1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Getting Splats is more incentivized in Splatoon 2

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by birdiebee, Aug 8, 2017.

1. birdiebee

birdiebee Inkling Commander

NNID:
    birdiebee
    As a preface, I am referring mostly to Ranked Modes in this post just because I rarely go to Turf Wars.

I'm not really sure where to go with this post, but I am wondering if anyone feels the same way and can contribute more fact-based insights into whether this is the case or not.

Playing ranked, on average more players are getting more kills than what I was used to in Splatoon 1. This could be a result of people who are veterans or skilled players still climbing through the B- to A- range, but I don't think it is because the kills are often not one-sided. Sometimes all 8 players have gotten at least 10 splats. This is almost surely a result of gameplay changes more than match-making.

Gameplay is more fast-paced and action-based. Specials are less likely to single-handedly turn the tides in battle, there are invincibility specials so it takes more skill to flee an encounter. Maybe the hardest thing to measure in comparison to Splatoon 1 is that map design could also be geared toward forcing/encouraging players to battle in the mid. Moray and Mackerel's zones have been centralized, as an obvious example, but many stages' Tower routes don't venture as far into enemy territory as they might have before, either. Designs on stages like Shipyard and Musselforge make it really difficult to venture that far into the enemy's base.

Again, I'm really just sharing some of my observations and there's no research here, but I'm interested in the community's thoughts. FWIW I like these design and mechanic adjustments. The flow of battle feels a little more exciting. But yeah.

2. ultra777

ultra777 Full Squid

NNID:
    crazydragon1000
    I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure that kills and assists in the results screen are actually tallied together. You can see the actual kills in Splatnet by subtracting the assists which are in the parenthesis from the total.

mercenariez, Dog King and birdiebee like this.
  3. birdiebee

birdiebee Inkling Commander

NNID:
    birdiebee
    whoa if true

that is something that went right above my head
    thanks for the tip. i don't use splatnet

4. Hero of Lime

Hero of Lime Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Link643
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5339-5185-8796.
    The same is said for Turf in this game too. I'm sure you noticed in your time with turf war that players were very focused on racking up splats, and it's still very true in the game now. There's been a lot of talk on the subject, most agree the map designs are more focused on pushing players to the center of the map, creating more clashes. In turf for example, there is almost no way to be able to merely go off to a remote corner of the map and just ink a lot of turf like you could in the first game. Because everyone is getting more kills, people respawning will see that someone has gotten into their area and will deal with them.

Ranked was always more of a bloodbath than turf, but the kill counts are definitely much higher in this game. In my average ranked match that does not end very quickly, I will have about 15-23 splats, which I never got in Splatoon 1 ranked battles. Full team wipes I notice in all modes are much more common too.

the likes this.
  5. AwesomeCookie

AwesomeCookie Pro Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-7071-8973-2321
    They defiantly are getting a lot more kills than in Splatoon 1. And like how many people in this discussion have said, it all has to do with the newly designed levels, making the players getting the center point.

Dog King likes this.
  6. RespawningJesus

RespawningJesus I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
    Premium

NNID:
    RespawningJesus
    It is the level design. Most maps in Splatoon 1 favored longer, but narrower maps. Maps in Splatoon 2 are shorter, but wider. So people end up just meeting each other in less time in this game.

7. SH101

SH101 Senior Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8123-4313-8823
    I've noticed a lot more agro players for sure.. I've had a few occasions where I'll get a few good splats on somebody with the.96 because I way outrange them and they spend the rest of the match or even the next couple aggressively trying to kill me. Sadly for them , I still outrange them. That type of play has gotten my splat rate up...

Ansible likes this.
  8. MindWanderer

MindWanderer Inkling Commander

NNID:
    MindWanderer
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5961-6763-3987
    The design and the smaller maps are part of it, but the assists are a big part, too. Note that you don't just get assists for dealing damage to an opponent that your ally finishes off, but for when you throw up an Ink Armor that helps your ally survive an encounter or when your ally splats an opponent marked by your Point Sensor or Ink Mine. Presumably Toxic Mist works, too, though I haven't seen this in play. I get a ton of assists, personally, often about 1/3 of my direct splats.

mercenariez and Ansible like this.
  9. Dessgeega

Dessgeega Squid Savior From the Future

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    The obliteration of Quick Respawn is also a factor. There's no real way to ease the penalty of being taken out now.

Ansible and RespawningJesus like this.
  10. Debbie

Debbie Senior Squid

NNID:
    MissRora
    It's still in the game... Or did you mean that it's significantly changed since the first game? I haven't played the first game so please pardon my lack of knowledge on that front.

11. RespawningJesus

Premium

NNID:
    RespawningJesus
    Pretty much, in this game, you have to avoid Splatting the enemy if you want to receive the Quick Respawn benefits, which isn't really worth it if you are a decent enough player, especially since the maps seems to favor confrontation a lot more this time around.

Debbie and Dessgeega like this.
  12. Dessgeega

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    Now Quick Respawn only works if you never actually kill opponents, and any decent player is going to have at least a couple kills by the end of a given match. An ability that doesn't activate until you've died twice without killing anyone is worthless to everyone except newbies and pacifists.

13. Lyn

Lyn Squid Savior From the Future
    Premium

I have to agree, it does seem to have a bigger focus in this game.

14. Danku

Danku Inkling Commander

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-6239-2879-4288
    RIP the days where you could just go off on your own inking turf without needing to play Call of Gooty: Muck Warfare.
    Getting splats sure is fun, but it makes you miss the (relatively speaking) pacifist options the first game had.

Debbie, the and Ansible like this.
  15. Debbie

Debbie Senior Squid

NNID:
    MissRora
    That is useless! Why Ninty? Just why?

Danku likes this.
  16. Danku

Danku Inkling Commander

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-6239-2879-4288
    I guess because Quick Respawn became so meta in the first game. People were stacking loads of Quick Respawn and go on suicide missions to splat somebody, but they would always respawn quicker if the enemies didnt have quick respawn, leading to some teams always having inklings on the battlefield. It was terrible, buyt they shouldnt have absolutely butchered the ability like they did in this game...

Debbie likes this.
  17. Dessgeega

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    Yeah, they went too far. It went from a flat reduction in respawn time to the same with too many stipulations. For a random idea, I think it might have conceivably worked better with a draining mechanic: 100% effectiveness for your first death regardless, 50% for the second, and 0 beyond that. Something that lets it work without making it overbearing.

Debbie likes this.
  18. RespawningJesus

Premium

NNID:
    RespawningJesus
    Personally, I think that spawn timers shouldn't be messed with in games. It is one thing if the game gives you the option to respawn at will, a la CoD, but if a game doesn't give you that option, then you should stick with it. It is up to the developers to understand what respawn timers are appropriate for their game.

Danku and Dessgeega like this.
  19. Danku

Danku Inkling Commander

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-6239-2879-4288
    I agree. Honestly, I think Quick Respawn should be axed when Splatoon 3 comes in like, 2022 or something. ;p Messing with the respawn timers is just a big rabbit hole that's impossible to balance imo. and get rid of that nasty Respawn Punisher. a game that makes us play the game LESS? C'mon now.

Debbie and RespawningJesus like this.