• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Future DLC

Krak Rex

Inkster Jr.
Obviously we want free DLC like the first game. But after year one, would you pay for DLC to keep the game fresh for longer....see what I did there...sorry.

So what are your thoughts?

the

Inkling Commander
I would like if it was like, story mode DLC that added levels or something. But idk, paying for exclusive online weaps just feels wrong to me. That said I would definitely buy it anyway if they did go that route, RIP

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I would be willing to pay like 5 bucks for an alternate Story mode with the roles of Callie and Marie flipped, complete with all new dialogue and songs meant to reflect that.

Callie definitely gets the shaft in Splatoon 2's single player as of right now. She appears in the final boss fight and that's it. She does not even appear in the SP overworld after you beat the game. I like both Callie and Marie about equally, so it was sad to see Callie get so little screen time just because she lost the last splatfest.

You could also unlock more weapon variants and more sunken scrolls maybe too.

StarSol

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StarSol
Obviously we want free DLC like the first game. But after year one, would you pay for DLC to keep the game fresh for longer....see what I did there...sorry.

So what are your thoughts?
I wouldn't pay personally. Unless the dlc provided outstanding content. Zelda for 20 bucks with much added replayability was worth 20 to me. Maps alone don't warrant enough. I personally believed in not paying for dlc to begin with. The 60 dollar initial purchase was just the membership card to the 'store' to blow more money on what should have just been provided in the first place. Free dlc games will always have my attention and respect. Anyways, I don't see maps working too well with the way the rotation system works let alone the apparently concerned pool sizes. Paid dlc thins pools. A huge no from me.

°Sea Cowie°

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SailorMewn
Switch Friend Code
SW-6832-4486-4403
Hun, I paid 50$ for this game. I'm not paying for anything, unless they give Callie more screen time.
But they probably won't so...
Nah.

Aeladya

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Aeladya
Switch Friend Code
SW-4028-2792-9217
I'd pay $5 to have an Octoling character. That's about it. I don't buy DLC often. Unless it adds more story I don't tend to purchase it, that being said, if they were to allow a story where you would play as an Octoling and it was a reverse story from where it is now and you could choose to play as one online I would pay money for that, even if it was just an Octoling online.

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
I would be willing to pay like 5 bucks for an alternate Story mode with the roles of Callie and Marie flipped, complete with all new dialogue and songs meant to reflect that.

Callie definitely gets the shaft in Splatoon 2's single player as of right now. She appears in the final boss fight and that's it. She does not even appear in the SP overworld after you beat the game. I like both Callie and Marie about equally, so it was sad to see Callie get so little screen time just because she lost the last splatfest.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that the story was a major letdown.

Despite all the pre-release hype buildup, the Squid Sister subplot ended up not meaning anything in the long run.

Callie being brainwashed was just a meaningless afterthought of a "plot twist" that had no real significance at all.

Even during that battle, she was just there...just to be there, didn't do anything. Even after Marie frees her, she just vanishes completely and doesn't make herself any more useful from that point.

Splatfest or no, you can tell already that both their places in the story were last-minute decisions. ...Actually, it was because of that that they were. And I think Nintendo just made us look like even bigger idiots for it.

It was all for nothing. They were just using Callie as bait.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771

I also find it odd there's almost nothing in terms of information regarding the organ story of Marina & Pearl, and it was also a bit unfortunate they they nether of them played any sort of roll in the story mode.

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
Yeah, I was hoping that those two would be Agents 5 and 6. You'd think that Marina being an Octoling would shed some extra light on this, but no...

What's more, we don't even get any hints about Mr. Grizz's real identity or Grizzco's overall shadiness. Not even in Sunken Scrolls.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
With only a 2 year development time some things had to be rushed, so they probably went with story mode getting the short end of the stick. I wouldn't mind a more fleshed out story if the release would be delayed by another year, personally speaking. Or maybe it'll get another dlc later on, who knows.

the

Inkling Commander
I would like if it was like, story mode DLC that added levels or something. But idk, paying for exclusive online weaps just feels wrong to me. That said I would definitely buy it anyway if they did go that route, RIP
I gave this some more thought and I think I'd like paid story DLC even in the form of like, level packs or something, similar to what they did with the super mario bros game for the 3ds. It would be interesting to see how they can combine elements from the existing story mode in unique ways, or even introduce new mechanics.

I'd honestly like to see something like a "crazy-hard" group of levels. Splatoon's story mode has never been super difficult, and I sometimes wonder if it would be possible to make it extremely challenging. I'd like to see nintendo try to pull that off. Obvs that's just a pipe dream but it's interesting to think about.

°Sea Cowie°

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SailorMewn
Switch Friend Code
SW-6832-4486-4403
I'd pay $5 to have an Octoling character. That's about it. I don't buy DLC often. Unless it adds more story I don't tend to purchase it, that being said, if they were to allow a story where you would play as an Octoling and it was a reverse story from where it is now and you could choose to play as one online I would pay money for that, even if it was just an Octoling online.
Now that you say this, I think it could be something to think about.
It's a good price for JUST character customisation.
Maybe they'd add free clothing for it.
I was disappointed by the lack of Octoling Armor

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
Seriously, how late in development was Splatoon 2's story planned? There's no way it would take them this short to develop the whole game.

the

Inkling Commander
Seriously, how late in development was Splatoon 2's story planned? There's no way it would take them this short to develop the whole game.
Honestly story mode has always taken a back seat with Splatoon. And even then the focus is on gameplay and fun more than the story itself, with splat 2's final boss being an exception. (It's still fun, but definitely more story-driven than splat 1's gameplay-based final boss.) I think splat 2's story mode was great, just not what some people were expecting after the squid sisters backstory was published.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
I guess amiibos count as paid DLC, I don't have any splatoon ones though. Not sure if the power armour or ninja suit are enough incentive to buy.. anyone care to donate?

Olly0014

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3755-4752-6987
...I thought Nintendo confirmed DLC would be free and be supported for a year?

But anyway, they've already released 2 DLC weapons, the Dualie Squelchers and the Inkbrush. I think they plan to add small update rather than $20 DLC packs and slowly keep the new content flowing into the game, to avoid any droughts.

Although technically, Amiibo's are paid DLC, so yeah. Personally I don't really pay for DLC, I expect new content to come free as you've already paid $50+ to get the game in the first place

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
Honestly story mode has always taken a back seat with Splatoon. And even then the focus is on gameplay and fun more than the story itself, with splat 2's final boss being an exception. (It's still fun, but definitely more story-driven than splat 1's gameplay-based final boss.) I think splat 2's story mode was great, just not what some people were expecting after the squid sisters backstory was published.
That story just amounted to nothing in the end though. It looks like Sheldon alone was going to be the guide at first, but they threw in the Squid Sisters really late just for pandering.
(You can tell already when Callie actually does nothing during that final battle. It was meaningless flavor that hardly affected the story in any way. And even after you beat it, she's STILL missing...Or is she?)
All the hype with the Squid Sister Stories just went to waste. If single-player still isn't the main focus, then why does it look like they just made this whole sequel just for it, only to rush it in the end? The story itself still is exactly the same as the first, just with those two thrown into it very late. (They probably had Agents 5 & 6/Off the Hook planned for it at some point, but that didn't go through, it seems)

It makes it looks like Nintendo resents us for the Splatfest before and wanted to troll us for it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom