• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Has Splatoon affected (positively or negatively) your performance in other shooters?

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
I'm curious about it, considering all the unusual mechanics that are involved in Splatoon.

Personally, it surprisingly has improved my performance in Team Fortress 2. Before Splatoon I couldn't for the life of me use the Scout nor the (non-knight) Demoman; and now after coming back to it I've found out that I can pull some solid performances with both of those guys! Not amazing, but way better than the zero on the left I used to be.

I suppose it makes sense: Scout is quick, frail, and a battle with him can end really quickly for or against him, much like our squiddos here; and Demoman fires slow projectiles that fall in an arc and need some leading to hit their target, like our long-ranged Shooters.

Kowai Yume

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kowai_Yume
It's kind of a ying-yang type of thing for me. Splatoon did help me with my DM in Team Fortress 2 so I can hit shots as scout and land medic arrows. It also helped with short-term prediction in battles. As for Team Fortress helping me with Splatoon, I usually the biggest asset to my squad since I'm the one coming up with a plan and calling things out like where the enemy is and if they have special along with forming a game plan. I would like to thank my experience in comp tf2 for that.

Magnus0

Pro Squid
Why would you want to play other shooters when Splatoon exists?

Playing as a Splatterscope improved my play in Team Fortress 2 as a Sniper(still suck at aiming but it's better now). I've also learnt positioning from Splatoon, which I can utilize effectively now as a Spy. Phew! More backstabs.

Archæa

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ArchaeaNFS
Honestly, it hasn't done much. Splatoon is so different in mechanics and playstyle from many other competitive shooters (the one coming to my mind is counter strike) that my mind doesn't even draw parallels between the two. This is not to say that there aren't other similarities, but purely from a player's input point of view, I don't even subconsciously connect the two and thus it doesn't affect my performance either way.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The only other shooter I play is Black Ops 3, and only sporadically. I want to say that my experience in Splatoon has taught me to mind my range and fire from a distance in that game as well, although I can't help but think it might be the other way around.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
Playing as a Splatterscope improved my play in Team Fortress 2 as a Sniper(still suck at aiming but it's better now). I've also learnt positioning from Splatoon, which I can utilize effectively now as a Spy. Phew! More backstabs.
Hmm... I'm having trouble imagining how positioning in Splatoon connects with positioning as a Spy.

The only other shooter I play is Black Ops 3, and only sporadically. I want to say that my experience in Splatoon has taught me to mind my range and fire from a distance in that game as well, although I can't help but think it might be the other way around.
The big difference I see there is that while in your usual shooter game shooting from a distance can still help you score some hits and force people into cover, in Splatoon any shot outside of the weapon's range is outright useless, save for covering potential enemy routes.

Honestly, it hasn't done much. Splatoon is so different in mechanics and playstyle from many other competitive shooters (the one coming to my mind is counter strike) that my mind doesn't even draw parallels between the two. This is not to say that there aren't other similarities, but purely from a player's input point of view, I don't even subconsciously connect the two and thus it doesn't affect my performance either way.
Fair enough. Not many other competitive shooters that come to mind get as up close and personal with most of their battles as Splatoon does.

16bitdave

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
16bitdave
Switch Friend Code
SW-4349-8419-7001
Splatoon is the only shooter I play. When I was younger I enjoyed 007 goldeneye for N64

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
I try to do motion controls with other controllers when playing any other shooters on consoles now, and I realised how much harder it is to aim, position and track your target with sticks.
For example, I always wobble left and right before locking on to my target with sticks. I lower the sensitivity, and it's now impossible to do quick turns.
Let's just say Splatoon spoiled me there.... Hehe

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I would say no it hasn't, not recently anyway. It's so radically different from all of the shooters I've played. For example, I'm also playing Uncharted 4 at the moment. Granted, I haven't touched the online yet, but it's still a third person shooter, like Splatoon. But they are so different from each other that I can't say they affect each other.

Note that I play with twin sticks in Splatoon too, which happens to be the control scheme of most of the shooters I've played. Despite that, I haven't experienced any sort of positive, or negative effects on other shooters. For example, I like using sniper rifles in other games, but I can't use a Splatoon charger for the life of me.

Funny enough, I think my previous experience with shooters helped me excel in the game during the early days of Splatoon. I remember I dominated just about every match early on, as it was clear most other players did not play many shooters, so I had a leg up on the competition. As more time passed, the player base got much better, and my skills seemed less and less impressive. Which is fine, since it shows the community really remained committed to the game.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
In terms of other shooters, I've only ever barely stepped into Metroid Prime and TF2, both a long time before getting Splatoon, but I figure I'd have to be better at them now than I would've been before late October. Maybe not so much the controls or aiming, but just being comfortable with moving quickly in two dimensions, with only small jumps (unlike Mario), is something that could improve my performance in a lot of games that have that description - shooters, sure, but also Zelda, WRPGs and other action non-platformers.
I try to do motion controls with other controllers when playing any other shooters on consoles now, and I realised how much harder it is to aim, position and track your target with sticks.
I had a similar experience for some time after first playing Super Mario Galaxy. In all sorts of games, I kept trying to shake the controller to get a spin-jump (including handheld titles, often leading to snapping the DS' top screen back...) until I wore myself back out of that habit.

Scootch

Full Squid
NNID
Little_Dragon34
I would say that Splatoon has helped me. I am a Smash 4 player, and I think that Splatoon has helped my reaction speed and just helped me improve in gaming in general.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
The only other game that involved shooting that I play is GTA V, and auto-lock really doesn't make that much of a matter of aiming.

I can say that it didn't help me with SSB4 though. In fact it's going in the opposite direction. A little bit too much of Splatoon and it will take a while until I can fully get back to being at my best in Smash. I assume it's because I focus on spacing in Splatoon and aggressive play in Smash.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
I'd say it's done neither improve or worsen my performance. Splatoon makes you use both of your hands and primarily your thumb, index finger, and middle finger. Of course there is the gyro control as an added bonus... As opposed to PC shooters I think splatoon has overall improved my reflexes and map awareness, probably hand eye coordination? I dunno. Say I were to play games like Overwath or TF2 for example, those types of improved skills would help in that general area. That's not to say of course that those learned traits wont help me in games like CoD or Battlefield.

db132

Full Squid
Yeah, playing Splatoon has made me a lot worse at the other shooters I play which is kinda odd considering I only use the sticks

lone

Inkster Jr.
NNID
loneotaku
Switch Friend Code
SW-1901-5583-6414
A mix of both-- it's improved my hand-eye coordination a ton in other games, but when I play other shooters I almost get kind of confused or annoyed (having to remind myself that I cant turn into a squid, being mad I have to walk all the way back to where I was when I died after respawning instead of just Super Jumping and feeling like it takes FOREVER to come back)

...Playing other shooter games has made me realize how much I love the Super Jump, to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom