• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Gyroscopic controls

Kotobomb

Inkling
NNID
SeraphX
Hey there squids. I have a question, you see, I hate motion controls with a passion but a friend tells me the gyroscope is better.
I always have aimed with the R stick, I'm rank A- atm, trying to learn chargers and my accuracy... sucks. So she tells me I'm struggling because I don't use the gyro. Can anyone elaborate on this? Like what are the advantages of using it?

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I'm not great at explaining the differences myself, but the overwhelming consensus is that yes, you really do want gyro controls for precise aiming. I was lucky not to have experience with right-stick aiming when I got Splatoon, so I jumped into gyro controls without inhibitions and learned the game with them. If you've already gotten used to right-stick aiming, I can only advise that you force yourself to play with gyro - perhaps start with lower sensitivity than 0 such that you don't throw yourself off with the extra axis of freedom, but try to get used to the notion of physically nudging your aim. I don't know if it's the case for others, but when I'm immersed in this game, I really start to feel as if I'm holding my weapon and it makes for the most intuitive possible control scheme.

Gyro controls allow for more subtle adjustments to aim when sniping or otherwise using a longer-ranged weapon. Two other cases in which they provide new options come to my mind. For one, using non-scoped chargers, an important higher-level technique is that of holding a charge while aiming at a wall so that your laser sight isn't visible before snapping on-target when an enemy comes into the area - that requires a precise change of angle that is large but still precise.

The other case is that of very short-ranged weapons which find themselves right in the middle of a fracas with frequency. Right-stick camera has an upper bound to its rotation speed, simply put - by physically jerking to the side with gyro camera, one is able to make much faster rotations in a close-combat situation, crucial, for example, for Carbons and Lunas.

... I made most of this post before realising that you were just starting to learn Chargers, not hitting a ceiling with them. That doesn't really change the points I make here, though. Gyro is cool! Some people say that it's a matter of taste, but I believe that there are some things that are physically impossible with right-stick camera alone.

Sea_coffin

Inkling
NNID
gcam600
A few advantages are higher precision (This game doesn't really have auto aim like most other console shooters, so the stick controls are worse), and faster turning. With sticks you have to wait a bit to turn, with gyro you can pretty much turn instantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom