• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Hangsquid!

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
A classic pencil-and-paper game which translates reasonably well to a forum game. It's literally just hangman (without the drawings). Ten wrong guesses are a loss. The hangsquid should probably copy and paste their original post each time an addition is made (to give alerts, mainly, but also to keep it easy to find). Don't make two guesses in a row unless the thread is thoroughly dead, please! However, you can guess the full word at any point (because otherwise, people might refrain from guessing the second-last letter if the word will be determined by it and someone else will snipe it). Of course, be honest if you're the hangsquid and don't change your word if someone guesses it right~
The 'hangsquid' chooses a word, keeping it secret but showing the number of letters. Any other player may then guess a letter and, if it is present in the word, it is written in its placeholder; if not, it is added to the list of wrong guesses, giving an infraction point. Anyone may also guess the full word at any time; this also adds an infraction if it is wrong (marked on the list of wrong guesses as # or in any other unambiguous manner). Ten infraction points and the hangsquid wins the game; the Inkling is hanged for, like, crimes against freshness or something similar. It's really tricky actually to make the ASCII art work, so unless you feel confident drawing a hangman's tree in text, just list wrong guesses. Whoever guesses the full word or the final letter is allowed to be the next hangsquid. If the hangsquid wins, they can either choose to do another word or give the next game to someone else (perhaps just the first person to post).
I'll start with a classic favourite of mine. Not Splatoon-themed (although it is mentioned a couple of times in the script...), just so you know.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ (7)

Wrong: (0)

Update V1.1: squids for ten wrong guesses, courtesy of Anaru! Also, no consensus has yet been reached on proper nouns, so probably don't use them until it's agreed that they're nice.

1 く
2 く—
3 く二
4 くコ
5 くコ·
6 くコ:
7 くコ:ー
8 くコ:二
9 くコ:テ
10 くコ:彡

Last edited:

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I'll just not take that guess, then. Given that you seem to be the only one aware of the thread right now, though, it's pretty okay. I think I'll advertise a little...

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Advertising worked!

I guess A.

(Ten guesses?? That's a lot! I've always played with 6 or occasionally 8)

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I saw you looking at the transcript thread! I don't think it'll be that easy.

I normally play with 11 guesses, actually, as that's how many strokes I take to draw the hanged person! If we find this game to be very one-sided, we could reduce the number, sure.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ (7)

Wrong: A E (2)

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I'll guess U. It's always wise to get the vowel(s) out of the way.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
It makes sense to give the next word to the person who completes the previous one, but if that person is absent/can't think of something/just doesn't feel like it, they can give it to whomever they want.

_ _ _ _ U _ _ (7)

Wrong: A E O (3)

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
It might become recognisable soon. Remember, you're always free to guess the word if you think you have it!

_ _ S _ U _ T (7)

Wrong: A E O (3)

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
You can see from the list of wrong guesses underneath the word that I has not yet been done. So would you like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom