• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Good ability set based on Ninja Squid?

Jack White

Inkling
So I use the Ninja Squid ability... a lot. I know that having a Swim Speed Up as a main and two for subs will negate the defect of the ability. Also, I use the ninja mask from the amiibo that has Quick Respawn as its main ability. Therefore, there are seven other slots I can use for sub abilities. I have a few ideas on what to use, but I would like to hear other peoples ideas on what abilities would work well with the ones I'm using so far. What's your thoughts and opinions?

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
No offense, but you should use something besides quick respawn. Any half-decent player is going to get at least a few assists, which shuts off quick respawn.

Anyway, you could always build around Ninja Squid, since you're devoting at least a third of your outfit to mobility as is. 3 mains (or equivalent number of subs) of swim speed will let you really zoom about sneakily. Ink resist is also handy for avoiding hang-ups in enemy ink.

Jack White

Inkling
No offense, but you should use something besides quick respawn. Any half-decent player is going to get at least a few assists, which shuts off quick respawn.
Literally the ONLY reason I have that is because its the main for the ninja mask. My gamertag is majikninja and I have been trying to follow that gimmick for my character. Anyways, I see what you mean about having ink resistance, I could force it and have 3 for both main and sub weapons. I thought about using cold blooded, because it will make my character even more sneaker, but I don't usually have issues with point sensors. Unless, of course, Cold Blooded works for staying hidden from missiles and stinger, in which case I could see a use for that

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Cold-Blooded generally isn't worth it, as situational as it is. It reduces the duration of point sensors, ink mines, and tenta missile tracking, while increasing the distance Haunt, Thermal Ink and the sting ray's thermal ink effect need to work. However, if the enemy doesn't bring any of these to the battle, or even just fails to use them against you, it's wasted slots.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Believe me, just about everyone who liked Octoling Armor from the first game knows your suffering. It had Sub Saver, and especially in the early days before it got buffed it got outshined by Main Saver/Ink Recovery Up. But it still had it's fans for it's stylish design.

But more importantly, what weapons do you use for the most part? That'd help the most with picking a set of abilities.

Jack White

Inkling
But more importantly, what weapons do you use for the most part? That'd help the most with picking a set of abilities.
I.... use a lot of different weapons lol. I try to switch between types of guns to get better at ones I'm weaker with (like the chargers), make the game more interesting, and to know the ins and outs of the weapon to get an idea of what my opponents might do with them. However, the ones I am noticeably best with are the basic splatters like the aerospray, splattershot, Sploosh-O-Matic, and N-Zap, but I am also really good with the Rollers and Umbrellas as well.

the

Inkling Commander
Well, I'm not too great with shorter range shooters, but I know @Award is the resident sploosh-o-matic and aerospray enthusiast, so maybe they can help you?

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Well, I'm not too great with shorter range shooters, but I know @Award is the resident sploosh-o-matic and aerospray enthusiast, so maybe they can help you?
I generally don't enjoy overused "meta" weapons, so after aerospray went meta in S2 I only play it grudgingly..... pre-1.4 it may have been the "better sploosh" in a lot of ways. I'll always have a soft spot for it, it was my old splatfest main, and I used it for a while this fest (MG), but dapple and sploosh took up most of my fest play (and the beacons on the dapples really went far on that ridiculous revolving door Shifty Station! Too bad vanilla sploosh doesn't have beacons like in S1!)

Honestly I don't get too into the clothing thing. I DO have a general set for each weapon I play (many are redundant) but I don't really do that "snails and chunks to maximize slots" thing. I play enough that I could, but just haven't gotten into it for some reason. Usually I just pick 3 slot versions (if available) of the 3 main abilities I want, and then if if I have, say, three 3-slot swim-speed shoes, I'll just use the one that got the best roll (or that compliments the random rolls on another one.)

For sploosh I'll so I've tried both ninja+2 swim mains and I generally stick with that. I've also tried replacing the ninja with run speed to make it a bit faster in all directions. Both worked out well for me. Some people do all run speed....I did that more in S1 which also worked. Depends if you play it as a fast moving shooter, or more stealthy like an automatic roller.

Aero, I think I've gone with run speed and ink saver main. Both weapons coat the ground at your feet well so I never felt a need for ink resistance with them. A blaster OTOH I won't touch without ink resist.

All that said, it sound like you're going for "freshness" more than the abilities themselves with the Ninja set. Nothing wrong with that!

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
"Ackchyually"...

Quick respawn is unaffected by assists. Which means he can get as much assists as he wants without losing the affect.

Still though, with ninja squid, you probably will be going for kills with your additional stealth. As a ninja is rarely going to put all that effort into sneaking around for just harassment. Weapons that work well with this though are the brushes and rollers, weapons that punish unaware foes and win the gunfight easily once they get to initiate.

I have friends who play both and rely on ninja squid just to play them.
Please don't do that. Ever. Please.
Instead try finding your play style & weapon first, and then go looking around for what abilities you want.

Jack White

Inkling
For sploosh I'll so I've tried both ninja+2 swim mains and I generally stick with that. I've also tried replacing the ninja with run speed to make it a bit faster in all directions. Both worked out well for me. Some people do all run speed....I did that more in S1 which also worked. Depends if you play it as a fast moving shooter, or more stealthy like an automatic roller.

Aero, I think I've gone with run speed and ink saver main. Both weapons coat the ground at your feet well so I never felt a need for ink resistance with them. A blaster OTOH I won't touch without ink resist.

All that said, it sound like you're going for "freshness" more than the abilities themselves with the Ninja set. Nothing wrong with that!
Thanks for the advice, I could see Ink Saver Main and Run Speed work well in my favor. I like to use the Blasters sometimes, especially the Rapid Blaster or the Luna, but I tend to stay away from them because of the lack of ground coverage. I'm usually that guy sneaking off covering the ground while the other team isn't looking, or if on the offensive I do like to play the role the sneak attacker especially with rollers which is why I like the Ninja Squid ability so much. And yeah, I am pretty much just going for looks, but im trying to see what combination works well with the abilities im using seeing how I usually stick to one outfit.

Jack White

Inkling
"Ackchyually"...

Quick respawn is unaffected by assists. Which means he can get as much assists as he wants without losing the affect.

Still though, with ninja squid, you probably will be going for kills with your additional stealth. As a ninja is rarely going to put all that effort into sneaking around for just harassment. Weapons that work well with this though are the brushes and rollers, weapons that punish unaware foes and win the gunfight easily once they get to initiate.

I have friends who play both and rely on ninja squid just to play them.
Please don't do that. Ever. Please.
Instead try finding your play style & weapon first, and then go looking around for what abilities you want.
I have many different play styles as I use many different types of guns, but all of which I try to take advantage of the ninja squid ability. For rollers and brushes... I abuse this ability hardcore, especially when the other team is focuses on shooting other teammates, in which case ill sneak up and kill everyone gathered together lol. But I do not stick to only using rollers and brushes, that would get boring after a while

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
For blasters, in my experience you usually want to go for ink recovery, swim speed, ink resist and (depending on which blaster you're using) bomb defense.

I find ninja squid to be helpful on brushes and rollers, but for splooshes I tend to go for a TON of mobility, because you are usually the one approaching your opponent.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
My advice is not going to be that different than what a lot of other people have said. Swim Speeds to negate the speed downgrade, and then whatever would be good for your weapon. Is many cases, that will result in going with some Ink Saver Main. But I will break it down by what I usually do with the weapons you are using.

Aerospray - Run Speed Up, Ink Saver Sub

Splattershot - Special Charge Up

Sploosh-o-Matic - Run Speed Up, Special Charge Up

N-Zap 85 - See Sploosh-o-Matic

Rollers in general - Ink Saver Main, Ink Resistance
Specifically:
Splat Roller - Special Charge Up, Special Saver
Krak-On Splat Roller - Ink Saver Sub
Carbon Roller - Ink Saver Sub, Quick Respawn, Special Saver
Flingza Roller - Ink Saver Sub, Special Charge Up
Dynamo Roller - You might be better off just curling up in the corner and crying. Otherwise try Thermal Ink.

Splat Brella - Ink Saver Main, Sub Power Up (if you like the Sprinkler Sub like I do.)

Tenta Brella - Ink Saver Main, a lot of it. Also you should bring with you a lot of hope.

Another weapon class I would recommend trying are the brushes. Neither one of them needs a lot of Ink Resistance due to the recent changes made to them in version 1.4 so I would focus on Ink Saver Main and Special Charge Up.

After all of that is said and done, another thing that would free up a main ability slot is changing your head piece. I know you said that you want to keep the head piece to complete the ninja aesthetic, but hear me out. First of all, the ninja hood isn't the only piece that obscures your face. The bandannas and the face masks do the allow a similar look while allowing other abilities to be thrown into the mix. But what I am getting at is that you don't need to go that far at all. Historically, Ninjas have sported all kinds of looks. Identity obscurement (don't know if this is a word or not) is a classic look. But not all Ninjas necessarily did that. Some Ninjas would take the road of hiding in plain sight by wearing clothing that simply fit in with the culture of the location they were working in. This fit the styles of Ninjas like infiltrators or the infamous Kunoichi quite well. The idea being not that people didn't know who the Ninja was, but that no one knew they were a Ninja in the first place. Above all, remember that traditional Ninjutsu is more about stealth than anything else. So become one with the ink and use it to conceal your true intentions!

I hate sauerkraut is what I'm really trying to say here.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
My advice is not going to be that different than what a lot of other people have said. Swim Speeds to negate the speed downgrade, and then whatever would be good for your weapon. Is many cases, that will result in going with some Ink Saver Main. But I will break it down by what I usually do with the weapons you are using.

Aerospray - Run Speed Up, Ink Saver Sub

Splattershot - Special Charge Up

Sploosh-o-Matic - Run Speed Up, Special Charge Up

N-Zap 85 - See Sploosh-o-Matic

Rollers in general - Ink Saver Main, Ink Resistance
Specifically:
Splat Roller - Special Charge Up, Special Saver
Krak-On Splat Roller - Ink Saver Sub
Carbon Roller - Ink Saver Sub, Quick Respawn, Special Saver
Flingza Roller - Ink Saver Sub, Special Charge Up
Dynamo Roller - You might be better off just curling up in the corner and crying. Otherwise try Thermal Ink.

Splat Brella - Ink Saver Main, Sub Power Up (if you like the Sprinkler Sub like I do.)

Tenta Brella - Ink Saver Main, a lot of it. Also you should bring with you a lot of hope.

Another weapon class I would recommend trying are the brushes. Neither one of them needs a lot of Ink Resistance due to the recent changes made to them in version 1.4 so I would focus on Ink Saver Main and Special Charge Up.

After all of that is said and done, another thing that would free up a main ability slot is changing your head piece. I know you said that you want to keep the head piece to complete the ninja aesthetic, but hear me out. First of all, the ninja hood isn't the only piece that obscures your face. The bandannas and the face masks do the allow a similar look while allowing other abilities to be thrown into the mix. But what I am getting at is that you don't need to go that far at all. Historically, Ninjas have sported all kinds of looks. Identity obscurement (don't know if this is a word or not) is a classic look. But not all Ninjas necessarily did that. Some Ninjas would take the road of hiding in plain sight by wearing clothing that simply fit in with the culture of the location they were working in. This fit the styles of Ninjas like infiltrators or the infamous Kunoichi quite well. The idea being not that people didn't know who the Ninja was, but that no one knew they were a Ninja in the first place. Above all, remember that traditional Ninjutsu is more about stealth than anything else. So become one with the ink and use it to conceal your true intentions!

I hate sauerkraut is what I'm really trying to say here.

+1 for Fun history on Ninjas for the theme here. Romanticised Ninjas are kind of like the romanticism of pirates. Not all pirates looked like Blackbeared, most of them were just defecting military officers stealing their ship. And Ninjas were just the spooks/intel officers/spies of their day. Other than their coolness and life-dedication to the craft they did most of the same things todays spies do.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
+1 for Fun history on Ninjas for the theme here. Romanticised Ninjas are kind of like the romanticism of pirates. Not all pirates looked like Blackbeared, most of them were just defecting military officers stealing their ship. And Ninjas were just the spooks/intel officers/spies of their day. Other than their coolness and life-dedication to the craft they did most of the same things todays spies do.
Precisely! I think that what makes a Ninja is the stealth aspect. It doesn't matter if you dress like a romanticized Ninja (think Ryu Hayabusa here) or like a normal person you would never suspect is a Ninja! Think about which one is more surprising. A guy dressed like a classic Ninja coming at you, or getting assaulted out of nowhere by a random dock worker with a sword and a chip on his shoulder. I think we all know the answer here. ;) Probably both actually...

blep

Inkster Jr.
haha I'm bumping a dead thread but oh well.

One meme build for Krak-On roller w/ Squinja set, coming right up.

...the Squinja Suit doesn't have NS? wow that sucks. Missed opportunity. But if you'd like, use the Toni Kensa Kung-Fu Zip-Up. Still stylish and fits well into the set.

Here is a build with Squinja Mask and Boots. The aforementioned zip-up isn't available on the outdated website I've used. For an amateur like you (A Rank, that is) QR is in fact a solid choice. (Odds are you don't have the aim necessary to secure kills in one flick.) Sub Power is useful for Squid Beakons, increasing jump time to them for the whole team, so I've included a good bit of that as well. However, you are still an amateur, but you need to use your beakons. Lastly, I've added 2 subs of Swim Speed to fully negate Ninja Squid's debuff to your swim speed.

Should you want to drop the Quick Respawn, you could also use some Ink Recovery, a little Special Power, or more Swim Speed. I like Tenacity for Ninja Squid because you will be hiding a lot and sitting doing nothing, during which Tenacity can earn you some free special points. If you are like me and like Tenacity, try Enperry's Octoking Facemask on for size. (again, not available on the website)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom