• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How do you recover from a bad day?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
So I couldn't sleep on Monday night/Tuesday morning so I played some Splatoon. I was wrecking people in Turf Wars with the Aerospray MG (I just really like ink strike in TW). I would cover a bunch of ink then play defensively, hiding in strategic locations to ambush. It was a ton of fun and effective. It was also at 3am.

The next day I try the same thing and I suddenly can't aim. Can't juke. Can't time my ink strikes. It was very frustrating coming off such a great experience the night before. Then the same things happen last night. I just can't seem to get back into a groove. It's like the one bad day is extending... Or maybe the high followed by the low is just making things seem worse.

Anyway, how do you all get back into a groove if you're having a bad day? Do you just turn it off? Do you play single player? Change weapons? Go from ranked to TW or vice versa?

LuNeTakaneko

Inkling
NNID
LuNeTakaneko
I would switch weapons and try to regain my lost rank points (and possibly gain more and lose immediately after). Sometimes, I try a different playstyle; but mostly, I look and see what I was doing wrong and then try to be more wary to try and not repeat it again.

If it gets bad, I just quit and try tomorrow.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
I Play another game or do something else and come back later.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
I'm going to post here only because I can remember it like it was yesterday... oh wait.

Anyways, I fell from S to A- and I was really losing it because all my team mates where bad (and I was playing rainmaker for the most part) so the best thing I could think of was to wait for the next rotation which happened to be tower control. It was hit and miss but still going bad, so I again waited for the next rotation and it happened to be splatzones.

THIS was where I took control of everything and before long, I got my S rank back with a 20 vibe meter string.

So basically what i'm trying to say is, snipe certain map and mode rotations and then abuse it for the next 4 hours.

And yes, I go through the same things such as constantly switching up weapons to see what i'm doing wrong but then go back to my tried and true when things get dire.

Devicho

Inkling
NNID
Devicho
Unfortunately, having a really bad streak in this or any game tends to set my depression off, which usually means I wind up laying down for a while and possibly going to bed early and hoping it gets better next time I play. It's too easy to see my losses as completely my fault even if I was doing my best and even consistently MVP of my team.

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
So I couldn't sleep on Monday night/Tuesday morning so I played some Splatoon. I was wrecking people in Turf Wars with the Aerospray MG (I just really like ink strike in TW). I would cover a bunch of ink then play defensively, hiding in strategic locations to ambush. It was a ton of fun and effective. It was also at 3am.

The next day I try the same thing and I suddenly can't aim. Can't juke. Can't time my ink strikes. It was very frustrating coming off such a great experience the night before. Then the same things happen last night. I just can't seem to get back into a groove. It's like the one bad day is extending... Or maybe the high followed by the low is just making things seem worse.

Anyway, how do you all get back into a groove if you're having a bad day? Do you just turn it off? Do you play single player? Change weapons? Go from ranked to TW or vice versa?
This is what we refer to as tilt. Tilt is where a normally good player messes up in situations that they'd normally do well. Tilt can be caused by multiple things like trouble focusing, fatigue, and intense negative emotions etc.

If you think you're going on tilt, then you need to quit. Tilt gets worse the longer you insist on playing and it exists in pretty much every game with some form of multiplayer.

So for all the people that have dropped 2-3 ranks in a session, you were almost certainly on tilt. Know the signs squiddos, it's what seperates a good player from a great player.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
When I start to lose my A-game and get tired/stressed, well, I'd let the Good Doctor speak for me:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Yeah, I noticed that I was getting really frustrated using the Carbon Roller yesterday so I switched to the tentatek and things got better. Allowed me to play a bit more defensively and not be punished as much for missed flicks/botched pushes.

Sometimes you just need to shake things up to get out of a funk.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
If i do really badly, i'll just head back to turf war to chill and try out random weapons. Ranked gets way too tense to keep on playing for hours on end, anyway.

That, or practise dunking splat bombs at the testing area.

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
What Elecmaw said. I use music to just play and chill in turf.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
Blame my teammates, cry a little bit, turn off my Wii U in anger, say Rainmaker is a stupid gamemode in Solo queue, say Kraken is a broken special that needs a nerf, punch a pillow, and the occasional take off my headphones slowly and just shake my head.

Most of these are true as well, I just don't mean them because obviously I'm salty when I do. Anything to let go of that salt helps. However if I actually still want to play while having a bad streak, I just listen to some music. "So when I have a s***** day, I drift away and put em on" <--Props to you if you know that reference.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
I take breaks and go to miiverse and browse or draw funny/relevant pictures of my game play...(
)

unforgiven

Inkster Jr.
I will never get upset over bad performance in public Turf War games.
I just play Turf War to level up my gear, because I'm that one gamer who wants all gear with three slots.

But for Ranked matches, I had a really bad time where I went from A to A- three times.
At least, every time I was back in A-, I won all the games, I didn't waste time in A-.
One time, I was A98 and lost all the games back to A6.

What I recommend doing is try a new game so that you don't burn yourself out on Splatoon.
I have a few games in rotation like Runbow, New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Super Metroid... three games I never played.

I finally managed to go to A+ and had the easiest time going to S.

UnnecessaryTodd

Full Squid
NNID
UnnecessaryTodd
I switch games for a little bit, or I try to call a friend to play online with me. It's really hard to get too angry at Splatoon if you have a friend with you, especially in Turf Wars where you might be on opposite teams since then it becomes friendly competition and you can attribute your loss to your friend rather than to a fault on your part and just joke around and have fun. Otherwise, I switch to something else like Smash Bros or Rocket League.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom