1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Has anyone translated the Inkling/Octarian language(s) yet?

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by SalsaSavant, Jun 2, 2015.

1. SalsaSavant

SalsaSavant Full Squid

I mean, Zelda has a whole language (which is just a cypher, but...), so maybe this language is translatable too?

I'm not sure if it's a cypher or a full on conlang, and if the Inklings and Octarians have different languages/dialects.

Has anyone tried to figure out what things say? The back of the amiibo box might be a place to start...

Of course, it could very well just be gibberish.

2. Lyn

Lyn Squid Savior From the Future
    Premium

I don't believe so, no.

3. Ryuji

Ryuji Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Ryuji777x
    Inkling/Octarian language seems to be based on the Roman alphabet, Hangul, Japanese Kana, and Chinese characters, all modified. As far as translation, don't think we'll get one unless Nintendo is generous enough to give us one.

#3 Ryuji, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  4. SqueezedSquid

SqueezedSquid Squiddy

NNID:
    EiRRin
    It sounds like a mix of japanese and something else to me.

5. Agent III

Agent III Inkling

NNID:
    Lili_Tekken69
    There have been many attempts but none have been successful. The only way I believe we can obtain a canon translation of the Inkling/Octarian alphabet is if it came from the creators themselves. More likely than not, however, the language could more or less be gibberish and Nintendo just drew pictures that looked like letters. Maybe the Inkling language will remain one of Splatoon's greatest mysteries.

6. 1o2

1o2 Inkling Cadet

I'm not sure someone could- or at least an average Splatoon player. Personally I hear no recognizable language when they speak, but I'm sure it's based off of something. In a way it reminds me of the minions from Despicable Me, which happen to use a mixture of English/Spanish/French? and something else I believe. We'd have to get some sort of clue from Nintendo.

7. DarkGold777

DarkGold777 Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    DarkGold777
    There's a thread for this in the original content forum. It's confirmed that it's all made up letters put into gibberish, thus it's not translatable, so now people are creating an unofficial Inkling language.

Charlight likes this.