• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Hello Everyone!

kaleksi

Inkling
Hello, my name is kaleksi, I'm 17 years old and I live in the United States. I've been playing video games competitively since 2010, starting with Trackmania Nations Forever and later moving on to Trackmania 2 Stadium. Around 2013-2014 I quit Trackmania to play a game called Counter Strike. After the thousands of hours I've invested I can officially say I'm burnt out and just don't enjoy playing CS as much as I do watching it. Recently, maybe about 6 months ago, is when I started taking interest in Splatoon. What appeals to me most about the game is that it relies heavily on map control and awareness, things that were present in CS, but not as detrimental to your victory. I've been following Splatoon from the sidelines for a while now, and after the announcement of the Nintendo Switch and seeing the Splatoon segment of the trailer I've finally caved and decided to buy a Wii U, which I should be receiving in a few weeks time.

During my time here I hope to dedicate a lot of my time to the progression of the competitive community, whether it be as a player, an organizer, a fan, or a content creator. I just want to see Splatoon grow in the competitive e-sports scene and I'm willing to put in the effort to help make that happen. It's such an interesting and unique game with a ton of potential to be something more, and I'm happy to now be a part of this wonderful community.

I can't wait to meet all of you!

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Hey, welcome! I hope you enjoy it here. While I'm unsure Splatoon has as big of a community as CSG/CSS/CSGO I do hope you find what you're looking for!

Nintendo really does seem to be pushing an eSports focus in the trailer for their newest console.

kaleksi

Inkling
Hey, welcome! I hope you enjoy it here. While I'm unsure Splatoon has as big of a community as CSG/CSS/CSGO I do hope you find what you're looking for!

Nintendo really does seem to be pushing an eSports focus in the trailer for their newest console.
I find smaller communities tend to be friendlier than the big ones, so it all works out.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
New to the game, huh? Welcome aboard! Enjoy the story mode, learning the motion controls, and being destroyed by elite squid samurai in turf war! :p

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Just be sure to stick with it. Motion controls feel extremely awkward for the first hour or so but get better :P I or one of the other lovely people here can provide motion control tips if needed.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Ya, It's going to be tough switching from computer mouse to motion controls :3
Motion controls are also togglable. I prefer playing with them off, but it's mostly preference.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It's worth noting that most of the top players use motion controls. It's analogous to the eternal argument that mouse and keyboard are better than a controller for shooters.

kaleksi

Inkling
It's worth noting that most of the top players use motion controls. It's analogous to the eternal argument that mouse and keyboard are better than a controller for shooters.
Ya, I suspect that I'll prefer motion controls anyways. As someone who has played PC their whole life, I don't think I could ever get used to aiming with an analog stick.

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
Ya, It's going to be tough switching from computer mouse to motion controls :3
Ya, I suspect that I'll prefer motion controls anyways. As someone who has played PC their whole life, I don't think I could ever get used to aiming with an analog stick.
I made exactly the same jump.

To help myself learn to aim I started with only using the motion controls to aim vertically, and left aiming left/right to purely the right stick. Eventually I started making very small left/right aim adjustments with the motion controls, to full on motion aiming after a little while.

At this point, I'm more proficient at using the motion controls than I am with a mouse. (And probably right on par with my trackball.)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Since Ikaheishi opened the floodgates, I'm going to share (read: copy-paste) some advice I gave someone else a while back, yaaaaaaaaaay!

- First off, put sensitivity to 0 if you haven't. You can futz with it later, but when you're learning the default is probably best.
- Hold the gamepad horizontally, in your lap. Yes, this means hitting Y to re-orient the camera every single time you boot the game, but people tend to find this more comfortable it seems.
- turn the gamepad like a steering wheel that you happen to be holding at the sides. With the gamepad in your lap even slight arm rotation will produce big movement, so you can be very precise. You can also whip around by arm flailing and hitting Y, or in less stressful moments just holding the right stick until the camera catches up with you.
- play the story mode again. That's what it's there for, haha, romping through a few battles with octarians will definitely help you adjust without dealing with other players.
- use the firing range. It's a surprisingly good place to practice wild maneuvers if you give yourself little challenges. Try doing 180 turns and firing at the dummies, or leaping off the ramp to shoot them mid-air!

kaleksi

Inkling
Since Ikaheishi opened the floodgates, I'm going to share (read: copy-paste) some advice I gave someone else a while back, yaaaaaaaaaay!

- First off, put sensitivity to 0 if you haven't. You can futz with it later, but when you're learning the default is probably best.
- Hold the gamepad horizontally, in your lap. Yes, this means hitting Y to re-orient the camera every single time you boot the game, but people tend to find this more comfortable it seems.
- turn the gamepad like a steering wheel that you happen to be holding at the sides. With the gamepad in your lap even slight arm rotation will produce big movement, so you can be very precise. You can also whip around by arm flailing and hitting Y, or in less stressful moments just holding the right stick until the camera catches up with you.
- play the story mode again. That's what it's there for, haha, romping through a few battles with octarians will definitely help you adjust without dealing with other players.
- use the firing range. It's a surprisingly good place to practice wild maneuvers if you give yourself little challenges. Try doing 180 turns and firing at the dummies, or leaping off the ramp to shoot them mid-air!
Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it! I'll be sure to do a lot of practice since the controls are so new to me!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Glad to help! If you need to know anything else, you're certainly in the right place. I look forward to seeing what kind of player you turn into ;)

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
play the story mode again. That's what it's there for, haha, romping through a few battles with octarians will definitely help you adjust without dealing with other players.
This is a really good point. And something I forgot to mention. :oops:

I played all the way through the story before I went into multiplayer. It's an excellent way to help better your aim.

kaleksi

Inkling
This is a really good point. And something I forgot to mention. :oops:

I played all the way through the story before I went into multiplayer. It's an excellent way to help better your aim.
I've also heard that the story mode is quite fun, so I should have no issue playing through it a couple times if necessary :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom