• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Generations

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Someone was handing out flyers about each generation in the US at the library today. Thought it was kinda interesting, so I'll share what it says.

The stabilizing Traditionalists grew up in the shadow of two World Wars and the biggest economic depression in U.S. history. As the stepped into adulthood, the witnessed authority (governments, the military, and society) save the world from fascism and ruin. This trust of authority and hierarchy became the core of the Traditionalists' approach to work and family. Most Traditionalists were into late adulthood before computers, or certainly the internet, were realities, which has made this group slower to adopt and trust the technical solution to problems, and change is embraced more slowly. Hierarchy works, experience matters, and patriotism and good citizenship as well as stability and security are prized by Traditionalists, who tend to be both surprised and irritated when these core societal and workplace values are not shared.

The transformational Baby Boomers who once pronounced, "Don't trust anyone over 30" were the first workaholics, not because it was fun but it was essential in light of the swelling volume of competing Baby Boomers. Being "high profile" and "standing out from the crowd" were keys to survival. They paid their dues under the old hierarchical rules, got ahead by making their bosses look good, and are now redefining themselves in light of global initiatives and business restructuring. The first generation to be graded in school for "getting along with others," Baby Boomers tend to be -through a lifetime of practice- oriented towards politics, social skills, and meetings. Now widely in positions of leadership and power, Boomers quest for and talk about work/life balance, which eludes many within this hard-charging generation

The entrepreneurial, skeptical, and often misunderstood Generation X-ers stepped into adulthood in a world of fracturing families, latch-key kids, ineffective and mistrusted government, and deep economic uncertainty. The trust and loyalty past generations gave and expected from their organization came sharply into contrast and into question with this group who witnessed long-held commitments and the idea of job security become more of a fantasy. This group responded with a focus on their own career development, the arc of which takes them to and through many different professional affiliations which draw upon their technological acuity and business savvy. Resourceful and independent, X-ers want to get in, get the work done, and move on to the next thing. Among core values are freedom and variety in the workplace; they have taught the other generations to "dress down and lighten up."

The "always on" Millennials came of age in an era of instantaneous global communication, media saturation, and material excess. They also grew up in the "decade of the child" with an extraordinary focus on children's issues. Most Millennials cannot remember a world that was not internet-enabled and when the did not have a personal digital device to connect them to any content, person, or virtual activity that they wished to engage. They are high-speed, multitasking, stimulus junkies who pay constant partial attention (to you and everything). These digital natives are oriented to group-work, 24/7 instant access to power and information, and fast-paced work. So why should their expectation of feedback (usually positive) leading to quick advancement, be any different? They presume it will be fast, frequent and friendly. Millennials tend away from reading traditional books, relying more on video and sound bites to learn.

Though I am a Millennial, the Generation X sounds more accurate. I actually do remember a time before the internet became widespread and mainstream and manage just fine without a phone glued to my hand. Funny how that works.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Is this accurate or complete bullshit?

SaltyCal

Full Squid
NNID
Jimbo21
Switch Friend Code
SW-2497-8552-1603
I dunno. I'm a Millennial, and I read a lot of "traditional" books. I don't remember a time before the internet, though. I'd say it's half-accurate and half bs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom