• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 How do I get better at the game?

ultranum

Inkling
NNID
num1231
Switch Friend Code
SW-8479-1787-5963
Ive been losing an insane amount of games in a row with only like 1 or 2 wins in between and I have no idea how Im in Rank X. Im thinking the main problem is my aim, positioning, reaction time, game sense. How do I improve in all of these really basic things?

DualBlade25

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Haser
Switch Friend Code
SW-0688-5884-4388
HAXS!

But no, if you keep practising at the game I am sure you'll get better. Unless you are like me

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Well first, don't set your goals too high too soon. X rank is still a long ways off, even players who are actually good at this game may not even set their sights on X rank.

Many of the things you seek to improve are simply tricks of the trade. Things that you have to steadily learn and improve by just playing again and again and trying to better yourself in them.

However advice I can give.
Testing area is a good place to adjust yourself to your sensitivity options, practice trying to splat all the dummies in quick succession. You'll start to get a knack for how much you need to tilt to adjust your aim.
Learn your sound queues, and just learn to be more aware of your surroundings, try to be as aware as you can of where the enemy might be.

Honestly, just keep practicing.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
This is better in a competitive environment with a team, but it helped my solo play regardless.

Actually think about what you're doing. I know it sounds obvious and somewhat throw-away, but it really does help. When you're rushing to zone at the start of the game, do you see the Splattershot sneaking down the left side? Meet 'em there and give them an unpleasant surprise! Learn the different playstyles of each weapon and how to deal with them. I recommend creating an alt account and playing with lots of different weapons in ranked, allowing you to get used to them.

I was in a scrim a few weeks ago on TC Walleye. We were in the lead but had only pushed the tower ~5 points because a Hydra was sitting on the grates and would shut down anyone on the tower. Realizing this, I popped Stingray the next time my team took tower and killed the Hydra, leaving their defences open, and eventually, winning the game.

I have the video of the match somewhere. I'll post it here when I find it.

Breezy

Inkster Jr.
It helps me to watch high level tournament play to see how how advanced players position themselves and make plays. It helps that the commentators are usually familiar with the game and point out the reason a certain set of plays either did or did not work. As for aim, the testing range really is a great resource for that. I think it could be a little better (maybe if there were AI characters to fight), but it's quite valuable for warming up and improving your precision.

Reaction time is a little tricky because of the game's latency. Much of the time, if a player is on you, no amount of reaction speed will help you because they've already killed you on their screen before you can react on yours. Because of this, you need to heighten your map awareness and check common flanking routes periodically. For instance, I was playing charger on Humpback zones and I was covering the zone at range. Once I got a few picks, I knew I would become a target because that's what always happens, so I started actively watching the left flank route and lo and behold, here comes a challenger. I had stingray so I suppressed him before he even got close to me, but he would have gotten me had I not been deliberate about knowing where everyone is. So make a habit of taking stock of the field by checking the map every time you die, every time you're charging ink, and especially when the match begins.

ultranum

Inkling
NNID
num1231
Switch Friend Code
SW-8479-1787-5963
Well first, don't set your goals too high too soon. X rank is still a long ways off, even players who are actually good at this game may not even set their sights on X rank.

Many of the things you seek to improve are simply tricks of the trade. Things that you have to steadily learn and improve by just playing again and again and trying to better yourself in them.

However advice I can give.
Testing area is a good place to adjust yourself to your sensitivity options, practice trying to splat all the dummies in quick succession. You'll start to get a knack for how much you need to tilt to adjust your aim.
Learn your sound queues, and just learn to be more aware of your surroundings, try to be as aware as you can of where the enemy might be.

Honestly, just keep practicing.
I have been doing what you said for over 600 hours and I have not learned anything as everything I do is still extremely poor and comparable or worse than a level 1. also, im not aiming for X as somehow, im already in X.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Here is the twitch video. The Walleye game starts at about 14 minutes.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Ive been losing an insane amount of games in a row with only like 1 or 2 wins in between and I have no idea how Im in Rank X. Im thinking the main problem is my aim, positioning, reaction time, game sense. How do I improve in all of these really basic things?
Well, unfortunately, there's not a definitive answer to that question that remedies everything on that list. But I can at least give you one tip that will help you remedy the rest.

And it's called having "map control". What does that mean "mæp kənˈtroʊl"? It's as simple as looking down on the floor. If the ground you're standing on is in your color, you're good. If it's the enemy's color, that's bad.
" @ThatOneGuy I knew that already because Judd told me that yesterday."

But did Judd tell you how important it is to have control? Think about it, how far do you usually travel in enemy ink before you die? Usually, it's a couple steps and you're already dead. Why does this happen? Mostly because your speed rivals that of a slug when trying to traverse enemy ink. Not to mention, your health is being sapped by the enemy ink, making the opponent's arsenal kill you faster if you dare to stand in enemy ink for too long.

But what happens when you stand in your own ink color? You get to swim in ink rather quickly, climb walls, recover health, and refill your ammunition. Making it pretty pleasing to be in your own ink color. Giving you that insane mobility boost over your opponents. Making splatoon a game of who can control more area than the other.

If you look at after pretty much any splatoon game, what do you see? You'll usually see the winning team's ink color dominating the map, and seeing the losing team's ink color barely come out of their spawn at times. Since that insane mobility boost will help you take the objective faster, and allow you to win much more gunfights.

And that's not even mentioning about how many specials you can get just by painting the ground. Since your special meter goes up by how much ground you cover.

"I bet you it's a complex techinque in order to have map control."

Not really, for most weapons holding the fire button and looking around should be sufficient enough to get you some map control.

"What weapons are the best at getting map control"?

Usually a weapon with a high fire rate and where a lot of ink pellets are emitted. Weapons like the aerospray, splash o matic, dapple dualies, mini splatling, and heavy splatling are good examples of this.

This also works vice versa. Slow, low fire rate weapons are usually bad at getting turf. Weapons like the Range Blaster, E-Liter, and the splat charger are good examples of this rule.

And don't forget subs and specials can paint too. Sprinklers, suction bombs, and curling bombs can help you grab map control quicker and allow you to get your special faster.

Speaking of specials, inkstorm, bomb rush (all 3 of them), baller, and bubble blower can grab a lot of turf quickly. Allowing quick control of the objective, or to defend an enemy push.

Hope this helps. This should apply to positioning the most if anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom