• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Has anyone translated the Inkling/Octarian language(s) yet?

SalsaSavant

Full Squid
I mean, Zelda has a whole language (which is just a cypher, but...), so maybe this language is translatable too?

I'm not sure if it's a cypher or a full on conlang, and if the Inklings and Octarians have different languages/dialects.

Has anyone tried to figure out what things say? The back of the amiibo box might be a place to start...

Of course, it could very well just be gibberish.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I don't believe so, no.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Inkling/Octarian language seems to be based on the Roman alphabet, Hangul, Japanese Kana, and Chinese characters, all modified. As far as translation, don't think we'll get one unless Nintendo is generous enough to give us one.

Last edited:

Agent III

Inkling
NNID
Lili_Tekken69
There have been many attempts but none have been successful. The only way I believe we can obtain a canon translation of the Inkling/Octarian alphabet is if it came from the creators themselves. More likely than not, however, the language could more or less be gibberish and Nintendo just drew pictures that looked like letters. Maybe the Inkling language will remain one of Splatoon's greatest mysteries.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
I'm not sure someone could- or at least an average Splatoon player. Personally I hear no recognizable language when they speak, but I'm sure it's based off of something. In a way it reminds me of the minions from Despicable Me, which happen to use a mixture of English/Spanish/French? and something else I believe. We'd have to get some sort of clue from Nintendo.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
There's a thread for this in the original content forum. It's confirmed that it's all made up letters put into gibberish, thus it's not translatable, so now people are creating an unofficial Inkling language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom