• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Good abilitys for Classic Squiffer?

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I've been changing weapons constantly during today's Splatfest, even using ones I deem questionable like the Sploosh-O-Matic. I soon realized there was one weapon I've somehow not used used since the games launch, the Squiffer! I guess I was just too afraid to try it since I use stick controls so my accuracy may not be good enough for it, and I'm definitely not a fan of it's sub weapons. However I finally gave it a go today and have really enjoyed it the few games I've played with it thus far. So much so that now I want to use it more regularly! The only question is, what abilitys should I use with it? Here's what I'm thinking of going with:

:head_ncp003: :ability_tenacity: | :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:clothes_tly008: :ability_specialsaver: | :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:shoes_slo006: :ability_specialcharge: | :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Pretty much focusing purely on that Bubbler, which is definitely nice on a well ranged weapon. I don't feel I need Ink efficiency since I'm not gonna use Point Sensors that much, and strength up sadly does not reduce the amount of charge time needed to one hit kill. Of course I've only played a few matches with this thing, hence I could definitely be missing or not seeing something, so please let me know of any other good set-ups aswell as any general tips for Squiffer play!

Jeffrizzel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeffrizzel
Squiffer is like the only charger I can use. I like the mobility it has. The one hit ko is great too. It's already very good on its own that it's hard for me to figure out what to put with it. Ink Saver Main is probably good cause you deplete ink pretty quick. Cold Blooded is probably good. You can throw in like two swim speed up subs and two run speed up subs for even more mobility. Special Duration Up is great if you are using bubbler or kraken, so consider using that.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
i use cold-blooded so that my mobility and ninja-ness is not wasted (since the squiffer is really vulnerable if enemies are onto you), ink res for pretty much the same reason (since otherwise a single shot from any weapon will pretty much trap you and kill you).

other than that, i kinda like bomb range up for the point sensor i guess? if not, just focus on run/swim speed to increase your mobility even further and guarantee escapes a little better.

Scotch

Inkling
NNID
ScotchKaz
I think ink saver main, run/swim speed, ink resist, and special duration are pretty good for it.

Ber

Full Squid
NNID
Bernee
I run :ability_inksaversub: because I like throwing lots of :pointsensor:, I feel knowing what's coming and being ready for it is really important for this weapon, :ability_bombrange: helps with that too.

Mortiz

Inkling
I've been changing weapons constantly during today's Splatfest, even using ones I deem questionable like the Sploosh-O-Matic. I soon realized there was one weapon I've somehow not used used since the games launch, the Squiffer! I guess I was just too afraid to try it since I use stick controls so my accuracy may not be good enough for it, and I'm definitely not a fan of it's sub weapons. However I finally gave it a go today and have really enjoyed it the few games I've played with it thus far. So much so that now I want to use it more regularly! The only question is, what abilitys should I use with it? Here's what I'm thinking of going with:

:head_ncp003: :ability_tenacity: | :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:clothes_tly008: :ability_specialsaver: | :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:shoes_slo006: :ability_specialcharge: | :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Pretty much focusing purely on that Bubbler, which is definitely nice on a well ranged weapon. I don't feel I need Ink efficiency since I'm not gonna use Point Sensors that much, and strength up sadly does not reduce the amount of charge time needed to one hit kill. Of course I've only played a few matches with this thing, hence I could definitely be missing or not seeing something, so please let me know of any other good set-ups aswell as any general tips for Squiffer play!
Hi, Dolphin! =) Nice to see u are a stick user as well!

Isn't some DMG useful as well? I know it charges real quick but if pushed milisecs can mean the difference and DMG should allow kill if not fully charged. Or am I wrong?

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Hi, Dolphin! =) Nice to see u are a stick user as well!

Isn't some DMG useful as well? I know it charges real quick but if pushed milisecs can mean the difference and DMG should allow kill if not fully charged. Or am I wrong?
No, that's true. And since the Squiffer is still a 1-shot weapon and it has the fastest charge, it can kill very quickly. However, partly chargihg it means you need to be very close to your opponent, meaning that it works mainly for offensive Squiffer players (more so New Squiffer than Classic Squiffer).

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Sorry for not responding sooner, but thanks for the suggestions yal! I've been appreciating Point Sensors more lately, so I think I'll go with the bomb range up idea by @sammich and @Ber , thanks guys!

Power

Inkling Commander
Special Saver may be viable as the squiffer is kind of hit or miss (and you die). Run speed ups, ink resistance maybe I guess. Not too fond of damage ups on a squiffer. I haven't used it in a while so take this advice lightly.

Kodidro

Full Squid
Content Team
As a charger main, I tend to go to the Squiffer every so often (super fun weapon) and what I typically use as far as main abilities is Ink Resistance Up, Bomb Range Up (for classic Squiffer only, because of Point Sensors), and some Defense Up or Special Saver. For sub abilities, good ones to have are Special Duration Up, either Run or Swim Speed Up.

My exact set is:
Pilot Goggles (Bomb Range up, Special Duration Up x3)
Octoling Armor (Special Saver (Sub), Defense Up x2, Special Saver Up)
Blue Motto Boots (Ink Resistance Up, Run Speed Up x3)

As far as damage up goes on Chargers, it normally is helpful, but after testing it in the firing range it honestly seems pretty useless on Squiffers. The algorithm used to charge squiffers is different and basically doubles from 70-ish percent damage to 140 when it hits full charge, so damage up is almost wasted. Personal opinion though, I'm sure some enjoy damage up on it.

Side note - how do you get those clothes & abilities to show up as icons in your message?

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I picked this weapon up a few days ago when I was goofing off with a buddy. It's probably the only charger that fits my playstyle, so I'm thinking of trying to get good with it. There are so many suggestions here and I'm not sure which way to take this.

I'm thinking
:head_eye002:|:ability_bombrange:,:ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange::ability_specialduration:
:clothes_tes007:|:ability_specialcharge:,:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed:
:shoes_bot003:|:ability_inkresistance:,:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
(@Kodidro use the smiley icon in the reply box)

That gives me some bomb range for point sensors, special charge to get bubbler, and run speed for mobility while charging/charged.

I'm nervous about ink consumption though and wondering if I should add some ink saver main or ink recovery.

EDIT: BTW, @Lonely_Dolphin, I really want that vector shirt. So good...

Kodidro

Full Squid
Content Team
Squiffers are geared toward aggressive playstyles, so if you've used a lot of shooters that may be why. It's a very fun weapon

:head_eye002::ability_bombrange: :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
:clothes_rvl: :ability_inksaversub: :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_specialsaver:
:shoes_bot003: :ability_inkresistance: :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
There we go! That's what I normally use. I enjoy it.

Honestly, I like the idea of Defense Ups on it, because it's so much more of an in-the-fray weapon, which is why I opt for this particular shirt. Special Charge Up is solid though too, I think, because there's zero turfing aside from your shots, so it works well.

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
I use this on New Squiffer.
:head_cap002::ability_defenseup::ability_damage::ability_runspeed::ability_damage:
clothes_vest000:ability_swimspeed::ability_defenseup::ability_swimspeed::ability_defenseup:
:shoes_trs000::ability_inkrecovery::ability_defenseup::ability_swimspeed::ability_defenseup:

Guess while this thread is here might as well make sure I don't have to make any adjustments.

Last edited:

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
I think run speed is good on a squiffer bc. I don't think you need quite that many special charge ups, and tenacity isn't as good as just staying alive is. I would swap Tenacity for special charge. However you don't really need much for the squiffer it's pretty good with anything.

What I would do If i wanted to focus on bubbler I would run

:head_vis001: :ability_specialcharge:| :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: ( I know you don't wanna use point sensors But I highly suggest you look more into it, bomb range isn't really necessary though.)
:clothes_plo001: :ability_runspeed:| :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
and then you could either go for more special charge or more mobility
:shoes_lts002:/punk whites :ability_specialcharge:| :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: OR :shoes_bot003: :ability_inkresistance:| :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I picked this weapon up a few days ago when I was goofing off with a buddy. It's probably the only charger that fits my playstyle, so I'm thinking of trying to get good with it. There are so many suggestions here and I'm not sure which way to take this.

I'm thinking
:head_eye002:|:ability_bombrange:,:ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange::ability_specialduration:
:clothes_tes007:|:ability_specialcharge:,:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed:
:shoes_bot003:|:ability_inkresistance:,:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
(@Kodidro use the smiley icon in the reply box)

That gives me some bomb range for point sensors, special charge to get bubbler, and run speed for mobility while charging/charged.

I'm nervous about ink consumption though and wondering if I should add some ink saver main or ink recovery.

EDIT: BTW, @Lonely_Dolphin, I really want that vector shirt. So good...
I haven't had any problems with ink efficiency, the sub has the second lowest ink cost and isn't gonna be used in the heat of combat, and the Bubbler insta refils. As for the Shirt, that's it's natural roll, so you can get it easily enough.

I think run speed is good on a squiffer bc. I don't think you need quite that many special charge ups, and tenacity isn't as good as just staying alive is. I would swap Tenacity for special charge. However you don't really need much for the squiffer it's pretty good with anything.

What I would do If i wanted to focus on bubbler I would run

:head_vis001: :ability_specialcharge:| :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: ( I know you don't wanna use point sensors But I highly suggest you look more into it, bomb range isn't really necessary though.)
:clothes_plo001: :ability_runspeed:| :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
and then you could either go for more special charge or more mobility
:shoes_lts002:/punk whites :ability_specialcharge:| :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: OR :shoes_bot003: :ability_inkresistance:| :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
I have tried run speed but I don't know, just didn't feel like it made much of a difference to. And don't get me wrong I still use point sensors of course, just not as often as I would other subs with it's more limited utility.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Yeah, I just got the shirt last week with the intent of getting three special charge ups for subs. It took me awhile to find it; no one runs it and the shop is a craps shoot. Still...now I need money to roll stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom