• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Greetings Ink Strider, my name is KungFu.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
*nod nod* Though a lot of people have trouble with the either Steven (he's a kid so he acts like one) and/or the first season because it's self contained, doesn't seem to have an overall plot, or doesn't reveal everything to you all at once because screw patience, subtlety and paying attention.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
*nod nod* Though a lot of people have trouble with the either Steven (he's a kid so he acts like one) and/or the first season because it's self contained, doesn't seem to have an overall plot, or doesn't reveal everything to you all at once because screw patience, subtlety and paying attention.
That's why some of my friends stopped watching. They complained that Steven was too immature and annoying, and I was just like, so he acts like a kid? :p

KungFu

Inkster Jr.
That's why some of my friends stopped watching. They complained that Steven was too immature and annoying, and I was just like, so he acts like a kid? :p
I think I should see the show myself. But what does the show have that most other shows don't?

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
I think I should see the show myself. But what does the show have that most other shows don't?
As much as I love shows from back in my day, such as Courage the Cowardly Dog, The Grim Adventure of Billy and Mandy, Loony Tunes, etc., they are shows mainly built around humor and don't really have any important points or character development. You can watch any episode in any order and not miss much. Steven Universe is not like this. If I have to compare Steven Universe to any other cartoon that use to come on, I would compare it to Teen Titans before they ruined it but with less action and more character development. The characters feel so real and you can really relate with them. As I said in a previous post, Steven, the main character, acts exactly like a little kid would in his situation. He gets annoying sometimes, but after a certain part he realizes that life isn't a games all the time. He develops so perfectly. Also, the show does talk about a lot of serious things that you would not expect to see in a kid show. One of my favorite lines said in the show is "There's no such thing as a good war, people died." That is a line I would never expect to be in a kid show and that's just the tip of the ice berg. There's so much more that I could go on about the show, but spoilers! :p

KungFu

Inkster Jr.
Wouldn't it be just like any random cartoon instead?

KungFu

Inkster Jr.
As much as I love shows from back in my day, such as Courage the Cowardly Dog, The Grim Adventure of Billy and Mandy, Loony Tunes, etc., they are shows mainly built around humor and don't really have any important points or character development. You can watch any episode in any order and not miss much. Steven Universe is not like this. If I have to compare Steven Universe to any other cartoon that use to come on, I would compare it to Teen Titans before they ruined it but with less action and more character development. The characters feel so real and you can really relate with them. As I said in a previous post, Steven, the main character, acts exactly like a little kid would in his situation. He gets annoying sometimes, but after a certain part he realizes that life isn't a games all the time. He develops so perfectly. Also, the show does talk about a lot of serious things that you would not expect to see in a kid show. One of my favorite lines said in the show is "There's no such thing as a good war, people died." That is a line I would never expect to be in a kid show and that's just the tip of the ice berg. There's so much more that I could go on about the show, but spoilers! :p
I don't think I remember a quote from a cartoon show before. All I remember was how spontaneous and exciting the action and horror and screams were. Just like Tom and Jerry in a sense.
Though it seems that cartoons these days try to appeal to a more "thinking" crowd than what we've seen from back then. I really don't give those shows a chance cause I thought it was a dumb trend to get into, but; the more I hear about it like now, the more I'm really feeling that I should reconsider. I've never even seen a single episode from the new shows like Adventure Time or Steven Universe but there's a lot of people who are obsessed with them that I just don't even understand.

I think I should really give them a chance since I never really got into them.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
I don't think I remember a quote from a cartoon show before. All I remember was how spontaneous and exciting the action and horror and screams were. Just like Tom and Jerry in a sense.
Though it seems that cartoons these days try to appeal to a more "thinking" crowd than what we've seen from back then. I really don't give those shows a chance cause I thought it was a dumb trend to get into, but; the more I hear about it like now, the more I'm really feeling that I should reconsider. I've never even seen a single episode from the new shows like Adventure Time or Steven Universe but there's a lot of people who are obsessed with them that I just don't even understand.

I think I should really give them a chance since I never really got into them.
I can completely understand that! Sometimes you want to watch a show and just laugh. Not many of the new shows that come on nowadays can make me laugh like the old shows. I'm extremely iffy about Adventure Time, though. I like a few episodes and then I get bored of it. I guess it's okay, but not really my taste. If you do watch Steven Universe, you're gonna have to get few the first meh episodes. They're episodes introducing all the characters and they get boring after a while admittedly, but luckily they're only 15 minutes long.

KungFu

Inkster Jr.
I can completely understand that! Sometimes you want to watch a show and just laugh. Not many of the new shows that come on nowadays can make me laugh like the old shows. I'm extremely iffy about Adventure Time, though. I like a few episodes and then I get bored of it. I guess it's okay, but not really my taste. If you do watch Steven Universe, you're gonna have to get few the first meh episodes. They're episodes introducing all the characters and they get boring after a while admittedly, but luckily they're only 15 minutes long.
Speaking of new shows, what do you think about the Legend of Korra? I've barely seen the show myself and I don't really have anything to watch it with, like a certain platform or cable.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
As an Avatar the Last Airbender nerd, my enjoyment of it may be biased. It's a good show--in spite of the constant corporate meddling that makes parts of the show feel rush and leaves a lot of loose threads with characters and sidestories. Hopefully a continuation comic will flesh some of that out like they're doing with the Avatar the Last Airbender comics.

Not sure if it's on netflix, amazon prime, hulu, or nickelodeon's website still. But it's worth checking to make sure.

KungFu

Inkster Jr.
As an Avatar the Last Airbender nerd, my enjoyment of it may be biased. It's a good show--in spite of the constant corporate meddling that makes parts of the show feel rush and leaves a lot of loose threads with characters and sidestories. Hopefully a continuation comic will flesh some of that out like they're doing with the Avatar the Last Airbender comics.

Not sure if it's on netflix, amazon prime, hulu, or nickelodeon's website still. But it's worth checking to make sure.
Thanks! I've actually seen all of the episodes of Avatar when I still had cable. But I haven't heard much about Korra lately or any of it's content yet I've heard that it's good either way.
Was there really some corporate meddling involved?

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Yep. It's been awhile since I kept up with the shenanigans, but it was things like little support, little advertisement, not understanding their audience, shortening the number of episodes, giving them just a few more episodes, giving them one season, giving them another season late in the game, giving them a third season late in the game, airing the third season only online, airing season three on cable a month or so later but only on their second Nicktoons channel, and constantly moving the time slot.

One of the conspiracy theories going around is that viacom or nick were trying to make the show fail for some sort of money write off or something.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Just found this thread, good to see some fellow cartoon lovers. Though I'm amazed no one mentioned the creepiest character from Courage :D

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
Just found this thread, good to see some fellow cartoon lovers. Though I'm amazed no one mentioned the creepiest character from Courage :D
NO. JUST NO. THE NIGHTMARES! Like seriously, how did this show get away with all of this?
Speaking of new shows, what do you think about the Legend of Korra? I've barely seen the show myself and I don't really have anything to watch it with, like a certain platform or cable.
I've actually only seen the first season. It was.....okay. I heard that it gets really good toward the end. I think I saw a bit of the last season and it was fudged up!!! I was super disturbed!

Ansible

Community Ambassador
One of my great cartoon loves! It makes me feel... naugh~ty~!

NO. JUST NO. THE NIGHTMARES! Like seriously, how did this show get away with all of this?

I've actually only seen the first season. It was.....okay. I heard that it gets really good toward the end. I think I saw a bit of the last season and it was fudged up!!! I was super disturbed!
Yeah, first season I think was both corporate and the lackluster writing of the creators. Season may seem fudged up a good lot if you missed events of season two I guess?

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
One of my great cartoon loves! It makes me feel... naugh~ty~!

Yeah, first season I think was both corporate and the lackluster writing of the creators. Season may seem fudged up a good lot if you missed events of season two I guess?
I was like "What the actual heck is going?! This is creepy as fudge!". Really made me interested though! I really need to finish it....

KungFu

Inkster Jr.
Yep. It's been awhile since I kept up with the shenanigans, but it was things like little support, little advertisement, not understanding their audience, shortening the number of episodes, giving them just a few more episodes, giving them one season, giving them another season late in the game, giving them a third season late in the game, airing the third season only online, airing season three on cable a month or so later but only on their second Nicktoons channel, and constantly moving the time slot.

One of the conspiracy theories going around is that viacom or nick were trying to make the show fail for some sort of money write off or something.
That sounds extremely complicated! Did they hit themselves in the head when making this series?

...I can hear the background music right now...

...La, la-la, la-la, la la...

...kids today don't know what they've missed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom