• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Good Weapons for Me to Try?

AoriCallie

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1891-3013-5627
So, this thread might be a bit strange, but I have a question. Right now my favorite weapon is the Gold Dynamo Roller, and while I'd like to think I'm pretty okay with it, I know it's currently not the most viable weapon in the meta. So I'd like some recommendations from those who know the meta better than I do, as I'm very new to competitive.

I like an approach that somewhat mixes being aggressive and hanging back, meaning long range is a must for me. I also like to cover a lot of ground for my team to keep the map under control so that we can always push back and escape if something is going wrong. I don't have the best aim right now; I'm still learning that. Stingray and chargers are very difficult for me to use.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, or if this is somewhat weird; I didn't really know where else to put this and really wanted to know if anyone had any advice ^^;; I'm not an S rank in any mode yet, because I'm still learning, and I'd like to broaden my horizons and learn a weapon that's likely more viable than the gold dynamo is (though I will probably keep using it casually. I think it's fun).

Thank you to anyone who answers!

saint_kthulhu

Full Squid
That’s tough because the meta is short-medium range. I think the Forge SS Pro is probably the longest range “meta” weapon. But that might be more aim based than you’re interested in.

Possibly the Heavy Splatling Deco with the Bubble Blower instead of the Stingray? I am not sure where the Heavy falls in the meta but I thought it got decent representation at the G5. And it does a great job at ink coverage.

NNID
Boss2005
Switch Friend Code
SW-0444-5336-1909
I suggest using Dapple Dualies, they are good for up close combat and strategizing with the dodge rolls. The Dapple Dualies’ sub is a Squid Beakon and special is Suction Bomb.
You can also use the Dapple Dualies Nouveau. They are the same as the Dapple Dualies but have the Toxic Mist sub and Ink Storm as special. The range on both weapons are lower than the other Dualies, but the damage is good.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
If your aim is not good I would recommend a shorter range weapon. Besides the heavy splatling, I think pretty much all the long range weapons require aim. The heavy splatling might be fun for you, depending on what you consider "aggressive" play to be. It definitely checks all your other boxes. Its very fun but there is a learning curve. You will likely get lots of splats but also get caught with your pants down a lot before you figure it out.

You might also want to try the regular sloshers and/or tri-shosher. You can gget aggressive with both, neither require any kind of aim, and both paint pretty well too. Imo the burst bombs pair great with the tri-slosher, its really a lot of fun to hit someone with a burst bomb or 2 and then swim up to finish them off. The regular slosher has a longer range but fires slower and the shot is more narrow.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Well hi there Callie!

Dualie Squelchers seems like an ideal choice for you, decent painting, sizeable range and amazing flexibility in solo queue. Once you get beyond that range you'll run into weapons which tend to be mediocre or poor at painting.

DualBlade25

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Haser
Switch Friend Code
SW-0688-5884-4388
So, this thread might be a bit strange, but I have a question. Right now my favorite weapon is the Gold Dynamo Roller, and while I'd like to think I'm pretty okay with it, I know it's currently not the most viable weapon in the meta. So I'd like some recommendations from those who know the meta better than I do, as I'm very new to competitive.

I like an approach that somewhat mixes being aggressive and hanging back, meaning long range is a must for me. I also like to cover a lot of ground for my team to keep the map under control so that we can always push back and escape if something is going wrong. I don't have the best aim right now; I'm still learning that. Stingray and chargers are very difficult for me to use.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, or if this is somewhat weird; I didn't really know where else to put this and really wanted to know if anyone had any advice ^^;; I'm not an S rank in any mode yet, because I'm still learning, and I'd like to broaden my horizons and learn a weapon that's likely more viable than the gold dynamo is (though I will probably keep using it casually. I think it's fun).

Thank you to anyone who answers!
How about the Aerospray?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
How about the Aerospray?
That said...

Ranged combat generally requires aiming. Dualie Squelchers, Splattershot Pro (either), Jet Squelcher (either), Heavy Splatling (either), all of these provide reach while being generally viable. Honestly, I'd work more on addressing your aim than finding new weapons, so here's some tips!

First, have you ever changed your sensitivity settings? Lowering the sensitivity steadies your aim while higher sensitivity enhances reaction times. Everyone has their own preferences, but a lower setting might help you keep the reticle locked on someone.

Second, the firing range is your friend. Spend some time there doing snap shots, breaking the 5 dummies as fast as you can, repeatedly shooting the moving dummies... this sort of repetition will enhance your aim and reaction times if you keep doing it for 5 to 20 minutes at a time.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@Dessgeega has the right idea. Work on improving your aim and see what you like from there. My aim isn't what one would call immaculate or anything, but my first though upon reading your post was to recommend the Firefin Splat Charger. It has a negative stigma right now due to the game's meta favoring short to mid range weaponry, but with some practice you will find that it can cover plenty of ground and offer escape routes rather quickly! Plus the wall is great for defense and support. It should be no secret that I rather like Splash Walls though.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
After putting way more thought into this than I probably should, I suggest you consider the Dualie Squelcher, either Jet Squelcher, and either Splattershot Pro.

Each seem to check most of your preferences while being quick to learn with good rewards from improved skill, and don't heavily punish you for making (not too big) mistakes.

And as you get some adeptness with any of them, you might find yourself more comfortable with using your Dynamo and making it ”viable” for you. =)

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I agree with the Dualie Squelcher suggestions. They have the same range as the Pro/96/H3 family but they seem to take a middle ground as far as advantages and shortcomings.

The Pros are nice and accurate with a respectable rate of fire and 3 hit kill. You can keep up sustained fire if necessary but they're so ink-hungry that you'll likely not want to. They're also a travesty when it comes to painting and their run speed while firing is garbage. Swim strafe instead.

The H3 is exceptionally good at painting, 100% accurate even while jumping, and crazy efficient with its ink. It also has a TTK (time-to-kill) on par with the 52 gal, but only if you land all three bullets in a burst. -and that brings us to its faults. This weapon is a burst fire and had a very long time between bursts; if you miss your shots you're a sitting duck and it requires arguably more precision and tracking than any charger. I want to like this weapon but I'm feeling more and more that it just isnt that viable.

The .96 Gal actually paints pretty well for what it is, though its ink consumption is getting close to that of the Pro. It's a 2 hit kill and extremely slow in firing. One kit comes with ink armour and the other with splash down, so either way you have something to work with. The shots have an insane amount of RNG associated with them, so landing both shots at max range is very difficult, and even then the falloff damage might pull it down to a 3 hit kill anyway. Admittedly I'm more familiar with this weapon in the first Splatoon game.

And now we have the Dualie Squelchers. These are a 4 hit kill, so their TTK takes a bit of a hit even though their rate of fire isn't terrible. They paint rather well overall, as the bullets leave a decent trail underneath them as they travel. They also have reapectable ink efficiency to sustain fire. While firing, they're relatively mobile so you can strafe with ease, and on top of this they come with dodge rolls for evading fire. I find that when I'm being rushed, dodge rolling backwards to bring my accuracy to 100% while also spacing out my opponent works very well. On top of this rolling is not slowed down by enemy ink, so you won't need to worry about getting stuck, and the dualie squelchers have a special roll whereby you can maintain a little bit of movement after the roll stops.
The kit comes with point sensors and tenta missiles, effectively allowing you to pinpoint every enemy at all times. The missiles let you put a moving X on them for several seconds, and if it flushes them out into your hands, you can point sensor them for you and your team. They tend to play a defensive back line role, which is why I've had so much success with them. I've been toying with a set that includes run speed, swim speed, ink recovery, special charge, sub saver, and sub power up. You really do want to be focused on painting and throwing those sensors.

I apologize if this was cluttered and rambly; I'm typing this on my phone for a change. :V

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I agree with most of the suggestions made here. I don't know how much I would recommend the H-3, but I don't think it was a very serious suggestion anyway. Other than that, every suggestion here is rather spot on with what I was thinking. I personally use the Splatlings. They require a charge much like chargers do, but once the barrels are spinning and you begin to fire you get a very fast rate of fire, a nice shot range, and plenty of shots to use making imperfect aim less of a liability with this weapon. The Heavies are where I would start, but there is plenty to say about the Hydra as well. Let me know what you think if you decide to try one of these!

Dot dot dot

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5593-6410-9422
Mini Splatling @
Burst Bombs
Tenta Missiles

- Roughly the same range as Dynamo Long Flick (maybe. It kills better at its max range though). Enough that is counters the short shooters online
- Paints really really well
- 4 hit kill, but insane fire rate
- Burst bombs to chase if you miss some of your shots
- Tenta Missiles aren't any harder to use than you want them to be

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I do like me some Mini Splatling. I am not great with it, but a little practice should change that. Though I do have to admit that I am rather biased toward Splatlings in general. So this should be old news to many.

On the point of the Mini Splatling, I am rather surprised that the Zink Mini Splatling hasn't returned yet! I don't think it will be nearly as OP as it was in the first game (lack of a Bubbler will do that) but perhaps Toxic Mist and Ink Armor? Like I have predicted? Please?

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I do like me some Mini Splatling. I am not great with it, but a little practice should change that. Though I do have to admit that I am rather biased toward Splatlings in general. So this should be old news to many.

On the point of the Mini Splatling, I am rather surprised that the Zink Mini Splatling hasn't returned yet! I don't think it will be nearly as OP as it was in the first game (lack of a Bubbler will do that) but perhaps Toxic Mist and Ink Armor? Like I have predicted? Please?
Not to burst your Bubbler (hur dur), but the datamining that went on a while back revealed a much more eclectic set:
Curling Bomb and Ink Storm. Could be fun in Turf Wars or Splatfest with its capable painting abilities and stormcloud. Plus it has the curling bomb to throw out at the last second for extra unavoidable painting.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Not to burst your Bubbler (hur dur), but the datamining that went on a while back revealed a much more eclectic set:
Curling Bomb and Ink Storm. Could be fun in Turf Wars or Splatfest with its capable painting abilities and stormcloud. Plus it has the curling bomb to throw out at the last second for extra unavoidable painting.
Sorry to burst YOUR bubble, but that datamine is obsolete and no longer accurate, to the point that the person responsible for the datamine took it of their website.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Sorry to burst YOUR bubble, but that datamine is obsolete and no longer accurate, to the point that the person responsible for the datamine took it of their website.
Frankly that's good news to me; I didn't like a lot of the sets on there. Is there a more current version floating around anywhere for me to reference?

AC1

Inkster Jr.
Rapid blaster pro can hit the target with a direct (85 damage) or indirect hit (35 damage). Rapid blaster pro can ink paths (not the best turf weapon). Rapid blaster pro range is quite long (nearly match the Classic Squiffer range). Rapid blaster pro is the long range weapon that require the least amount of aim among all long range weapons. Hence Rapid blaster pro will meet your brief.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
As already mentioned, dual squelchers schould be right on your alley.
It has good range and turfing while being good at multiple ranges thanks to dodge roll and dodge fire (Don’t move after dodge rolling and fire).
Dodge rolls also helps with creating distance and get out of sticky situations.

Tenta missiles and point sensor will most likely be appriciated by your fellow teammates and helps with keeping control.
It’s not very aggrsive though but otherwise give’s you a versatile amount of options for all ranges.
I suggest to try it!

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
If you want to be able to kill and paint at the same range as Dynamo, I would recommend (like everyone has already said) Dualie Squelchers. Mini and L-3 also fall into the mid range good painting category, so I'm sure you would enjoy those.

Padre

Pro Squid
Had to think it a bit, as I was in same kind of an question maybe five months ago. I was using Squelcher main, and didnt want to give the range and passive/aggressive gameplay away. After a long search I gave Sloshers a go and loved them, and Sloshers are in the meta. So my suggestion is Slosher (even I dont use them anymore).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom