• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Got any gear ideas or plans?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Well! Information on all abilities is available to us now, so it's a good time as any to start planning our future outfits. Let's get some discussion going! Do you have any plans for gear that you're going to start working towards with Murch?

Myself, I'm picking up two mains of Quick Respawn because it's still a boon to my playstyle despite the changes, and I tap opponents from afar so often I absolutely MUST get something with Thermal Ink. Some Bomb Defense Up sounds handy as well for dodging the legion of explosives always heading my way.

Last edited:

Fluddinator

Pro Squid
Uhm... I'll try doing my best, explaining my plans.

I don't want any Stackable Skills as the mains... instead, I'll go all out for Special Skills! Having Special Skills allows me to "break" the standard rules and get to be an All-Rounder in a more special way!

Which ones I'll use? It will depend from the N-Zap I'll choose: it must be an unique set of Sub and Special in within the Shooter class, not the other weapon classes like the Dualies or the Roller.

I hope that there will be a way to change the Gear's main, so I can truly customize the Inkling character I'm using, without sacrificing my natural Play-Style. The style will be either Retro Gamer-type or Splatoon 1's Inkling Boy original design (it's coming from an old game, thus it falls into the Retro category... same for Splatoon 1's Inkling Girl original design).

As for the Sub Skills, it's gonna be 9 different Stackable Subs... I might decide to throw away certain Subs in favor of other ones, but I don't think it will ever happen.

"But the Splattershot is the All-Rounder Shooter weapon!"

It's only as such, stat-wise... you can't define a Weapon Class as the All-Rounder, since all of them possess different skills from each other! It's like comparing a Bike to a Car... each is good in its own situation, not all of them.

There is a way to still achieve some sort of an All-Round Play-Style... that's with different Skills! Skills where others do not have at all, unless they get said Special Skill. Example: everyone can Super Jump, but not all can use Thermal Ink unless they get said ability.

Thus, every single weapon could become slightly more All-Round if you add as many (and fittable) Special Skills as you can! That's why I'm ignoring the Splattershot...

... but it doesn't mean I'm right about this! If you have a different opinion, please share it! This is a discussion, where we can learn more things than before... and I'm always looking forward to improve my knowledge and Play-Style, if I do see some true potentials!

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Nothing but damage up and quick respawn of course! Oh wait! :P
Saw that a lot of my commonly used gear will be immediately available such as :head_cap006: :clothes_tes010: :shoes_shi004: so that's really great. I wanna set up builds for the Slosher first thing so gear with Firefin and Krak-On brands will be of great help.

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
I know this kind of info is scattered all over the internet, but being a splatoon noob, I understand there is gear (shirts, hats and shoes?)...and those pieces can be buffed with boons, and I see those boons, but what is it gonna be....like 3 boons per piece of gear? Also OP you said "two mains of quick respawn"...what does that mean exactly?

I will try to answer best I can until I can tinker with the boons myself. I THINK so far I want to be a roller main. I love the weapons mechanics. I love the curling bomb. I like the defensive nature of the special (I do not even know if you can mix/match weapons and subs) so I think I will want to up my speed so I can actually catch up to escaping inklings with the roller. The roller AND curling bombs use a ton of ink, so weapons using less ink is on my list too. Also, feeling like I will make a better defensive player/turf coverer, I will want defense.

Fast as style goes, from my understanding, the urchin kid can put boons on any gear, so theoretically, I can make flip flops as powerful as the best shoes? I want to wear the flop stomps! Haven't really decided on tops and headgear I like best yet.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I already have a Goo-tuber ability setup in mind >=P

I'll refrain from posting it on squidboards(until after I've tested it myself)
But if you're as interested in trying the GOOhose as I am just pm me, I'm happy to share my ideas!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215

But if you're as interested in trying the GOOhose as I am just pm me, I'm happy to share my ideas!
Why not post it? Afraid someone will steal your idea? That's gonna happen regardless :P

dylan_not_bob

Stardust Crusquider
I'm going to try using the splash-o-matic with a bomb and speed based build. Sub power up to increase the range on the toxic mist and then swim speed up to rush in for kills. maybe a little run speed for good measure and special power up depending on how it effects inkjet.

oh, and the landing roll ability so the end of the special doesn't screw me!

tanzinyagrill

Inkling
I was pleased to discover that the awesome headphones and shirt + gloves worn by the green inkling boy from the promo material have Ink Resistance Up and Thermal Ink; just what I had in mind for my Dynamo set! I'm still very indecisive about what I'll use for my Octobrush but Object Shredder looks very tempting if it works on that ever glaring Rainmaker shield.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Jet Squelch with thermal ink. I get soooo many non-kill hits with the Jet. Now the teammates can finish them off

Octobrush with stacked ink resistance, and maybe Ninja Squid depending on how they balanced it this time around

Fluddinator

Pro Squid
Uhm... I want to add another possible combination I might get... 3 Main Stackables and 9 Sub Stackables, all different from each other (12 different Stackable Skills)!

If I do that, I should probably get a Standard Weapon with it...

P-Kong

Full Squid
Out of the mutually exclusive main abilities for clothing, Thermal Ink and Haunt stand out in their usefulness.
Respawn Punisher doesn't seem to affect the time that much, but I guess I'd have to take a look at the special reduction to evaluate it.

I'm probably going to use Splatlings or other long-range weapons most often…
With a few exceptions like losing my temper after a TC losing streak and picking up a QRSJ Luna later :rolleyes:

Just like mentioned before, Thermal Ink is a must when you miss some shots, so I'll definitely consider it.
However, if I feel that my specials lack some "ooomph", I'll slap Special Power Up on.

For Headgear, I plan to use either Tenacity or Sub/Special Power Up– I'm a simple man regarding abilities, if you didn't guess that before.
I probably need some Run Speed Up as a Splatling, so I'll stack it and maybe have one RSU main if the gear is fresh enough :p

Now, I have no idea concerning shoes–
Stealth Jump is back, Drop Roller doesn't look too good for a weapon that can't counter immediately and I'm not sold on Object Shredder yet.
If Bomb Defense Up is worth it and severely decreases splash damage, I might pick that as a main because I felt that bombs have pressured me way too often.
If not, I might go Ink Resistance, another Run Speed Up or whatever Power Ups.
Stealth Jump sounds good enough for long-range weapons, though I already try jumping in a calm area when not playing as a TC Luna.
Therefore I'll need some more data and less pride to consider it, I want to fight for honor after a fresh start in Splatoon 2 ;)

Fluddinator

Pro Squid
Well, compared to others I don't really fall into any category/role... some here said to be Attackers, others attacking from the Long Range...

Is it terrible the fact I don't really have any role/category in mind?

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So here is what I have in mind for rapid fire weapons and especially weapons with burst/ autobomn I am running thermal ink (haunt/Ink resist) and mobility up that way even if I can't splat the enemy they are at visible to the team
Charger was I mentioned previously I will use respawn punisher, sub ability up, and either mobility or sub defense(dependant on charger type)
Rollers and brushes I will likely have some QR and object shredder (especially for walls and rainmaker), with ink recovery.
Blaster *footage not available*
Bucket (again don't know what to use)
Splatlings: Thermal ink with run speed, and ink resistance
Splatbrella: Ink recovery, sub defense up, ink resist, and haunt (make it a pain to splat while making the enemy vulnerable to attack
That what I got for now might change depending on what I can actually get

Ibusama

Inkster Jr.

I'm planning to use goo tuber as well!! As for the subs I thought swim speed, squid ninja would complement the long charge hold time. I'm not sure what to choose for the last slot tho, maybe respawn punisher?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'm planning to use goo tuber as well!! As for the subs I thought swim speed, squid ninja would complement the long charge hold time. I'm not sure what to choose for the last slot tho, maybe respawn punisher?
Your idea raises an interesting question - will ninja squid hide the glowing charge aura or no? Anyway, chargers have surprisingly good dps against the rainmaker shield, so Object Shredder could be handy.

Ibusama

Inkster Jr.
Your idea raises an interesting question - will ninja squid hide the glowing charge aura or no? Anyway, chargers have surprisingly good dps against the rainmaker shield, so Object Shredder could be handy.
I didn't know that the glowing aura is visible to enemies, I thought it's just an indicator for the player. If squid ninja hides it then it's a must have ability for tubers

Object shredder for chargers can be very useful in ranked indeed :)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It probably wouldn't be hidden, that'd be unbalanced beyond belief. And the visible glow is the price you pay for mobile charging.

Ibusama

Inkster Jr.
It probably wouldn't be hidden, that'd be unbalanced beyond belief. And the visible glow is the price you pay for mobile charging.
Is it only me or did they nerf chargers big time in Splatoon 2? The glowing tank thing when at full charge feels like a huge change

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom