• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Hard data: Gear abilities percentual effects!

Yhdiste

Inkling
I have been doing a lot of extensive testing on the matter and I'm ready to present the results for majority of the abilities.
If you ask me, this ithread should be stickied somewhere.

Special Saver:
  • 1x Main = +12.5% (62.5% of your special gauge at the time of your death recovered)
  • 2x Main = +25% (75% of your special gauge at the time of your death recovered)
  • 3x Main = +37,5% (87.5% of your special gauge at the time of your death recovered)
  • 1x sub = +4.2% (54.2% of your special gauge at the time of your death recovered)
  • 2x sub = +8.4% (58.4% of your special gauge at the time of your death recovered)
  • 3x sub = +12.5% (62,5% of your special gauge at the time of your death recovered)
  • +50%
  • Amount of abilities to reach cap: 3x main + 3x sub
  • NO DIMINISHING RETURNS.
Special Charge Up:
  • 1x Main = -6.6% (amount of points needed to build a special is 168)
  • 2x Main = -13.2% (amount of points needed to build a special is 157)
  • 3x Main = -19.8 (amount of points needed to build a special is 146)
  • 1x Sub = -2.2% (amount of points needed to build a special is 176)
  • 2x Sub = -4.4% (amount of points needed to build a special is 172)
  • 3x Sub = -6.6% (amount of points needed to build a special is 168)
  • Cap: -30%
  • Amount of abilities to reach cap: 3x main + 5x sub
  • NO DIMINISHING RETURNS
Special Duration Up:
  • 1x Main = +12.5%
  • 2x Main = +25% (+12.5% stand-alone)
  • 3x Main = +37.5% (+12.5% stand-alone)
  • 1x Sub = +4.2%
  • 2x Sub = +8.4% (+4.2% stand-alone)
  • 3x Sub = +12.5% (+4.2% stand-alone)
  • Cap: +50% (assumed)
  • NO DIMINISHING RETURNS
Damage Up
  • 1x Main = +9%
  • 2x Main = +16% (+7% stand-alone)
  • 3x Main = ´+21% (+5% stand-alone)
  • 1x Sub = +4%
  • 2x Sub = +7% (+3% stand-alone)
  • 3x Sub = +9% (+2% stand-alone)
  • Cap: +30%
  • Diminishing returns: -2% for every stacked main ability.-1% for every stacked sub ability.
Defense Up
  • 1x Main = +5%
  • 2x Main = +9% (+4% stand-alone)
  • 3x Main = ´+13% (+4% stand-alone)
  • 1x Sub = +3%
  • 2x Sub = +5% (+2% stand-alone)
  • 3x Sub = +7% (+2% stand-alone)
  • Cap: +20%
  • Diminishing returns: -1% after the first main/sub ability.
Running Speed Up:
  • 1x Main = +15%
  • 2x main = +22.5% (+7.5% stand-alone)
  • 3x Main = +30% (+7.5% stand-alone)
  • 1x Sub = +7.5%
  • 2x Sub = +11.25% (+3.75% stand-alone)
  • 3x Sub = +15% (+3.75% stand-alone)
  • Cap: +50%
  • Amount of abilities to reach cap: 3x main + 5x sub
  • Diminishing returns: Effect halved after the first main/sub ability.
Swim Speed Up:
  • 1x Main = +10%
  • 2x Main = +15% (+5% stand-alone)
  • 3x Main´= +20% (+5% stand-alone)
  • 1x Sub = +5%
  • 2x Sub = +7.5% (+2.5% stand-alone)
  • 3x Sub = 10% (+2.5% stand-alone)
  • Cap: +25%
  • Amount of abilities to reach cap: 3x main + 2x sub
Ink Saver (Main):

• Skill has been taken back to testing due to inconsistencies with other abilities.
  • 1x Main = +??%
  • 2x Main = +??%
  • 3x Main = +??%
  • 1x Sub = +??%
  • 2x Sub = +??%
  • 3x Sub = +??%
  • Cap: 60%
  • Amount of abilities to reach cap:
Ink Recovery Up:
  • 1x Main = +15%
  • 2x Main = +22.5% (+7.5% stand-alone)
  • 3x Main = +30% (+7.5% stand-alone)
  • 1x Sub = +7.5%
  • 2x Sub = +11.25% (+3.75% stand-alone)
  • 3x Sub = +15% (+3.75% stand-alone)
  • Cap: +40%
Bomb Range Up:
  • 1x Main = +15%
  • 2x Main = +28.5% (+15% from default distance)
  • 3x Main = +42% (+15 from default distance)
  • 1x Sub = +5%
  • 2x Sub = +10% (+5% from default distance)
  • 3x Sub = +15% +5% from default distance)
  • Cap: +50%
  • Note: All values are calculated from your default throwing distance, which is "3.5 lines". Each main ability increases the "line amount" by 0.5 lines. Each sub ability increases the "line amount" by 0.33 lines. Max throwing distance is assumed to be 5.25 lines.

Quick Super Jump:
  • 1x Main = -10%
  • 2x Main = -20%
  • 3x Main = -30%
  • 1x Sub = -5%
  • 2x Sub = -10%
  • 3x Sub = -15%
  • Cap: -50%
  • Amount of abilities to reach cap: 3x main + 4x sub
  • NO DIMINISHING RETURNS
Stealth Jump (before 1.3 patch):
  • +5% Super Jump duration

Stealth Jump (after 1.3 patch):
  • +20% Super Jump duration

Ninja Squid (before 1.3 patch):
  • -5% Swim Speed
Ninja Squid (after 1.3 patch):
  • -10% Swim Speed

Ink Resistance Up (before 1.3 patch):
  • Movement Speed in enemy ink reduced from -87.5% to -20%
  • Damage taken while standing in enemy ink reduced to 25% (normally 50 damage over 3 seconds, with Ink Reistance Up, 25 damage over 6 seconds).
  • Jumping height and speed penalty reduced from 60% to 0%.

Ink Resistance Up (after 1.3 patch):
  • Movement Speed in enemy ink reduced from -87.5% to -50%
  • Damage taken while in standing in enemy ink reduced to 50% (normally 50 damage over 3 seconds, with Ink Resistance Up, 25 damage over 3 seconds).
  • Jumping height and speed penalty reduced from 60% to 0%.

Cold-Blooded:
  • Duration of location pointers -75%

Haunt:
  • Points the location of the enemies for 12 seconds

Opening Gambit:
  • Running Speed: +20%
  • Swim Speed: +15%

Work in Progress:

• An image where this information is presented better
  • Quick Respawn
  • Ink Saver (Sub)
  • Tenacity
  • Last-Ditch Effort

Good to know information:

• 1x Sub ability = half of 1x Main ability
  • 3x Sub abilities = 1x Main ability (for most abilities)
  • Adding sub on top of a main automatically halves the sub if the ability has diminishing returns (For example 1x Run Speed Up Main + 1x Run Speed Up Sub = +18.75% increase instead of 22.5%).
  • It doesn't matter if the sub abilities are on the same gear or spread across different gears. The boost you get is the same either way.

Last edited:

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
:o
Wow, this is fantastic, if but only IF this information is correct.

How did your testing setups look like? Do you have screenshots/tables etc. to confirm some of the values?

Yhdiste

Inkling
I do not have screenshots, but I do have the values in my notes. I wanted to keep the original post as simple as possible, so I didn't include them.

I think the best way to "prove their authenticity" is to look at Special Charge Up. Its values are listed and anyone can confirm them easily. You need 180 points to fill up the special meter without any abilities. Also, I believe there is a "Squid Science" thread, which shows videos of certain abilities. I'm sure if you compare the results, you will see that they are the same, or at the very least they will fall within the "acceptable error margin".

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Awesome work! Thank you for all the effort that went into this. . .very valuable data, especially how many points go into getting a special.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
Good job on this, I'll be watching this thread for sure to see what you find with the other abilities.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Can't wait for you finish this thread up! This is a thread waiting to be sticked.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
Great research, looking forward to see everything complete.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
The percents are so much more useful to find data, and it's nice to know the diminishing returns.

So far, Special Saver, Special Charge Up, Quick Super Jump, and Ink Saver (Main) are the best to stack. For the rest, its best to get one main or sub ability for the ones you find useful unless you really need one. (Also guessing Ink Saver (Sub) will have no diminishing returns.)

Yhdiste

Inkling
The percents are so much more useful to find data, and it's nice to know the diminishing returns.

So far, Special Saver, Special Charge Up, Quick Super Jump, and Ink Saver (Main) are the best to stack. For the rest, its best to get one main or sub ability for the ones you find useful unless you really need one. (Also guessing Ink Saver (Sub) will have no diminishing returns.)
Yeah, that's the reason I started doing these tests myself. I had seen some other players posting test results (A Simple Study, Squid Science) , but I wasn't entirely happy with them as their videos/screenshots showed the effects in practise while I was more interested in the theorycrafting.

There are at least two ways of looking what is the best:

- Does it have diminishing returns or not? (the ones you listed)
- How many abilities are needed to reach the cap? (Special Saver, Swim Speed)

Needless to say that Special Saver is the best ability in terms of effectiveness.

I have no idea how to test stuff like Last Ditch Effort or Defense Up. Even though I assumed Defense Up would be the same as Damage Up, the splatoon guide gives different cap amounts for them, which suggests that they are not the same (30% for damage up, 20% for defense up - this suggest damage up is more effective).

Tenacity is going to be very hard to test, since it needs to be done in mid-match and the amount increases based on the amount of players defeated. Ink Saver (Sub)'s and Bomb Range Up's results are kind of hard to interpret as well since all you get is a visual indication. In any case, I will do my best to provide accurate information for these abilities as well.

I hope to have enough time to performs some tests today, and tomorrow after the patch I hope to have time to test Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump.

Njok

Bouncer
This makes me wonder if it's even worth it to be wearing special charge up unless you're willing to fully stack it and sacrifice your slots for other stuff.

Let's say you have 1 main / 3 subs of it. That's only 12 points less to charge the special. If you die even once, you're probably better off wearing special saver instead. Not sure about that claim, but will edit this post once i find some time to do that calculation.

Edit: I was wrong. Unless you get splatted exactly at 167 points and you don't manage to score over 500 total, 3 subs of special charge up are more useful than 3 subs special saver. I guess if you are the unluckiest m*fer on the planet you might consider it :D

(obviously if you get splatted more the special saver will have his merits, but that's the whole point of the thing so i didn't look into that)

Last edited:

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
The only thing I'm really getting out of this is that ink saver main and special saver are much more powerful as sub abilities than mains. Waiting on Quick Respawn results to determine if I should be getting a new hat or not.

Yhdiste

Inkling
Updated information about Opening Gambit, Defense Up:

Reasoning of Defense Up:
According to the test dummies in the test area, 1x defense up is +5% defense. 2x is +9% defense. 3x is +13% defense. (+5,+4,+4 individually)
Working backwards with what we know about sub abilities in general and the cap for the ability, it is safe to assume that the sub abilities will be: 1x +3%, 2x +5%, 3x 7% (+3,+2,+2 individually).

Added information about Special Duration Up.

Added information about Bomb-Range Up.

Reasoning of Bomb-Range Up.
Default range is 3.5 lines.
1x Main ability brings it to 4 lines.
2x Main abilities bring it to 4.5 lines.
3x Main abilities bring it to 5 lines.
1x Sub ability brings it to 3.66(?) lines.
2x Sub abilities bring it to 3.83(?) lines.
3x Sub abilities bring it to 4 lines.

Last edited:

Njok

Bouncer
About opening gambit, does it increase the standard speed or your current speed (in case you're already wearing run and/or swim speed up abilities)?

Yhdiste

Inkling
Good question. I tested it without running speed/swim speed abilities. I will put that on my "to test"-list.

Yhdiste

Inkling
Based on the initial testing of Ink Saver (Sub), it seems like it is the same as Special Charge Up. This means that each main ability is +6.6% and each sub is +2.2% without diminishing returns. This would also be in-line with the Splatoon Guidebook's cap (25%) for it.

It's really hard to tell from the screenshots alone, so I think I will take a couple of more screenshots later on just to be sure.

Flips

Inkling
Hey, great thread.

I have a specific question about diminishing returns (DR), regarding Subs.
Is there a DR if you spread 3 subs across the gear? (and if you have no main ability of that kind)
1 sub Run speed (Head)
1 sub Run speed (Body)
1 sub Run speed (Shoes)
This means they are not on the same gear and maybe provide 22.5% Run speed in that case.

Ictoan

Full Squid
NNID
Krrrrg
This is quite useful. However, I don't believe that the damage statistics are completely correct. From what I've tested, I believe that damage boosts caps are different for each gun, to prevent them from splatting in any fewer hits than the default. For example, the Splattershot Pro normally splats in three hits, and no matter how many damage boosts are on it, I haven't been able to increase its damage above 49.9. I haven't done extensive testing on this myself (just with the Splattershot Pro and the Dual Squelcher), but I think I've seen it confirmed by others somewhere on the forum.

Another point, which could stand more testing, is that regardless of what percents damage and defense boosts increase/decrease damage by, it seems that equal numbers of each boost cancel each other.
For example, one damage boost on the attacker and one defense boost on the defender will cause shots to deal normal damage, while 2 damage boosts and 1 defense would cause a net gain of 1 undiminished damage boost.

As I said, this could use more extensive testing, but from what I've done so far, this seems accurate.

Thank you for all your work on this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom