, by using the match finder or by challenging specific teams in the ladder. At the end of the season the leaderboard resets and everyone can rank up again, but records are kept of all the previous seasons and the all time best teams. Some ladders have playoffs at the end of each season! Though with how inactive the Splatoon ladders have been, they don't have that yet.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
The rules look to be copy/pasted from a general shooter ruleset. In fact, this seems like a complete afterthought by mlg

Dylan1Kenobi

Inkling
NNID
Dylan1Kenobi
The rules look to be copy/pasted from a general shooter ruleset. In fact, this seems like a complete afterthought by mlg
Yeah, I'm doing my best to get that changed. Trying to get in contact with people in MLG. My thought is that they didn't put too much effort into it cause it was just some kiddy shooter from Nintendo. I've already contacted a couple people and am looking into getting the ruleset stated.

I really think this system could work if people just tried it. We just need a few teams to give it a shot.

Last edited:

Dylan1Kenobi

Inkling
NNID
Dylan1Kenobi
To be honest I didn't even know this existed. I'll sign up tomorrow, this game needs more exposure badly.
Hey we played against you guys in BB4 last Saturday! I'm on team Slimy Little Hipsters. You guys won, but it was a pretty even matchup! It'd be awesome if you guys signed up and we could challenge you!

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
Except nobody uses it!

This board is proof that competitive Splatoon play is definitely a possibility and should be brought into the eSports world, yet no one is going to the top dogs of eSports, MLG, and using their system. This just confuses me.
the game came out like 6 (going on 7) months ago. things take time to develop as far as esports is concerned.

Tbh, we don't have a major reliable way to propertly stream/showcase these tournaments. When I mean by this, I mean by the quality of these tournaments. ALL tournaments I've seen (except probably Hearthstone), the tournaments were done locally. Currently, we're doing tournaments online and even that's got flaws here and there.

MLG probably heard of other people doing tournaments and are just jumping the bandwagon (not that it's a bad thing)

Thankfully, Nintendo is going to explain how to do tournaments propertly come Dec. 2nd. I'm also attempting to do a splatoon project locally, but it's gonna take some time.

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
MLG picked up Rocket League recently, and those tournaments are done online. The game also came out around the same time as Splatoon. AFAIK (I don't play it) the competitive scene is quite healthy and fairly mature already, tournaments run relatively smoothly. The reason they can do this while we can't is that the Rocket League devs actually improve the game to cater to the needs of that community (e.g. improvements to spectator mode - which we don't even have).

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
I knew these were here, and when I brought it up someone said something about mlg being trash. I think it would be cool to try it out. I don't see how this would bring any attention to the splatoon community, however, since mlg only promotes games that will earn them money and will maintain a good image for them. I do not think they would be quick to promote a "kiddy game" like this.

Dylan1Kenobi

Inkling
NNID
Dylan1Kenobi
I knew these were here, and when I brought it up someone said something about mlg being trash. I think it would be cool to try it out. I don't see how this would bring any attention to the splatoon community, however, since mlg only promotes games that will earn them money and will maintain a good image for them. I do not think they would be quick to promote a "kiddy game" like this.
Yeah I get you about the promotion thing.

But I see all these attempts at making leagues that use forum posts and everyone doing tons of work when there's already an automated system in place that we could just sign up and use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom