• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How does Turf War match making work?

G

girigiriHERO

So I wanted to practice with the Splat Charger as I've always had an interest in them, but it's nearly impossible when you're level 50 and S rank to "practice" a weapon you aren't proficient with. So as many people have done, I made an alt account. I played through the first 4 levels and of course I was being a bit of an ***, getting 16 kills and 0 deaths, which is given because I've been playing Splatoon since day one. So I log out of the lobby, buy the charger, go back in and I'M PAIRED WITH LEVEL 50S!? How in the world is this FAIR!? So I decided, eff it, I'm not going to try to get to level 10 for Ranked to practice and leave it at that.

Fast forward to today, I deleted that alts Splatoon data and I decided, I'm gonna be nice. I went in and for the first 4 levels I barely killed anyone, I actually tried to run away from almost all battles and utilize my bubbler for that (died a lot more than killed), won a few matches and scored around 800 pts. on average (this is Turf Wars after all). Log out of the lobby, buy the Splat Charger...PAIRED WITH LEVEL 50S AGAIN!? What in the holy f*ck is going on Nintendo!? This makes LITERALLY NO SENSE. I'm doing what you're suppose to do in Turf War, and I'm being punished for it? I decided to go back to the Splattershot Jr. and slowly progressed to level 10 while fighting a lobby full of level 50s, which is complete and utter BS. Now I'm in C rank and RANKED MODE IS EASIER THAN TURF WARS.

What I want to know is, HOW THE HELL DO THEY DECIDE TO PAIR ME WITH LEVEL 50S? I didn't kill many people, I died a LOT, I didn't win every match, I just did what I was suppose to and covered turf. I can only imagine the pain of a new player having to put up with this bull crap because the game is broken beyond belief, and it's not because there aren't any new players, there are TONS, just never after I log out of my initial lobby...what happened to hose people I was playing with?

If I had access to the Octobrush, I wouldn't be as salty. Salt all gone now, my alt is 100% Ranked and nothing else, but the fact that the weapon I'm proficient with isn't even available until level 12 and I'm getting my butt handed to me by level 50s.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
It's probably based around who's online- if there's more lv. 50s than lower levels on at the moment it only says that people aren't as inclined to buy the game now since there's not much to do anymore. I could be wrong, of course- I probably shouldn't talk since I quit splatoon for now (or am on a very long hiatus) until after I get a stable job- I only have seasonal work at the moment.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I am also curious about this, as I can distinctly recall getting paired with lvl 20s back on weeks 2-3 after release.
Granted I think they said they changed how the game matches you with other players in one patch or another, it is curious to know it still happens.

The only evidence I can produce on this case would be my squad mate, NAME AND ADDRESS WITH-HELD.
Whenever our squad wants to do low stress turf wars, we havelvl 50 BLANK enter solo. Once she has succesfully squid partied for 1-2 matches, she exits then re-enters the queqe, to which the rest of the squad joins in and we all engage in turf-war-esque tom foolery(like painting a kitten up top in saltspray and fighting bitterly to defend it). BLANK's method of less cutthroat turf war room get will usually net our 40ish-50 lvl squad with randoms ranging from a rare lvl 17 to a more common lvl 50 with less serious splat-lust.

Thus, average match score seems to be a deciding factor.

PS: Pffft! Giri, if ya want my advice, jus' take that suck'r STRAIGHT inta' rainmaker, TA HELL WITH YER RANK!!! =p
For me personally, I found when I played with most any weapon (must I name the one?) for the first time it would only drop my gameplay down one rank, maybe 2, which I regained relatively fast (4-10hours over a day to a few days of play) once I got a basic handle on the dang thing.

But enough of my "rank dun matter" ramblings, to each there own.
I mainly just don't like the bit of time it takes to make another nnid, start up an alt and not have my super fresh gear xP

G

girigiriHERO

It's probably based around who's online- if there's more lv. 50s than lower levels on at the moment it only says that people aren't as inclined to buy the game now since there's not much to do anymore. I could be wrong, of course- I probably shouldn't talk since I quit splatoon for now (or am on a very long hiatus) until after I get a stable job- I only have seasonal work at the moment.
That's what I thought, until I realized that both times I've started fresh I've been paired with lower level players, so I'm almost positive they exist. The more you lose, if you leave the lobby, they will very slowly pair you with lower level players, however inking turf doesn't mean you're good enough to play level 50 veterans.

PS: Pffft! Giri, if ya want my advice, jus' take that suck'r STRAIGHT inta' rainmaker, TA HELL WITH YER RANK!!! =p
That's the idea of this account to be honest, just to practice the Charger weapons with out the worry of being a burden. While I don't care so much about my Rank on my main, I would feel bad doing so poorly and pulling down my team I'm paired with because I don't know what I'm doing. Maybe C rank players are just really bad but I'm getting 10+ kills per game with the Splat Charger so it's fairly enjoyable, really gotta get better at snap aiming though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom