• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Having difficulty staying in S+.

Kowai Yume

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kowai_Yume
Hey guys, it's Yume. I have a problem. Every time I hit S+ I win 2-3 games and then everything goes south to the point I drop back to S. This happens on multiple occurrences, probably 11-12 times. It's getting old real fast. I try to play objective as much as I could but I feel others are going away from the objective for a reason. I main default splash-o-matic, N-Zap 85/89 and L-3 Nozzlenose with slosher and soda slosher as secondaries. Advice? I want to leave this plateau.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've got so much advice, it's shooting out like knowledge diarrhea!
The only solid advice I think I can give is persistence. That's how I got out of A-S and S-S+ flip-flopping.

But I'll try to give something less vague anyways (STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I am no longer S+ as I stopped giving a squit) =p
-Secure pushes (4v2,4v1,4v0) seemed to be the order of the day back in spring/early summer, and I have an inkling that this hasn't changed.
NO ONE likes to even get too close to the objective unless they are confident that it will be a secure pushquickly after taking it. Everyone and their grandma in S+ likes to predict movement (you should also do this) like its some squid-bippin' chess game, so you just have to move as fast and randomly as possible while aiming better than they do. I actually spent time in the test range for the first time since the hydra splatling release, practicing aim, when first trying to get into S+

-Abuse scoped chargers, as revenge for all those times chargers have used your posterior for target practice. Just be careful of guards that may fill the void of vision the scope-meister has.

-The "c'mon!" "to me!" signal ACTUALLY WORKS! (In all seriousness, this is truly amazing in solo ranked. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside when it succeeds)

-If you've never payed charger, definately watch some high level players doing it, there are sooo many places that I used to think were safe but in reality are just a security blanket for S rank n00bs (I'm looking at YOU triggerfish >_>). You might already have proper charger paranoia, but still, better safe than sorry!

-your weapons of choice all scream flanky panky to me, so try some-o-dat (assuming you aren't already)

-If your team is in the process of being pushed back, but you managed to splat a squid without being detected by the enemy team,
I like to employ... DA SUPRISE POOSH! (this usually only happens in TC, as the objective can be captured by any weapon solo, also ninja-sprinklers on a two zone map is *teehee*)
You'll force one of three scenarios (hopefully not the third, for the enemies' sake, but it does happen)
*One, they notice, finish splating your teammates and move in to splat you, meanwhile your minor push will force them to backpedal a bit. This hopefully will allow your respawning buds breathing room to get back into their favorite spots.
*Two, they notice you and immediately back pedal to stop you, leaving your teammates alive who can easily pinch the enemy between their ink-fire and yours
*Or three, they don't notice and you get a free push . This happens more than you might think in S+
Tunnel vision is real, heck I still do it myself.

PS
Almost forgot special weapon coordination: used either in tandem or chained (chain bubblers are as funny as Judd in a magical girl outfit)
I'll spare you more explanation on this last one. Let your imagination fly, fellow squid! =D

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
Well, I could give advice right away but I think the most important thing is to analyze what your problem is. If you rank down that much it means there is at least one aspect in the game you're not getting right. It could be in the skills part (aiming, moving,...) or in strategy/decisions part. Or both I don't know.

So the important thing is to find what your main problem is, and once you know (hopefully you don't get it wrong), you can work on it.

From what you said it seems you decided to dedicate yourself to play the objective. So, for the advice on this role...

- Don't take objective at any moment. Wait for the right time, when you have strategical advantage (at least two more squids on field, you and some mates have specials ready, the overall positioning is especially good,…).

- If the situation is neutral, be patient. The weapons you use are not of the power type. You must build your special, assist your mates, stay quite safe while not being too passive. A power-type would try to make things move. Don’t forget to look at your mates too… Because sometimes your mates are even less of a power-type than you.

- If the situation is especially bad, survive. If you can, find a spot allowing your mates to jump, possibly asking them to. If you go for a kill without dying, remember it will give away your hiding place: sometimes it’s ok, sometimes it’s the worst choice. Adapt to the situation: sometimes, exchanging with the rainmaker is all you need. Sometimes you’d better let them take the lead so that you can finally make 2-3 kills without dying (especially with a power weapon or special though).

And well, you said your mates don’t take the objective; if you specialize in it I would say that’s what you want, mates that kills while you take care of the objective.

As a final advice, let’s talk stuff. As an objective-oriented player I would definitely consider some respawn, especially in RM and TC. Obviously, excepted in some rare situations where you can play objective while being safe, you will be especially exposed. The tower moves? You’re on it. The RM moves? You’re it. Some guy is preventing them to contest the zone? You’re it again. They want to and they will kill you. So respawn does come to mind.

In RM, consider swim speed or/and run speed depending of the rotation. In all modes and depending of your special and rotation, consider special-oriented bonuses.

Finally, you can try to find videos of strong players playing with your weapons. You can find the Japanese names on wiki sites, which could help. That might give you ideas.

Kowai Yume

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kowai_Yume
Thanks guys for the advice. Turns out it was my technique for aiming. I try to pretend to drive an indycar, and turns out that was a problem since the camera goes crazy. So I try a different technique. Pretend the pad is on a pivot. Controls the camera a lot better.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
Hi, kinda late reply but if anyone else is struggling to keep S+ here's my advice: Get a capture card and watch your replays.

I recently invested in one and results wise it has been great. I haven't lost my S+ for a couple days now, whereas before it would be a very big losing streak after a few quick wins (like with thread maker) and back to S70 I went.

Yeah, some are kinda expensive, but I'm willing to pay to improve xD.

I'm still trying to achieve S+99 (been a couple months in the making now, but I haven't been able to fully commit cuz of school and work and stuff...). One day I'll get there!

SPLATNINJA

Inkling
NNID
SuperSplatNinja
If you just got to S+ I would say just try to keep a low profile and don't rush if you don't think you can make it out of their alive. Also if you are getting surrounded fast by the other team go for at least one squid instead of running away. Then hopefully your team will come at sweep the rest while their still damaged. But if your the last one on your team fall back but not to back, especially on rainmaker and tower control. But really in S+ you need at least a semi-decent team to really win.
NNID:SuperSplatNinja
Highest Rank:S+99
Commonly used weapons:Blasters, Carbon and Krak-on Rollers,

Maave

Inkling Commander
Hi, kinda late reply but if anyone else is struggling to keep S+ here's my advice: Get a capture card and watch your replays.

I recently invested in one and results wise it has been great. I haven't lost my S+ for a couple days now, whereas before it would be a very big losing streak after a few quick wins (like with thread maker) and back to S70 I went.
That reminds me, I was going to make a phone stand (cut up a macaroni box) and just record the screen with my phone. That should be good enough for learning.

NNID
benimarucollider
The best advice people should do so far is that when you manage to get your well earned S+ rank,
You stop playing ranked match. Forever.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
That reminds me, I was going to make a phone stand (cut up a macaroni box) and just record the screen with my phone. That should be good enough for learning.
Yeah it's more than good enough. I used to do that but I just got tired of setting it up, not being able to see stuff clearly sometimes, and having to stop once memory ran out (my phone's only 16 gigs :/). It's nice just to press a button and forget about it. But cost wise a propped up camera or phone is definitely superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom