• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

How do You Play This Game?

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
No really... how. Clearly I haven't even grasped the fundamentals of this game with constant lose streaks and improvement just isn't in cards. I've been playing since the test fires and I'm still in the lower end of the skill scale.

So... how do you play Splatoon?

Metronome

Inkling
NNID
Kyirou
I myself have found I can't go leeroy into things like I can in other shooters. Splatoon to me...is an interesting beast(mind you, I said to me.). Anyway, I tend to play more on the sneaky side. Anticipate movements, wait for them to mess up, then make them regret it. That said, still working on that last part...:/ Try taking a day out to do nothing but test weapons. I thought I was at my wit's end with this game till I found the Tri Sloshed and discovered what the Disruptor can really do. That's another thing too. Find a weapon with a sub you like. Anyway, just some of my thoughts, though, probably things you've heard before, I'm sure.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'd say how you play it depends on your playstyle, so I can't just say "do X and Y and you'll be fine until level Z", as there are a lot of variables in between. However, I will recomend finding a weapon set you like to use, get some gear you like to wear and play what you want to play (just be careful in Ranked, some can take it a bit too serious, and it's understandable). Now if you're looking for specific tips, like dealing with a weapon or special, then we could go into detail ;)

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I'd say how you play it depends on your playstyle, so I can't just say "do X and Y and you'll be fine until level Z", as there are a lot of variables in between. However, I will recomend finding a weapon set you like to use, get some gear you like to wear and play what you want to play (just be careful in Ranked, some can take it a bit too serious, and it's understandable). Now if you're looking for specific tips, like dealing with a weapon or special, then we could go into detail ;)
Specifics? Well... What is generally a good opening strategy? What do you do when the enemy has middle and is pushing into your base or in your base and locking your team down? How do you combat ranged weapons when you have a ranged weapon (like a Dual Squelcher against a 52 gal or a Pro)? How do you fight against a push from the enemy team? Are some match ups just impossible to win? How do you control an area? These are only a few questions based on what my games have been like.

Since you brought up playstyle, I'll tell you what mine is.... I don't know. I don't know what it is. I can't describe it.

Last edited:

Relados

Senior Squid
I myself have found I can't go leeroy into things like I can in other shooters.
It's weird, I was the other way around: in every other shooter, I was that annoying sniping camper, but in Splatoon I play well only when I get close and personal, diving and weaving on the front lines. I feel Splatoon rewards mobility and positional play over the trick aiming and shots standard shooters have.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
I get myself a nice delicious beverage, sit down on my couch, turn on the TV (with the Gamepad of course) turn on the console, open up splatoon, and start splattin ****.

If I'm not doing as much splatting as I am being splatted, I finish my drink, turn off the game and console (with the gamepad of course) and I go enjoy the day. Don't sweat it bro.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
This guide helps a lot: http://squidboards.com/guides/game-sense-develop-yourself-further-as-a-splatoon-player.102/
Everything I was going to say is basically covered in that guide.

Strategies depend on game modes and maps. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a guide for that. They also depend on your playstyle, so you'll need to figure that out.

Do you prefer long ranged weapons or short ranged? Do you like to play aggressive and splat as many people as possible? Or do you play defensive and prefer to pressure people and push them away (splatting when necessary)? Different weapons lend themselves to different strategies. http://squidboards.com/threads/weapon-strategy-types.7647/

Watch some streamers like Dude and flc, they will help you figure out patterns and different ways to approach different maps. For instance, when splaying TW Saltspray you only need to control the top and middle and you will win. So take the bump between the two and you'll have a good vantage point to defend the area. Honestly, watching Dude play has helped me a lot. It lets you see successful opening strategies, how he engages different weapons, when to push and when to play defensive. Also, ask questions in the chat, even if you feel stupid/silly for asking, as they will likely still give you a solid answer.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Specifics? Well... What is generally a good opening strategy? What do you do when the enemy has middle and is pushing into your base or in your base and locking your team down? How do you combat ranged weapons when you have a ranged weapon (like a Dual Squelcher against a 52 gal or a Pro)? How do you fight against a push from the enemy team? Are some match ups just impossible to win? How do you control an area? These are only a few questions based on what my games have been like.

Since you brought up playstyle, I'll tell you what mine is.... I don't know. I don't know what it is. I can't describe it.
I'll answer the ones I can (please note, these are for Turf Wars):

• What is generally a good opening strategy?
There's quite a few:
  1. Trying to paint as much Turf as possible to get your special early.
  2. Trying to get to the enemy's side as soon as possible to trap them on their side.
  3. Any combination of the first two.
I personally tend to sit back and paint all I can since I like that playstyle.

• What do you do when the enemy has middle and is pushing into your base or in your base and locking your team down?
There's several things that can be done:
  1. If you have long-range weapons, fight back the enemy from afar and keep them from gaining ground.
  2. If you have short-range weapons, find an openning and try to get to the enemy's side to paint their base; it forces them to deal with it and gives your team a chance to either push the enemy back or jump towards you.
  3. Charge your special weapon and use it to turn the tide of the battle (you can do what I call "trading ink", where you cover the area that the enemy is currently trying to cover. That said, it is a double-edge sword, so keep that in mind).

• How do you combat ranged weapons when you have a ranged weapon (like a Dual Squelcher against a 52 gal or a Pro?
First and foremost, the .52 Gal doesn't have a great range (unless you meant the .96 Gal, which does). Aside of that, it usually comes down to either positioning or outplaying the other guy, or a combination of both. What I like to do is learn how many shots each weapon requires to splat an enemy, so I can keep track of how many shots I need to win a fight or how many shots I can currently take without getting splatted. If you can't win the fight, you can always go for a tactical retreat (swimming in ink makes you recover health faster anyways)

• How do you fight against a push from the enemy team?
If you are down in players, you can try the "trading ink" thingy I said earlier to keep them from advancing, or, if you're feeling lucky, start splatting them (even if it sounds obvious, it is worth mentioning), but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a Bubbler, Inkzooka, Echolocator or Kraken ready.

• How do you control an area?
I'd say either splatting the enemy near it or the "trading ink" trick yet again (it's hard to capture an area when you're constantly getting shot, especially if those shots slow you to a crawl)

Anyone feel free to add something else. By the way, from the nature of your questions I'd say you're a defensive player for the most part :ability_defenseup:

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
The first question you should really ask is just basic gameplay mechanics. Am I aiming correctly? Am I taking the shortest route to where I want to go? Do I know how to use the weapon I equipped? If the answer may be no to any of those questions, that's the first step.

After that, start experimenting. The best way to get to an intermediate level is through experience. You need to find for yourself not only what works in general, but what works for you based on your strategy. If you try something and you lose a match, try something different, and then compare your results. Then keep trying everything and comparing results until you see what's your best choice, and only then can you start refining the technique.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
You just have to get to your best skill level possible, and then luck out til you get to S+.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
Here's something I must ask... how is it that someone can play for MONTHS, even since the testfires, and barely improve? I don't get.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Here's something I must ask... how is it that someone can play for MONTHS, even since the testfires, and barely improve? I don't get.
If you make the same mistake 15 times it still counts as a mistake. You improve when you correct the mistake ;)

Skepticpunk

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SkepticPunk
Are you using motion controls?

If so, what's your sensitivity? I had mine set to -2 for a while, improved quite a bit, but then went into a slump when I turned it up to 0 because I had to focus so much on my aiming that I couldn't think about anything else, and thus couldn't improve. I turned it back to -2 and am now beginning to improve much faster than before.

If it's a higher sensitivity, I recommend you turn it down to the lowest you can go while still being to comfortably turn 180° using both motion and the stick at the same time. This will make aiming at enemies MUCH more consistent, and you'll find you'll be able to focus less on aiming and just do it, freeing your mind to do other things like predicting enemy movement and thinking of counter-positions to take them out more easily.

Sheinpt

The Squid Kid B)
I'll have to agree with this, as well as if you don't get the game's play style you shouldn't really be playing it until you do.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
Are you using motion controls?

If so, what's your sensitivity? I had mine set to -2 for a while, improved quite a bit, but then went into a slump when I turned it up to 0 because I had to focus so much on my aiming that I couldn't think about anything else, and thus couldn't improve. I turned it back to -2 and am now beginning to improve much faster than before.
I do use motion controls and it's on -5 sensitivity.

Skepticpunk

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SkepticPunk
I do use motion controls and it's on -5 sensitivity.
You should try turning it up a bit, then. It'll probably help with map awareness if you can turn around more easily.

I played with -5 for a while before switching to -2, and being able to look around more easily helped a ton.

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
For ranged weapons it's keeping them within your sweat spot and staying out of theirs because generally the longer the range the more time it take to kill (expect the murderous 96 gal but it has terrible accuracy ) as well as being aware of your surroundings, if you are having trouble with a certain weapon switch to that weapon it will teach you the strengths and weaknesses of the weapon first hand and you can get a good idea on how that weapon is going to attack you, it would also help if you told us what weapon you use the most because each weapon has it's own strengths and weaknesses (can't be telling you to stay far away when your main weapon is an inkbrush) but everyone plays their favorite weapon a little differently so if you can record a bit of you playing with your weapon we can show you some tips on maybe how to use the weapon better or show you a better weapon for that play style.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
For ranged weapons it's keeping them within your sweat spot and staying out of theirs because generally the longer the range the more time it take to kill (expect the murderous 96 gal but it has terrible accuracy ) as well as being aware of your surroundings, if you are having trouble with a certain weapon switch to that weapon it will teach you the strengths and weaknesses of the weapon first hand and you can get a good idea on how that weapon is going to attack you, it would also help if you told us what weapon you use the most because each weapon has it's own strengths and weaknesses (can't be telling you to stay far away when your main weapon is an inkbrush) but everyone plays their favorite weapon a little differently so if you can record a bit of you playing with your weapon we can show you some tips on maybe how to use the weapon better or show you a better weapon for that play style.
I use the Dual Squelcher the most. Besides that, there's the Jr., Splash-o-Matic, Kelp Charger, and Carbon Roller.

If you want videos, here. (They're old and of potato quality but I can safely say nothing changed other than gear)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLb_GGPZzSTcEQReaXUZbkEVvA5YXVwZdQ

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
you actually aren't that bad the only thing I see you do is rushing in with a weapon like the duel squelcher it's better to keep your distance because very few people can out range you and you need to know who can and flank them I also see you holding on to your echoloacter when you see the entire team is respawned use it it won't be a waste it can also completely refull your ink as for e-liters which you show hate for there is a reason I have ninja squid they can only fire three shots before recharging also your splat bomb can flush a sniper out of it's nest (this is coming from an e-liter main) also you seem to be moving fast or is it just me?

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
For excelling with any weapon at all really a key strategy is abusing its range. If you can outrange someone, they have four options: die, retreat, try to approach, or use a grenade/super, the last two are not guaranteed to work. The dual squelcher outranges a ton of weapons. You should be using it to shoot people when they can't shoot you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom