• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Hacking Gear Abilities

Do you use hacks?

• Yes... :)

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • No, of course not!

Votes: 43 60.6%
  • I tried to, but I got banned

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I tried to use it, but it didn't work

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
The fact that people are hacking their gear, is bothering me a lot.

I need some disclosure from you all

How many of you have hacked your own pieces of gear gear to have certain abilities?

Be honest about this, don't even think about lying to me...

This was posted before Splatoon 2's release

Last edited:

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
As a player on a competitive team, I really wish I did. Too late I realized just how much trouble hacking my gear would've saved me, and I wish I had gotten to earlier, but now Splat 2 is already three months away, I figured that it wouldn't matter too much in the end. I'm really okay with it. Most people here are. I understand that it's something that tears the community apart, but can't we all agree to disagree here?

This is the way I think that Splatoon 2 should handle abilities:

Whenever you get a Sea-Snail or 30,000 cash, you should be able to change 1 out of 3 of the abilities on a singe piece of gear. But you cannot change the gears main ability

But you can only change one at a time, so you can't change them all at once.

Example: (You can't change the main ability) -> :ability_coldblooded:| :)ability_unknown:) -> :ability_unknown: ->:ability_unknown:

You would only change them one slot at a time

I would prefer abilities be chosen this way, because having them randomly chosen makes it IMPOSSIBLE to ever get what you want,

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Yep, I've hacked before, because virtual gambling of any kind is a complete waste of time and money. Let's not kid ourselves, that's exactly what Spyke's rerolls are. I am ever so glad for the revamped system in the sequel.

Reactions: Lyn

Nok-Zap

Inkling
NNID
nokzapper
It's unfair, but sense Splatoon 2 is right around the corner, atleast We'll have a... FRESH... start. But then again, they'd just hack in their gear again...

Fullmental

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pokeman92
Yes I have, and I'll tell you why. My time is valuable, and my practice time is doubly valuable. Every hour I spend mindlessly rerolling gear is an hour I could have spent actually playing the damn game. I consider it an insult to have to waste time like that, so I decided I would hack my gear once to get started. It's one thing to have a time investment in developing good gear, but it's another to make it a lottery. I'm fine with the former, but100% against the latter.

Luka Puka

Inkster Jr.
NNID
three3musketeers
Why is there still discussion about gear hacking besides that related to Splatoon 2?
There's nothing wrong/illegal/unfair about it; it's simply a way to save time and energy, nothing else. There shouldn't be any dispute.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This thread doesn't seem like a call to debate so much as it's just asking how many people actually do it (though we've had at least a couple of these already ^_^; ).

And, while general consensus is that gear editing is fine because of the potentially endless amount of time it can save you from wasting when rerolling the legit way, it is still technically a cheat/hack (if you try to connect to online with it running, you banne )

TLDR is the underlined parts

Last edited:

Luka Puka

Inkster Jr.
NNID
three3musketeers
Oh, whoops. Got a little inflamed over assuming he (the one who started this thread) was "targeting" me as a gear hacker.

Yeah, Nintendo will still ban you if it cares. But I've gone online multiple times sporting hacked gear and haven't had any trouble.

The *real* hacks are those that let you throw infinite burst bombs at game-destabilizing speed or a speed hack that lets you run/swim across Port Mackerel in half a second.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
There was a time I used to legit spend hours in the night and days trying to roll gear on end until the early mornings you can think of.
There used to be an underground discord where we would advance our knowledge and understanding of how to get the perfect gear, we kept going up in stages.

Eventually someone created splathax and all of our endeavours ended. There's little sense or reason not to do it (due to factors such as luck and time which many will argue for) but some are still very much against it.

Luka Puka

Inkster Jr.
NNID
three3musketeers
Oh you poor baby that sounds like torture. (no sarcasm intended)

Truly I'm grateful I started playing Splatoon after Splathax was created.

But even then I suffered from gear perfection syndrome and obsessed over Krak-On-brand gear because I never had enough swim speed subs...

Luka Puka

Inkster Jr.
NNID
three3musketeers
Oh, ha. I do see how gear hacking can still be "inflammatory" for some people, however.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Eh, ya just have to respect their opinion, and they yours (because of the aforementioned deadlock)

But hey!
The splatoon 2 gear system is looking great so far! oh please let us also change main abilities oh please

Oh, whoops. Got a little inflamed over assuming he (the one who started this thread) was "targeting" me as a gear hacker.

Yeah, Nintendo will still ban you if it cares. But I've gone online multiple times sporting hacked gear and haven't had any trouble.

The *real* hacks are those that let you throw infinite burst bombs at game-destabilizing speed or a speed hack that lets you run/swim across Port Mackerel in half a second.
Nahhh man, It's fine. I wasn't trying to target anyone, I just wanted to see how many people actually attempted to / use gear hacks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom