1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Splatoon 2 has released around the globe!

Join the Splatoon 2 hype and discussion!

How did everyone enjoy the splat fest???

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by OogieBoogie, Jul 15, 2017.

1. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie Pro Squid

NNID:
    MrOogieBoogie
    Title. I loved it! Could only play for 2 of the hours, but still had a blast and made it to ice cream champion I believe. My only wish is that all the weapons would have been available considering how close launch is. I did NOT enjoy the roller like I thought I would, and I hate sniping of any sort, so I found myself using hte splatter gun and dualies the whole time. Wish I could have tried the Slosher and Splatling (thats the heavy machine gun type right?)

Other than the lack of weapons to try, I loved the stage lay outs. They all felt unique and in every one, I found kind of my area I could lock down effectively and defend with minimal failure. Having not participated in a splat fest before, the crazy party style square was really neat too XD I look forward to the full games release in a few days!

2. HellfireX14V

HellfireX14V Inkling

NNID:
    GregArashi
    I was so freaking close to becoming an Ice Cream Queen but I was a few points away. Otherwise, it's was fun. Too bad I couldn't play it with my friend as a team. I guess you need more than 2 squids to enter together.

3. Green Waffles

Green Waffles Inkling Fleet Admiral

Giving as short a summary as I can give

I've done a near 180 in my opinion of Roller vertical flick
    sure, it is still normalizing the roller class a little bit, but the added inking options for creating avenues of escape when you're setting up to shark a risky area is a blessing, letting you ink long paths and UP WALLS. It is definately a nerf to jump flicks, but worth it for this new mobility through inkage.

4. Dessgeega

Dessgeega Squid Savior From the Future
    Premium

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    I went from neutral to love when it comes to the Inkjet. In turf and splat zones it has surprising painting capability. I'm definitely gonna have to toy with that!

I gotta squad for the next splatfest too, that was a blast and if we get more foes on our level next time we'll have some battles to remember :D

#4 Dessgeega, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  5. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie Pro Squid

NNID:
    MrOogieBoogie
    Yeah the Inkjet is pretty legit. I liked the tenta missles myself, but they are FAR more worth it when you can target 3 or all 4 at once. You saturate their area with your paint, even if you don't kill any of em ^_^

ThatBerkawitzSquid and Dessgeega like this.
  6. Green Waffles

Green Waffles Inkling Fleet Admiral

OH! and I can't forget, I had a couple squid parties with some random opponents

just regular, by-the-book gameplay =]
    sniping squids trying to flank via the snipe inkrail
    another great splatoon feeling

OogieBoogie likes this.
  7. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie Pro Squid

NNID:
    MrOogieBoogie
    Yeah, I am kind of noob, but chargers are crap for turf coverage..they are much better used with an assassination style of play. A player killing weapon to keep their numbers thinned while your team turf covers away.

8. Cyrus Dark

Cyrus Dark Full Squid
    Premium

NNID:
    Geprodis
    I had a lot of fun. I used a roller the whole time. I am digging the added power of the vertical chop, but I still need to get the hang of it. I never used my sub weapon - I was just so caught up in the excitement I forgot about it. The special weapon, the Splatdown, is decent, and when you get in a flow state it seems natural to get to the highest point and smash down on everyone. I think it is supposed to do more damage the higher up you jump from, but I don't know how much more.

Man, those other special weapons I saw, like the Jet Pack..I was super jelly of that!

I found the Moray Tower stage to be the least fun. The first 2 stages were the most fun for me.

I was having so much fun, and even when I died I was just grooving to the music waiting for a respawn.

I thought anything different than the music from the Splatoon 1 Splatfest would not be satisfying, but I like the new song!

"I'm so pretty. Your mama told me."

Those are the only words I remember :)

9. Spraylan

Spraylan Pro Squid

NNID:
    JonasOrtega
    Veteran Sploot 1 charger here. The weapon is good at inking, it just isn't intuitive as other weapons.

10. Hero of Lime

Hero of Lime Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Link643
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5339-5185-8796.
    Had a blast with it! Similar enough to the first game where I feel at home within minutes, but it feels even more polished, and smoother. Some of the maneuvers I was able to do with the Pro Controller proved to me that the gyro in this game is a step up from the first game. The games looks great, plays well, everything I could want from a sequel to a multiplayer focused game.

It was very cool to see the game in a state where a lot of people are learning how to play again. I gave me some strong nostalgia to the launch of the first game. For so long now I've played the first game knowing that all my opponents are likely very good at the game, which provides a super fun challenge, but it also makes a very serious atmosphere, whereas I could just chill out and play around with new players. I made sure to hold myself back a lot as to not bully new players (though I would ALWAYS punish people jumping into the middle of battle because they need to learn you can't jump in all willy nilly.) though sometimes I could not help go in and wreak havoc on the enemy teams.

Since I played on my main account in the US and a fake EU one, I got to play probably a good 4 and a half to 5 hours of the game today. It certainly helped whet my appetite for the main game a little, even if I still am beyond hyped for it even more after playing today.

11. Gameboy224

Gameboy224 Pro Squid

NNID:
    Gameboy224
    What exactly do the two separated win scores mean?

Win is divided into two categories, Solo and Team. How are the two distinguished? Turf War isn't exactly a solo game.

Either way, in the solo category, Ice Cream won by a 2% margin, in the team category Cake won by a 6% margin.

12. OmegaDivider

OmegaDivider Squid Sisters Fanboy

NNID:
    OmegaDivider
    Believe it means solo queuing and team queuing.

As for the splatfest, I had fun, though I wasn't too excited with the weapons. I would have preferred the Jr. to the Dualies, at least. Doesn't matter too much though, only a few more days anyway.

Green Waffles likes this.
  13. Gameboy224

Gameboy224 Pro Squid

NNID:
    Gameboy224
    Oh yah, forgot they had added separate queues to Splatfest. Don't have the game or Switch yet.

14. mercenariez

mercenariez Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    gamelo8018
    Kinda upset I didn't break the 2K barrier but whatevs. Stopped at 1973 and lost when our 1950 average team faced a 2100 >______>. Had to take turns on the switch with my younger brother so I couldn't really focus my hardest anyway.

This was my first time playing Splatoon 2. Sensitivity was quite different than Splatoon 1 on default, had to raise it up a bit.

Still felt like Tentatek was the best weapon for these maps and modes.

Charger with no scope is too hard for me so I didn't really use it much.

Maps didn't seem very good for roller so I didn't use roller too much.

Dualies are OK. Roll is somewhat situational. You can roll mid air to move quickly downward which is kinda cool.
    Seems to paint a little less than Tentatek and seems a little weaker too though.

Tenta Missles seem like the best special to me ATM (does Tentatek do everything the best???). InkJet is OK, however, I killed so so many people who were either in the middle of inkjet or were landing at their beacon (beacon camping).

Stingray is still meh imo, splatdown or splashdown or w/e is UNDERESTIMATED. It's not too powerful or kill focused but it gets you out of crunches well, is good for baiting, and paints nicely. Plus, I noticed there's some invincibility frames at the end of it (I threw a bomb and it exploded right when he landed with splatdown and it didn't do ANY DAMAGE).

Egg Queen and OogieBoogie like this.
  15. ZEROrevive

ZEROrevive Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    ZEROrevive
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0412-8620-8627
    Overall I had alot of fun this splatfest.

Personal thoughts:

• New Moray Towers is great. I especially like how the ramps and slopes were widened up a bit. Ink Rails were also very interesting, although I only used them a few times.
    • New roller vertical flick is absolutely amazing. Got me alot of nice splats from a distance! I cant wait to see it on Gold Dynamo and Carbon!
    • Some of the new maps with their easy spawn camping/pin down points could be fixed a bit.
    • The Art academy was my favorite out of the maps aside from the revised moray towers.
    • Im suprised overall how 2 of the 3 new maps felt..small? Maybe due to their layouts. At the same time though, it felt refreshing!
    • I love the new animations for the inklings in the square durring the fest- I spotted one holding up his squidphone and tapping pictures while having the biggest smile on his face. Made me laugh.
    Overall I feel more excited for future Splatfests than I did for the previous. I cant wait for the Splatoon 2 launch.

Dog King and OogieBoogie like this.
  16. vanille987

vanille987 Pro Squid

NNID:
    777SAS777
    I loved it much more then i expected!

The duallies became my new favourite weapon due rolling and tenta missiles special.
    Seriously, the weapon has lots of potential especially if you get the rolls and special right.
    I managed to to take on whole teams with it. (granted, that's mostly because of inexperienced players, but still).

Overall the stages were great, although the stage level felt small.
    Skate park though is pretty big and overall a versatile stage.
    Moray towers was actually fun, the ink rail gimmick gives it a neat edge and discourage`s camping while encouraging pushing on and take your chance.
    The duallies became my new favourite weapon due rolling and tenta missiles special.
    Seriously, the weapon has lots of potential especially if you get the rolls and special right.
    I managed to to take on whole teams with it. (granted, that's mostly because of inexperienced players, but still).

Overall the stages were great, although the stage level felt small.
    Skate park though is pretty big and overall a versatile stage.
    Moray towers was actually fun, the ink rail gimmick gives it a neat edge and discourage`s camping while encouraging pushing on and take your chance.

OogieBoogie, ZEROrevive and Dessgeega like this.
  17. TheBuzKill

TheBuzKill Inkling

Did anyone else have an issue trying to play with friends? My friend and I both chose team Ice Cream and went to the multiplayer team battle. We were able to link up but unable to play together without a full team. It wouldn't allow us to go in as a pair. Either I did something wrong or I hope this gets corrected in the actual release of the game!

18. RacingGamer

RacingGamer Inkling

NNID:
    Robin99
    It was great this splatfest and I became a huge fan of the dualies (and I even found some cool tricks and techniques)
    Well I ended up being an Ice Cream Queen and got an Ice Cream Power of 1832,9.

I've got to be saying that I liked the second half of the stages more, you're not constantly splatting each other. However, the podium stage (I forgot the name) was really a lot of fun. Overall I can´t wait for the game to be released.

OogieBoogie likes this.
  19. ForteReborn

ForteReborn Inkling Commander

NNID:
    ForteReborn
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5389-7346-0792
    I don't feel good, so I will make this short:

I had fun, but the first hour was nothing but a disconnection fest and I hardly was able to fluctuate over Defender, and stuck there after it was over. Otherwise, I found a new weapon to admire and that was the splat dualies.

One thing I will mention, apart from the new stages. Moray Towers felt more smaller, but wider and less drawn outward than it's older appearance. Makes turfing less of a hassle and quicker to gain access across from the map. Too bad there wasn't much chargers for me to get an idea how they will become an obstacle for me since I was practicing with the dualies in that time.

Sorry if I can't recall the newer stages, I am too tired and groggy to even bother but I do like the art academy. The only thing they do need to fix is the camping problems, which this will be later resolved. I also feel the specials are kinda more 'fixed' and more varied as terms with just covering the range of the area. Especially when I used mine, it was fun to get people to scatter and come in for a kill.

So that is my opinion of it, I can't really cover anymore because my mind is dwindling on me.

OogieBoogie and ZEROrevive like this.
  20. Remi

Remi Inkling

Loved it! Really can't wait untill the full game comes out.

I did have A LOT communication error the first hour and last, only got to play two matches then.
    I used every weapon, cause I like to be the best with every weapon I can.
    Hard to get use to the vertical flip on the roller, I found myself clicking on the X button (the map) instead xD (but that is probably only my problem)
    The new specials though, really loved them. Especially the splashdown and jet pack.
    The Inkblot Art Academy with the "non-inkingbell" places really made it more of a challenge. New favorite stage!

Overall pretty good. LIke, really good.
    Have to check my internet next time though, just to make sure.

suavevillain and OogieBoogie like this.
  21. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie Pro Squid

NNID:
    MrOogieBoogie
    I queued solo the whole time, but it looked like you should have been able to join as pairs, OR full teams...so it should have worked. Still, look at it like it was a beta/stress test...even with less than a week until launch, there are gonna be bugs. Wait until EVERYONE is playing on EVERY stage with EVERY weapon/gear piece. Gonna take a while for Nintendo to stomp out all the bugs/exploits that are going to rise.

22. Dessgeega

Premium

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    Playing with friends requires a total of 4 people, it's basically the same as quad squads from the first game.

Flash Fire likes this.
  23. suavevillain

suavevillain Inkling Cadet

• I had a ton of fun. The game looks great in close up shots.
    • Match Making took way too long
    • The new maps are pretty cool and the old maps are even better now.
    • Controls still take some getting used to.

24. Ulk

Ulk Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Die-Ulk-Nudel
    Played 10 hours overall. Two in Japanese, and Four hours each for European and US. Absolutely loved it and once and for all quenched my thirst so I won't be too impatient about the release next week.

As for communicatin errors, everyone had them. The server was just ****. I think it was of the same quality as the Splatoon Test Fire server. Do keep in mind however that the ARMS Test Fire contained ghastly server usage and communication errors from all sides as well, none of which is an issue in the full game.
    Not to make any promises that this will be the same case in Splatoon, but I would believe it's unlikely the Splatoon servers will be as bad as those of the demo.

25. D3RK

D3RK Semi-Pro Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
    I didn't get a chance to play personally since my switch is shipping later this week, but I really enjoyed the streams I watched of the splatfest. The game looks great and feels a lot more balanced now that specials like bubbler, kraken, and inkzooka are history. The 3 maps that I got to see all had a nice feel to them but the Art Academy was easily my favorite. It feels a lot like Walleye Warehouse 2.0 with how the map is designed and played

Moray Towers has been vastly improved with the larger lanes, extended side areas, and increased stage movement thanks to the ink lines. I still feel like it favors chargers a little too much though since all the ink rails are easily locked down from the same spot that chargers were already known for standing at. The map still lacks a way to approach chargers without them having clear sight of you the entire time but at least now there are a few more ways to get to them.
    • Fast falling with the Splat Dualies roll is going to make that weapon incredibly fun to play on a lot of the maps with high elevation.
    • Ink Jet feels under-powered. It seems hard to aim at a lot of angles and the shots have limited range before they disappear. The risk is much higher than the reward for this special in a lot of cases. Not that I'm complaining though, I'll take that over another Inkzooka situation any day.
    • I heard a lot of complaints about "aim acceleration" by multiple streamers. I'm not a motion control player so i'm not sure what that felt like, but something with gyro has changed from the original Splatoon.
    Definitely excited for Friday! Even though I work until 10 p.m ; ;

26. Krauzzer

Krauzzer Inkling

I am new to the whole Splatoon world, but I really enjoy it a lot. I cannot wait to get it to be able to try out the whole game. The splatfest was pretty fun, and it gave me a better idea as to why this game is so popular.

I was with the minority of the Cake team, and I was able to achieve the Cake King title. Sadly we lost :(

I sucked with the charger, and I need to practice the roll and the vertical splat for sure. They seem to be very important moves that will help with the versatility of the weapons.

Noob Q: What is the benefit of the splatfest in the regular game? Do you get unique items?

27. Nixon_Corral

Nixon_Corral Inkling

Really enjoyed it. Never played Splatoon 1 (was out of town for 3 months when it came out, so I sort of missed the initial hype and just never got around to buying it), but this Splatfest has sold me on the concept. I partied up with three friends and had a blast. Still getting accustomed to the different weapons and controls, but we still did a lot of winning, and I felt I was quickly getting up to speed.

On a related note, what is the consensus on motion controls? Or is there one?

OogieBoogie likes this.
  28. Dessgeega

Premium

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    Generally (emphasis on generally) speaking, motion controls are superior to sticks. There's plenty of people that prefer the latter for valid reasons, but the grand majority of players use motion controls.

Dog King likes this.
  29. Nixon_Corral

Nixon_Corral Inkling

Ah, cool. I sort of felt that motion would be what I would ultimately settle on, but I was interested to see what vets thought. Appreciate the reply.

Dessgeega likes this.
  30. Dessgeega

Premium

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    No problem. Glad to hear you enjoyed the splatfest!

Nixon_Corral likes this.
  31. Dessgeega

Premium

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    Participating in splatfests gets you Super Sea Snails, the amount depending on your title and whether your side won or lost. In the first game a Super Sea Snail can be used for a free re-roll, which normally costs 30,000 in-game cash. You usually get 1000-2000 per turf war match, so snails are quite valuable, and someone who gets to King on the winning team got a whopping 24 snails, while they still get 18 on the losing side.

We can assume they'll work similarly in the sequel, and now they'll be even more valuable with Murch's new services!

32. Lonely_Dolphin

Lonely_Dolphin Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Einsam_Delphin
    It well proved me wrong! Nintendo is actually making improvements to the online play as I was able to immediately notice how much better Splatoon 2's netcode is from Splatoon 1. Of course I was going to accept paid online anyway, but between this and only $20/year it's a much easier pill to swallow.

As for gameplay, I greatly enjoyed the Splat Dualies and used them the most. Dodgeroll is very useful for escapes, but I still need more practice using them offensively. Burst Bombs were okay, but I rarely got any splats with them alone. They're more for assisted splats now. Tentamissles is my favorite special so far with how easily usable it is.

I didn't get anything out of the Splat Chargers hold charge ability as I don't think I fully understand how it works. Whenever I popped out of the ink to fire my shot, it wasn't fully charged shot for some reason. Guess I'll be sticking to Scopes, I need the accuracy help anyway. And yeah the Stingray could use further buffing. It should atleast kill faster if it's going to lock you in place.

Got a ton of ussage out of the Rollers vertical flick, though I did mess up a few times and go vertical when I wanted horizontal, still gotta get used to it. Not a huge fan of the curling bomb but I like it more than the Seeker if only because it doesn't take your entire tank. Splash Down is pretty sweet but I forgot to try super jumping with it hehe.

Lastly the Tentatek, well it had nothing new about it's main n sub, but the Inkjet was very fun to use, but also not easy to use. It's no good hitting areas above it, and it's shots don't travel as fast as the Inkzooka's making directs harder to land. Then of course you have to be mindful of where you activate it at. I forgot about that detail and ended up dead a number of times hehe.

All in all I had great fun, can't wait til Friday!

33. Dessgeega

Premium

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    We'll see if this catches on or not, but I had better success with the inkjet using a trick from other shooters I've played - aiming at the ground or the enemy's feet instead of the enemy themselves. Probably not as likely to be lethal, but it's great for pressuring and assists!

Lonely_Dolphin likes this.
  34. mercenariez

mercenariez Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    gamelo8018
    Yeah it moves a lot slower, I don't think I even died a single time from an Inkjet shot cuz it's so predictable and slow.

It also disappears into thin air if it doesn't collide with anything immediately (its range isn't that long). I thought my shots were getting lagged out at first! As it turns out, if you shoot it in the air and don't hit anything, it literally is a complete waste of a shot, since it doesn't even ink!

Lonely_Dolphin and Green Waffles like this.
  35. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie Pro Squid

NNID:
    MrOogieBoogie
    Oh I do think that needs to change too...the sting ray needs a small buff somewhere and the inkjet should have an infinite range. It is already one of the slowest weapons in the game and leaves you vulnerable while using it...let me at least blast some ink wads at the opponents spawn area XD

36. RespawningJesus

RespawningJesus I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
    Premium

NNID:
    RespawningJesus
    I enjoyed myself. Had no communication errors at all, unless it was before or after a match; never during one, which is fine in my books. Not only that, but it looks like they improved on the quality of the netcode for this demo as well; I didn't notice the same issue as in the previous test fire where I would get insta-splatted from a splattershot or dualie without taking any previous damage.

EDIT: Oh, and I played the entire 4 hours in tabletop mode, which worked a lot better than I though. Wi-fi held up nicely.

#36 RespawningJesus, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  37. TOOF7LTHY

TOOF7LTHY Inkling

NNID:
    TOOF7LTHY
    Was super fun I kept getting communication error between rounds.. I went out and bought a lan adapter today lol so im ready for when Splatoon 2 drops. I missed about 1 hour 45 mins of the splatfest due to work... Got to like Ice Cream Champ 24/99 and about 1800 Ice Cream Rating.

OogieBoogie likes this.
  38. Fullmental

Fullmental Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    Pokeman92
    I had a good time. Took part in all 3 region splatfests from start to finish and really felt good about the game, maps, and mechanics as a whole. I also was impressed by the netcode, unlike Splatoon 1 where it seems I always wind up in at least 1-2 matches an hour with players that lag sometimes into 3-4 second ranges (not my internet, wired with a fiber connection), I saw such behavior only once in the whole 12 hours (and in that case it was a DC-fest where only 2 players survived the entire match without disconnecting, making me believe whoever was the "host" player was having major issues). I did have a few lobby connection issues but I chalked that down to the build being a beta and am hopeful this will go away with release or in a patch or two.

I tried out all 4 weapons at least a few times and decided firmly on the Tentatek as my main for the day. I tried charger, but for some reason I had a lot more trouble with it than I do in Splatoon 1. I'm not sure if the pro controller has something to do with it due to the different dimensions compared to the gamepad, but I'm not much of a sniper anyway so I don't consider it a big deal. The roller was okay, I enjoyed the vertical flick and the speedups, but rolling around just isn't my style of play. Dualies were a disappointment, honestly. I wish they had kept the ability to jump, or at the very least mapped the roll button to A instead of the jump button, because it is such a jarring change to go from a regular shooter where you jump and shoot all the time to the dualies where if you try jumping and shooting, you're just going to roll off into one direction by accident. All it did was get me into trouble and frustrate me, and as a shooter/splatling/slosher main, I feel like it's not something I can easily adjust to because I'll still be using the jump button with all of my other weapons. Couple that with the disappointing kit on the dapple dualies, and the hype is just gone for me. I loved the tenta missiles, but I have no other reasons to play it.

The maps were pretty good and balanced to my first impression. I really liked the art academy and humpback pumptrack maps, and I REALLY like the addition of the rails on Moray. The rails on Moray give us shooters another option to try and take out or put pressure on the snipers, forcing them to pay attention in three directions now instead of just two. I think it'll give shooters enough of an edge now that we won't have to suffer through 4-6 sniper teams when Moray shows up anymore.

39. teknerd

teknerd Inkling

NNID:
    FieryRedDogTeko
    I had to get used to controls cuz I haven't played in forever. I kept remembering jumping as X from the WiiU so I kept messing up there lol. It felt kind of slow but that's only cuz we were stuck with the abilities given on the demo clothing. I overall had a fun time though! I did end up dcing a lot here and there idk whats up with that.
    I cant wait for the full game to come out. I wanna get my inkling all dressed up and test out all the new stuff fully.

OogieBoogie likes this.
  40. Cyrus Dark

Cyrus Dark Full Squid
    Premium

NNID:
    Geprodis
    I had the same problem at first with thinking X should be the jump button, but after failing to find a way to change the controls, I just accepted B as the new jump and kept thinking "don't press X". There were still some scramble situations where I did press X and died because of it. I am sure I will be using X at the right time to check my map once I get the hang of it.

OogieBoogie likes this.