• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

How can I help my friend?

Pierre

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Funfair
My friend plays splatoon but isn't too invested in it (yet). I can tell they want to get better but I don't know what advice to give them. They are in C- rank and only play splatlings, especially the heavy deco. I've told them to try other weapons and practice with them, but they say they just don't work.

I want to help then get better, so how could I do so? I was thinking about having a pb with them and possibly giving them advice. Or should I just satay out of their business and let them do their own thing?

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
If they don't take your word for granted, and stay in a rather obtuse comfort pattern, then yes, leave them be. Their frustration would be their downfall.

But otherwise, what they do wrong in the game? Are they too aggressive that it results them getting splatted multiple times, or what?

Pierre

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Funfair
I just find they aren't very aggressive. I'm not in a good position to say everyone should be super aggressive, I'm just trying to say that being so just a little bit could help. I did some 1v1s with them and saw this. We did splat zones using the same weapon and while I was down securing the splat zones, they were still in their base.

We did a pb turf war and I was able to sneak up on them without them knowing, even tho they were looking in my direction. While they were standing there waiting for me to pop out (they were waiting because I hinted I was there), I used an ink strike behind a crate and slatted them. I don't think they are very aware of the surroundings because of this.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I just find they aren't very aggressive. I'm not in a good position to say everyone should be super aggressive, I'm just trying to say that being so just a little bit could help. I did some 1v1s with them and saw this. We did splat zones using the same weapon and while I was down securing the splat zones, they were still in their base.

We did a pb turf war and I was able to sneak up on them without them knowing, even tho they were looking in my direction. While they were standing there waiting for me to pop out (they were waiting because I hinted I was there), I used an ink strike behind a crate and slatted them. I don't think they are very aware of the surroundings because of this.
Ahhh, kinda idling and not pushing, huh? That isn't good with a heavy weapon either, you are bond to move and act as a support unit with a heavy splatling. Did they even bother doing single player? That should kinda push them to use different weapons, and coax them into how to use tactics around the turf.

They also probably need to try recon, and the try out room, if they haven't. Because not knowing the map is going to encumber them later, and that should be a hint towards them.

I will be honest, I am not a splatling user, but I am a brush, slosh, and roller. With the way they are acting, they will end up being pulverized and end up ragequiting, no offense. (And I know you are trying to chime this in too.) But yeah, get them to play single player, they really need to learn how the game works. The only thing is that splatling doesn't come till much later in it, but at least they can get a work out of a regular shooter, and some other weapons. Because they are going to get BORED.

Pierre

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Funfair
I don't think they even did single player tbh. I asked what gear they had and they don't even have the single player gear. Also I'm talking about splatoon 1, so there is no splatling to try out there.

I was talking to them and they said they were a casual player so I don't know if they'd be motivated to even try. Hopefully they get the switch and turn more serious so that I could have a irl friend that's also very into splatoon.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I don't think they even did single player tbh. I asked what gear they had and they don't even have the single player gear. Also I'm talking about splatoon 1, so there is no splatling to try out there.

I was talking to them and they said they were a casual player so I don't know if they'd be motivated to even try. Hopefully they get the switch and turn more serious so that I could have a irl friend that's also very into splatoon.
Ugh, that is kinda hard to be casual, and not physically involve into such game since it is Splatoon 1. It doesn't have other available options to play, so that makes the game somewhat worthless. Even then, then splatling isn't really meant for causal play, which I do not understand their motives with that. (Trying not to be salty, but they shouldn't expect the bread and butter to be handed to a game with now advance people playing in the turf.)

The only problem with the switch version, they might rely on weapons that are OP. It is a major set back, and handicaps a lot of newbies. So they might grab an aerospray and expect it for them to win all the time, that is the downfall of it. Plus the chargers have been nerfed, and so many other weapons.

Yeah, this is gonna be a bit difficult, honestly. Some people aren't just gamers, but I give props for trying to train them. So hopefully they might change their minds.

Pierre

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Funfair
Yeah, I think their reason for loving the splatlings is for holding a charge? I don't quite understand why but to each their own. I could always try to tell them to avoid overly using an OP weapon, or take a weapon like aerosprays into ranked. Hopefully they understand.

Also, it's very frustrating when none of your close friends are actually serious into gaming. Not trying to brag or anything, but we played mario kart 8 together and I won 1st almost all of them (I believe we only had shells and were only racing each other, so there's that). I did have some practice, but I only have 8 deluxe, meanwhile my friend has had 8 on the wii u for like a year.

It makes me die inside :^(

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I feel for you. I don't find many people are much into gaming as I am, and was picked on for it. Then when they played against me, I got told I was a cheater, or just acted completely miffed. So I am in the same boat as you, buddy.

Pierre

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Funfair
I'm sorry to hear that man. That sounds even worse than my situation, I hope you find people more akin to what you do.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I live in a retiree area, so it is kinda hard. Plus most people don't do gaming, unless you go a more populated area, which is a long ways away. but again, hope you are able to settle stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom