• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Help with chargers?

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
So recently I've been trying to get better with chargers, because before now I've only used them a few times and have sucked with them. I've tried all of them except for the E-liter so far, I'm definitely not ready for that thing. So far I've been decent with them, but not amazing. My main problem is that I have trouble predicting all the enemy's movements and even if I can, I usually miss all my shots. Storing my charge is useful, but I don't think I'm really using it correctly. So far my favorite Charger is the Bamboozler, mostly because it favors more close range, faster fighting, which is how I usually play. I want to get good with all the chargers though. Anyone have some tips?

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
You're doing yourself a disservice by using a charger.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I'm gonna be honest, I have no idea what the word meta means. I've just heard other people say it and assumed what it meant
The easiest way to remember the meaning is "Most Effective Tactic Available", and while it can have multiple meanings, when speaking of meta in a Splatoon sense it's the most effective tactics, weapons and builds in terms of effectiveness, win-rate, et cetera. In other words, it's a way of saying "the current state of things". Meta describes which weapons / combinations (and gear builds) of such in a squad (and strategies) have proved most viable to achieve a win. Certain weapons, like the Splattershot, are considered a constant part of the Splatoon "meta" because they're powerful and can fill multiple roles, whereas other weapons are less favored in the "meta" because they're easily countered and little maps favor them.

So taking the charger for example, little maps cater to them specifically, quite a few maps give them little excellent angles and positions to work with and due to the openness of most maps, they don't have any designated perches where they can safely snipe from anymore and with the current state of lots of short-mid range shooters being able to flank them with ease and chargers having little to defend themselves when someone enters close-combat range, they're not considered as "safe" to pick as weapons who fare better in multiple scenarios and don't die whenever someone flanks them. Personally, I think the Splat Charger series (arguably Squiffer and Bambi) can have a place in the meta since they have good kits to work with. Not on all maps though and they need a proper team to work their magic and to add to the misery, they need to be way more mobile than they used to in Splatoon 1. (If you used to be a mobile turfy sniper back in S1, that change won't kick you as hard as others) The E-Liter is in a terrible place right now compared to his cousins though, so unless you really know what you're doing, you should opt for the lighter options instead.

Again, I'm not going to tell you what to do with that information. If you want to master the Charger, more power to you. Just wanted to warn you that it's a tad harder to pull through right now, especially if you're mostly playing Solo. It's perfectly doable, the Charger is still a pretty good weapon, but you need to put in much more work to be as efficient as other weapons that are considered meta right now, so it's up to you if you want to put in the extra work. The threads I linked you give you excellent advice on where to improve on, if you're still in the dark on some things after reading them you can ask anytime, though.

Coleo&Idea

Inkling Cadet
Chargers are definitely not an easy weapon type. You have to like the playstyle that comes with them and put many hours into them.

This video is based on the chargers from Splatoon (WiiU) but you can still learn good stuff for Splatoon 2 (except the damage up ability doesnt exist in Splatoon 2 and hold-charge wasn't there in Splatoon 1).

Other Youtubers you can watch and learn from
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThatSrb2DUDE/featured
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDPvdmyCgPt-wLIb7mlT-ow/featured
https://www.youtube.com/user/thundershock1234/featured
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-fvspIMqI8FEowjvwDZJQ/featured

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Speaking from personal experience, the best (and probably the easiest to learn) are the regular unscoped chargers. The regular charger is the only one having a melee option of some sort and has the ever-useful Stingray, while Firefin can zone people out with it's suction rush.
E4K is both harder to use and have much less prominence in the meta than the regular chargers, so only use those weapons if you really want to play as them.

Do be careful taking them in Solo Queue, as chargers are very sensitive in bad team comps as compared to splattershot. It needs a couple frontliners to cover and ink ground for it so it can snipe safely, if you don't have those you'll have a much harder time fighting and covering for the rest of your team.

Gekko

Inkster Jr.
- Tracking instead of predicting could help.
- Remember to hide your laser.
- At least at first avoid doing big movement while aiming - instead move your aim steadily over target, snapping comes later.
- Try all the different sensitivities to find the one that fits you the best. I recommend doing it at test range, go -/+0.5 steps until you've gone through the whole scale. When you can systematically hit the dummies, you've probably found your setting. It still lives after that but it is a good point to start with.

I've played charger since Splatoon 1 and while I'm playing few other weapons too, chargers are the ones I have the most fun with. It is unbelievable what you can do with them in Splatoon 2 using held charge. Just so much fun and totally worth it.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I used to be a charger main, but then the blaster called my name. (I'm sorry)

Best tip I that probably helped me the most, would probably be learning how to right side peek. It's an incredibly helpful technique for not just snipers, but shooters, blasters, and splatlings as well. It's a technique that is greatly appreciated in any sniper 1v1, and it will help you out engaging enemies up close.

Must be a really hard technique then? No.

It's just how every inkling holds their weapon, in their right hand. So knowing this, we can make inklings peek out only the right most portion of their bodies, revealing just the weapon, to make your player relatively invulnerable from the front.

Notice how the inkling peeking left exposed their body to the enemy player, allowing for an easy kill for the splattershot pro user.
On the right peek side of the diagram, the inkling only exposes her kelp splatterscope, allowing her to still get the shot off, but since she's covered by the wall, the splattershot pro needs to do some parkour in order to get that same kill.

I know it's a bit of an old video, but the tip still holds true to this day. And it's pretty helpful if you want to see it used in action.

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
I'm gonna be honest, I have no idea what the word meta means. I've just heard other people say it and assumed what it meant
The meta is the overall environment of the game. It changes as weapons are buffed/nerfed, or when people develop new techniques.

Here's the unfun reality of chargers. They require dedication. The have a high skill floor and got a bunch of subtle (but necessary) nerfs in between Splatoon 1 and 2. There's no One Weird Trick to getting good with them beyond practice. Practice both in combat and in whatever training exercises you can hang with in Sheldon's danger room. The new record feature is a valuable tool as well. Record your hits and misses, and review them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom