• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

How can I reduce my salt levels?

D

Deleted member

When I play Splatoon, I get salty sometimes. Usually, it is when I get splatted. Does anyone else have this problem? If you do, how do you cope with it?

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
The only thing you can really do if you're salty is take a break and come back later. Last time I checked, salty squids don't do as well as they would if they weren't salty (and you'll most likely get even saltier if you keep playing). And I completely understand if you're salty from getting splatted, especially if it's the same person splatting you over and over again. In a situation like that, I recommend trying to charge your special (if it's somewhat close to being fully charged) and/or trying to take out that squid from a different angle. Otherwise they're just going to keep splatting you since they're expecting you to come from a certain part of the map.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
My advice is to just try to keep perspective and remember it's a game. Easier said than done probably, but hey. I used to get salty when I lost ranked matches, but I must have lost hundreds by now and it doesn't suck anywhere near as much as it used to. If you keep playing you'll get better and won't get splatted so much. When you do, ask yourself WHY you died. What were you doing that lead to you getting splatted? That way instead of getting mad you can focus on improving so it doesn't happen next time.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
If you get salty after you get shot, it's probably because inklings are using illegal weapons against you. Recently, some inklings have been seen illegally modifying weapons and mixing the ink with salt. It doesn't give them much of an advantage, but it'll melt any sea snails you are carrying with you at the time, making you really angry and covered with salt. But, more importantly, the areas the snails crawl around on are covered in salty ink, caused the snails to disintegrate, and become an endangered species. As always, the completely incompetent Inkopolis Police have been working their hardest to do absolutely nothing to solve this problem. However, Callie and Marie hired the "Sea Snail Savior" Squad to take care of these lawbreakers, and they've been quite effective at doing so. Because of this, many "Saltlings" have been caught, and Sea Snails have moved off the endangered species list. Now that they are no longer endangered, Judd is now permitted to give them out during normal play, instead of during Splatfests, and the Squid Sisters are using some of they're extra money to reward legal Inklings with more money when winning a Turf War.

CK3

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Icarus3
You can go into an "i dont give a #ffffff" mode and start making up games for yourself to take it less seriously.
Like follow one of your team mates around and just stare at them or help them.
Try to start squid parties.
Get a sniper but try to use it to claim turf rather than ... sniping.
try to be sneaky and never be seen like hide and seek.
or when I get frustrated and our team ends up cornered and splatted one after another I just give up and start jumping over the edge. Re-spawn as many times as I can and see how many deaths i can get before the timer runs out.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
My rule of thumb is to stop after three losses in a row. Getting angry only makes you play worse, so knowing when to stop is important.

GokuJunior

Inkling
NNID
gokujunior5
When I play Splatoon, I get salty sometimes. Usually, it is when I get splatted. Does anyone else have this problem? If you do, how do you cope with it?
Hm... well... I don't get salty if I lose battles (even if they are for upranking), however in the past with another games I was a salty person.
The "trick" I found to this is trying to think that other people are CPUs, and you are playing against the console, if I lose because I'm not playing well I don't care, but I rage a lot when my connection starts to lag.
For now, I like when I get splatted because I learn new ways to avoid it, sometimes is because I made stupid mistakes, but another are strategies that just doesn't work.

Anyway, what i mean is you can try to look the situation with a different angle and that may work (At least, every time I die as I said is useful to me to become stronger).

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
Sleep.

I don't know about you, but most of the time when I get salty, I'm unusually irritated by things that normally wouldn't get to me (a.k.a. my little brother). Whenever this happens it usually means I'm just sleep deprived or needing some rest to just relax and clear my head. After it I find myself more awake, in a better mindset to play, and probably not playing as poorly as before, which is the main reason for my salt.

I also am a runner so if I really can't see myself going to bed, I'll go outside and take a jog. It helps get rid of all the nerves and tension you might have from being on a couch for so long, and also gives you an output for your anger. It's nice to take a break from the TV and go out to see the scenery, distract yourself, and just let it all out.

Unfortunately, getting rid of salt takes time. There isn't a quick fix to get you back to a better mental state, and sometimes I'll have to sacrifice an hour of playing just to make sure I don't go on tilt and lose a rank. Sometimes I won't even play for the rest of the night. Obviously everyone needs more time in their lives, but if you take the time and get the salt out, it'll be worth it in the end.

I hope this was helpful. ;p

peat-warrior

Banned (6 points)
Hm... well... I don't get salty if I lose battles (even if they are for upranking), however in the past with another games I was a salty person.
The "trick" I found to this is trying to think that other people are CPUs, and you are playing against the console, if I lose because I'm not playing well I don't care, but I rage a lot when my connection starts to lag.
For now, I like when I get splatted because I learn new ways to avoid it, sometimes is because I made stupid mistakes, but another are strategies that just doesn't work.

Anyway, what i mean is you can try to look the situation with a different angle and that may work (At least, every time I die as I said is useful to me to become stronger).
That is a pretty interesting thought, to imagine, that the other players are CPUs. But at the same time I think, it would make it less satisfying when ever you splat an enemy. Well, the human psyche is a weird thing. :D

John W

Inkster Jr.
Content Team
NNID
RetruateStudios
Often what helps is thinking about why you are getting salty. If it's because you fear you might lose your rank or something, just remember that it's the natural process of ranking up and getting better, and if you deserve a certain rank, you'll have the ability to get it back with enough time. If that doesn't help, then I can just take a break. If I am getting salty because my reputation is in the game (like a Private Battle), just remember that your team is depending on you and force yourself to keep your head in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom