• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Giving charge guns a bigger kill ink spray

ecaflip

Inkster Jr.
NNID
None
As it stands right now, charge guns aren't seen as good as other options for turf wars outside of a kill weapon. I'd like to suggest the notion that kills with a charge gun would reward the player with bigger inksplosions so that the weapon archetype still fits into the -I wanna kill people at range- category but also provides the team with well needed ink coverage.

FEF

Full Squid
NNID
TheFEF
I think it really lacks ink efficiency. Also the charge time should be greatly reduced. In a game with mega-jumps and quick respawns, there's no place for a gun so slow.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
It has what the other's dont; range.

FEF

Full Squid
NNID
TheFEF
It has what the other's dont; range.
But does it really matter when it's so slow to charge? Its range makes it the safer killing option - assuming its fully charged. But when its charged, you're not helping the team ink things, you can scarcely move, and you can't hide in the ink. For a 'sniper' type weapon, the charger lacks any element of stealth or surprise.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
But does it really matter when it's so slow to charge? Its range makes it the safer killing option - assuming its fully charged. But when its charged, you're not helping the team ink things, you can scarcely move, and you can't hide in the ink. For a 'sniper' type weapon, the charger lacks any element of stealth or surprise.
Well it does matter when it's charged, because it shoots a long line if you don't aim it too close to you. It also kills basically on hit so it's mostly a sniping weapon, used for damaging and making quick paths instead of inking everything. That's mostly the Roller's job.

Bobojack

Inkling
It only gets better if you have good teammates. You as the sniper can secure a big ink-sprayable ground with it while another one inks the ground and walls around the secured area. While you do that, you can have 2 rollers or splatters who go deep for the central ink-sprayable areas and even for kills. It isnt that good of a weapon if you are on your own tho. A roller followed by a sniper can do wonders too.

Lucky Fool

Inkling
It only gets better if you have good teammates.
Ya it's both a offensive, defensive and support weapon class in it's own right but without teammates to help you chargers aren't worth much in the game as is. Long range at full charge, great area coverage and best path maker for squidding through but with out support (or a noobish team) the charger doesn't have enough strength to take lead of a losing team.

Trevor

Inkling
I didn't have too many complaints in terms of balancing whlist using the charger. Although I did believe the maps in the Demo weren't really viable for the weapon, since it was mostly all on the ground and tight spaces. I wasn't really underwhelmed or overwhelmed with the gun. You also have to keep in mind that its the most basic form of the charger. There's bound to be loads more with all types of different effects and with all the gear bonuses in the game I'm sure you'll be able to get what you want out of any weapon really.

P.S. I did manage to pull of a two piece with the Charger in my 3rd game :)

Lucky Fool

Inkling
Ya it's both a offensive, defensive and support weapon class in it's own right but without teammates to help you chargers aren't worth much in the game as is. Long range at full charge, great area coverage and best path maker for squidding through but with out support (or a noobish team) the charger doesn't have enough strength to take lead of a losing team.
Know what, i'm going to add to this by saying that while teams are a good part of charge class a good part of the battle, knowing how long it charges up, being aggressive/defensive when the time call for it and always taking the high ground will make the charge shots much better at matches. Just tried the 3rd testfire and acted more like a rusher and got to high ground over large zone and it made a big difference how the control of the map
went.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
It seems balanced around the fact it gives long lanes for the splatters to go down and its ability to stop enemy progression. Ideally you're not so much covering ground as preventing enemies from covering ground.
mostly agree with Lucky Fool.

Alexandoop

Inkling
NNID
TheUltraDeino
TBH it's not that great in Turf Wars, however, there is more than one game type. I can see that the chargers will be used the most in Tower Control.

Gis4Gamer

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gis4Gamer
The Chager is definitely a good weapon. Once you know how to use it both to kill enemies and spread ink, you can do really well. I looked at the guide they have here and implemented it in the testfire and I won a majority of my games. I even won against a team with one of each of the weapons you can choose, while my team had three Chargers and a Roller. When spreading ink You should only charge it enough to cover the area. Do not fully charge the shot just to cover a small line in front of you. Take advantage of long lines of site to cover as much ink with the fully charged shot and use quicker shots to cover a small line ahead of you. When fighting enemies, pay attention to the reticle, when you see an X through it, it means you will hit the enemy. Take advantage of your mines. Use them to take out enemies you can't shoot because you can't get an angle on them. If they are below you, you can throw it at your feet and it will bounce off and fall down to their level. If they are above you then throw it so it arcs onto their platform, or bounce it off a nearby wall. If an enemy is headed toward you and you can't charge up a shot in time, then throw a mine at your feet. Know when to retreat. If the enemy is getting too close for comfort, then hop into squid form and retreat. Distance is your friend, you can shoot the enemy, but they can't shoot you. Take advantage of small alley ways, the enemy won't have anywhere to move to avoid your shot. This is everything I've learned from playing the Global Testfire for an hour with just the Charger.

TL;DR: I do not think the Charger needs any form of buff. You just need to know how to use it properly.

Last edited:

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
...but with out support (or a noobish team) the charger doesn't have enough strength to take lead of a losing team.
actually, in one of my matches, me and 1 other player (both chargers) beat 4 players in turf war. it was just the 2 of us, the rest of the team left as soon as the match started.

FEF

Full Squid
NNID
TheFEF
All this stuff you guys are saying about teamwork vertical maps and such is true and good... But everything applies moreso to better gun-type weapons. You're only explaining how to make the charge gun usable, but none of that allows it to outclass other weapons.

I do hope that the customizations make it a better weapon though.

Lucky Fool

Inkling
actually, in one of my matches, me and 1 other player (both chargers) beat 4 players in turf war. it was just the 2 of us, the rest of the team left as soon as the match started.
First response was after the second test when I wasn't thinking things through. The 3rd play I figured out more or less how to properly you it.

All this stuff you guys are saying about teamwork vertical maps and such is true and good... But everything applies moreso to better gun-type weapons. You're only explaining how to make the charge gun usable, but none of that allows it to outclass other weapons.

I do hope that the customizations make it a better weapon though.
FEF the chargers are, strangely enough, the "rushers" of the bunch because of their long shot. A fully charged 2 sec shot will out reach all the other types even if the players moves forward inking with them, making it quicker to squid travel across the map and help take early choke points and high vantage spots to cover the rest of the map, along with its its lethal firing range for opponents. I do believe the set up for the demo wasn't in the charger's favor though.

Wiley

Smeargle
NNID
MrWiley
It's a great balance of range damage and utility. I would never overlook the linear control it gives for your team on alleys where a roller might get mowed down. I would say all of these basic weapons were useful. Perhaps as a "starter" level weapon to each class (melee, assault, range, etc.) I'd say the roller is probably one of the strongest standards, but I stuck to the splat jr... that shield was beast and it mowed people down close range in no time flat.

Stylish

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Vontos
Plus we got to consider how the abilities of gears will change how well each main weapon type does.

Marie

Inkster Jr.
Here's something I picked up:

"The Charger is a supportive weapon, and can be used to provide cover for allies, so while it may not have the ink splattering power of a Roller or Splattershot
it can pick off enemies from a distance, definitely helpful."

Charging it up all the way will show off it's power! Hence the name, but if you have the skills to master this weapon, you can pick your enemies off, one-by-one!

Rollers won't know what hit them! (Well.. That's not entirely true since it shows what weapon you were splattered by.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom