• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

hello! o/

kittypuppet

Inkling
NNID
kittypuppet
Hey there!

I'm pretty new to the whole gaming thing here - usually I'm sitting back watching my BF play whatever game he feels like playing(or watching gamers on twitch/youtube), but I liked Splatoon so much I decided to pick up the console and give it a go myself. I suck at the game quite a bit, but eh, pretty typical for a newbie (I'd assume).

Anyways - hello hello and feel free to offer any tips on playing (controls especially.. not used to the way these controls are eugh).

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Play the single-player mode to get a hang for the controls. Have the motion controls on.

Very good for you for buying a Wii U apparently just for Splatoon. That's awesome!

kittypuppet

Inkling
NNID
kittypuppet
Hahahahah yeah, we bought the wiiu/splatoon combo pack

I've started out in motion controls, though I heard that if I turn the sensitivity up way high it'll be easier later on or something like that. I've also probably gone through the first couple levels in single player a few dozen times already to get the hang of things (sort of). BF says I'm not doing too horribly in turf wars, so I guess that's a good thing xD

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Hahahahah yeah, we bought the wiiu/splatoon combo pack

I've started out in motion controls, though I heard that if I turn the sensitivity up way high it'll be easier later on or something like that. I've also probably gone through the first couple levels in single player a few dozen times already to get the hang of things (sort of). BF says I'm not doing too horribly in turf wars, so I guess that's a good thing xD
A few dozen times?! Woah, that's... a lot.
Why not play past the first couple of levels then? :p

Motion controls are better with the sensitivity up, yeah. I have mine up to +2.

Certain weapons are easier to use than others, as I'm sure you can figure out naturally. ^_^

Do you have anything specific with regards to issues?

ChezB

Inkling
I've started out in motion controls, though I heard that if I turn the sensitivity up way high it'll be easier later on or something like that.
Personally I would not recommend that. It can get difficult to accurately aim when each little flinch counts as movement. You should start off with the default settings and then tinker with the system to suit your preferences.

kittypuppet

Inkling
NNID
kittypuppet
A few dozen times?! Woah, that's... a lot.
Why not play past the first couple of levels then? :p

Motion controls are better with the sensitivity up, yeah. I have mine up to +2.

Certain weapons are easier to use than others, as I'm sure you can figure out naturally. ^_^

Do you have anything specific with regards to issues?
Yeah I just set it to whatever's comfortable for me.
I would do the singleplayer campaign but I'm not skilled enough to do it all lmao. As for weapons well, the only thing that fits my play style right now is the splattershot. I have problems strafing and jumping (controls thing, still rushing through singleplayer to figure it out a bit) so a lot of the time I'll just stand there and shoot. (Which is great in a way because nobody really expects that so I tend to nab a few people every round that way lmao qq)

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Yeah I just set it to whatever's comfortable for me.
I would do the singleplayer campaign but I'm not skilled enough to do it all lmao. As for weapons well, the only thing that fits my play style right now is the splattershot. I have problems strafing and jumping (controls thing, still rushing through singleplayer to figure it out a bit) so a lot of the time I'll just stand there and shoot. (Which is great in a way because nobody really expects that so I tend to nab a few people every round that way lmao qq)
You can't press more than one button at a time?

kittypuppet

Inkling
NNID
kittypuppet
You can't press more than one button at a time?
Yes and no? I mean, I can, but there's a mental pause that follows it so I end up not paying attention to the game. I've never played consoles before till now, so I'm not really used to the button placement if that makes sense.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Yes and no? I mean, I can, but there's a mental pause that follows it so I end up not paying attention to the game. I've never played consoles before till now, so I'm not really used to the button placement if that makes sense.
Hm, I'm not sure how to go about gettin' you well-trained into doing something that occurred to me pretty naturally all the way back to Super Mario Bros.. (Hold down run button and jump button to jump farther!)

Do you have to look at the controller when you play?

kittypuppet

Inkling
NNID
kittypuppet
Hm, I'm not sure how to go about gettin' you well-trained into doing something that occurred to me pretty naturally all the way back to Super Mario Bros.. (Hold down run button and jump button to jump farther!)

Do you have to look at the controller when you play?
Nah, I think part of it is just getting accustomed to using the buttons while playing. The BF is helping me learn controls, so I don't think it'll take too long to get used to.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Howdy-ho! Welcome to Squidboards. I myself recommend the Single Player to understand the game's mechanics.
Online will get rough quickly once you get past Level 5. I forgot to mention clearing Single Player rewards you with stuff you can't get anywhere else, but they're nothing special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom