• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How Gamemodes Could Be Made Better

Daxxie

Senior Squid
NNID
Dax
Switch Friend Code
SW-3813-3439-7790
As the title says, are there any gamemodes you think could be done better or improved upon?

For example in certain gamemodes the winning team will have no incentive to actually continue to push their lead and simply play defensively until the time runs out.

Last edited:

Cephalobro

A system that makes a weapon getting less rank points depending on how common it is, this would force the meta to have variety and that no single tactic would be better than all the other tactics. This is especially a problem in Tower Control where Blasters are way too common and would not let any other weapons take on an offensive role.

Daxxie

Senior Squid
NNID
Dax
Switch Friend Code
SW-3813-3439-7790
A system that makes a weapon getting less rank points depending on how common it is, this would force the meta to have variety and that no single tactic would be better than all the other tactics. This is especially a problem in Tower Control where Blasters are way too common and would not let any other weapons take on an offensive role.
Funnily enough I never see blasters in TC, in fact the only blaster i ever see is the Clash, otherwise it's Nzaps.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Here's a bit of this and that.
  • All modes: Lobbies shuffling players between teams more often.
    Like, if I decide to stay in the lobby after getting my [beep] whooped, why can't the player responsible fo' dat be on my team for once? :D
  • All modes: Lobbies putting weapons on each side more equally.
    When there's another charger in my lobby, I'd like, really appreciate it if he wasn't on my team in a zones match, or any match, really. Also, who thought putting two blobs into one team on Goby Zones is a good idea? Have you seen the cheese tactics they can pull off? C'mon mate. :D
  • Fish: Seperate Profresh levels by the hundreds.
    Or maybe introduce more ranks to pad it out. Because there is a huge difference between Profresh 0-100 and Profresh 400+ players.
  • Ranked: When possible, keep the S+[Numbers] as proximate to eachother as possible.
    Having to go against S+9 players when you're like S+0-S+3 on your team is kinda not so cool. Matchmaking treating it as one huge rank is really misleading, and thus, teammate-quality varies hardcore. x3x
  • Ranked: Don't punish late DCs when there's still a minute left to the game.
    This one should be a no-brainer, Nintendo. Like, sorry for not winning a match by knock-out immediately. Now the team has a consistent 4v3 advantage and can easily win this by overtime if not sooner. Thanks I guess.
  • Ranked: Display your current power level. (optional-ish)
    If you can do that for Saltfest, do it for ranked too. This way I can see how well I'm doing in each mode before hitting X, and guess whether a match will give me more or less points on a Win, or punish me less/harsher for a loss.
  • Saltfest: Let us play in Twins too.
    I can only make so many friends within the EU. Even though my friendlist has expanded a good bit by now, most of them already have their set teams. While I can like, easily grab a second player and play with them.

AC1

Inkster Jr.
Players disconnect: if a player disconnect during the rank match and the rank match running time so far is greater than 2 minutes and that player team lose, do not give that team rank bar shakes if that player team manage to grab/hold a lead anytime after that player disconnect.

Players disconnect: if a player disconnect during the rank match and the rank match running time so far is 2 minutes or less and that player team lose, do not give that team rank bar shakes.

Sir Ngyes

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Simple234
They could make the tower in Tower Control move faster the more teammates are on it, assuming that doesn’t happen already!

Kyrushi

Inkling
NNID
Kyrushi
Switch Friend Code
SW-7919-9700-3881
They could make the tower in Tower Control move faster the more teammates are on it, assuming that doesn’t happen already!
It does happen already. People just don't typically exploit that unless the enemy is wiped.

That aside, everything Libra said is a great idea without really disrupting what makes the game fun. If I may add, I really think some maps could use some tweaking for ranked. For example, Goby Arena is very difficult to play on Clam blitz because of how limited your approach options to the basket are. Rainmaker doesn't have this problem due to some extra walls to climb. Similarly, Inkblot on Rainmaker is too limited on how you can get to the goal and could use some sort of alternate pathing even if it's something predictable like an inkline.

Euxis

Inkling
It does happen already. People just don't typically exploit that unless the enemy is wiped.

That aside, everything Libra said is a great idea without really disrupting what makes the game fun. If I may add, I really think some maps could use some tweaking for ranked. For example, Goby Arena is very difficult to play on Clam blitz because of how limited your approach options to the basket are. Rainmaker doesn't have this problem due to some extra walls to climb. Similarly, Inkblot on Rainmaker is too limited on how you can get to the goal and could use some sort of alternate pathing even if it's something predictable like an inkline.
The relationship between the number of Inklings on the tower and it's speed was removed in Splatoon 2, it only affects the checkpoint speed now.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The 'scoring' in splat zones. Never was a fan of the current method and not really sure how it works anyways.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Clam Blitz.

'nuff said.

Okay, just make it so that both baskets take 10 seconds to drop down after someone scores so people don't camp in front of the basket.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Remove clam blitz and rainmaker from ranked rotation. Jokes aside, I hate rainmaker but it's hard to fix what I hate about it without essentially deleting it. As for clams, make it so that you drop all clams and power clams when you superjump so you can't do a clam jump to basket and score immediately. Also make it so that you drop your clams/power clam when your baller is popped. It drops them when you explode it, but if it's popped you keep it and this can be exploited to an extent. I love sz it's perfect.

Daxxie

Senior Squid
NNID
Dax
Switch Friend Code
SW-3813-3439-7790
The only issue I have with SZ is the penalty points, as in if you gain control for a split second it'll add penalty points onto the points you already have, making it difficult for comebacks if your already have a large amount because you lost the zone after scoring a bunch.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
The only issue I have with SZ is the penalty points, as in if you gain control for a split second it'll add penalty points onto the points you already have, making it difficult for comebacks if your already have a large amount because you lost the zone after scoring a bunch.
Well the penalty points make the mode balanced and help to avoid quick ko's. If you need help with SZ strategy feel free to ask more questions. Just as a quick run-down on how to win consistently, when you cap zone, you and your team gotta push up into the enemy side of the map and paint and kill to assert pressure, not even letting the enemy team into the zone. If you hold out long enough you can KO, otherwise if they kill a bunch of you guys and you lose control of the zone and mid, you need to play it patient and try and coordinate specials by waiting for other teammates to use theirs, then you use yours and you can push people out of zone and take back control. Most of SZ is about killing than it is painting zone constantly.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
Clam Blitz..i think those 2 words say enough doesn't it? xD

oh boy this mode needs so much improvement,as it is right now it's to much based on luck/bad luck yeah sure in this game luck is a thing but i seen it before that in all 3 original modes 1 badass player can help the team win already with very good skill,but then comes Clam Blitz..they need to make that mode easier or at least make changes to it that you can actually perform better as a team because it's just frustrating in this mode because everyone really does his/her own thing here,even very good skilled players >.<

Merch_Andise

Inkster Jr.
NNID
solarOddity
Switch Friend Code
SW-1239-4877-3880
As of now, the D-Pad only has two options of communication. Up for booyah, Down for This way. Well, what if we could also use the Left/Right buttons for other sayings, that could switch out depending on the mode?

For example, pressing ← on the D-Pad during Rainmaker, could make you shout "Get the Rainmaker!" and pressing → could make you say "I'll get the Rainmaker!"

Other examples include "Get on the Tower!" "I need Clams!"

Alternatively, the quotes can change depending on the state of the match. For example, holding the rainmaker can allow you to say "Carve me a path!" or "Here I go!" (Which is just baby-talk for "im gonna push")

None of these things would be a game-changer, but it would make quality of life in solo-q much more nice.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
I think one thing that can be fixed with Rainmaker would be to slow the Rainmaker's run speed the farther away from the closest teammate they get. This would further encourage the "perfectly played" Rainmaker match: everyone carving a path and backing up the Rainmaker as a team rather than just snatching the Rainmaker and making a mad dash by yourself to the pedestal.
As of now, the D-Pad only has two options of communication. Up for booyah, Down for This way. Well, what if we could also use the Left/Right buttons for other sayings, that could switch out depending on the mode?

For example, pressing ← on the D-Pad during Rainmaker, could make you shout "Get the Rainmaker!" and pressing → could make you say "I'll get the Rainmaker!"

Other examples include "Get on the Tower!" "I need Clams!"

Alternatively, the quotes can change depending on the state of the match. For example, holding the rainmaker can allow you to say "Carve me a path!" or "Here I go!" (Which is just baby-talk for "im gonna push")

None of these things would be a game-changer, but it would make quality of life in solo-q much more nice.
This. Someone needs to set up a petition, get sigs, and show it to Nintendo to make this happen

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Yes, we definitely need mode-specific communication options! Especially allowing us to be more specific.
Because:

Booyah
Definition:
Hi
I like your username
Let's just have some fun!
I died but the person that killed me died so it's all good
Our team comp is great
Keep doing what you're doing
Stay in this lobby after this game plz
Hey let's squid party
I just beat Hero Mode
It's my birthday
Splatfests are rigged
C'mon quit your afking!
Other team has a dc
we have a dc but we can still do this
Why do inklings have weird teeth?

dabearsss

Inkster Jr.
Clam blitz, IMO you shouldnt be able to use your special and carry the clam at the same time. also, superjumping should make you drop your clams/ power clam when you land

Tower control, more people on a team occupying the tower should move the tower faster at all times.

Splatfest should really be open to duos as well. considering that all of the player base is divided into two teams I'd even be fine with trios being a thing for it too

And lastly, all ties should be won by the team who got their score first, not just the alpha team. This would be for ranked modes, as turf it would be very iffy to make that happen.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
And lastly, all ties should be won by the team who got their score first, not just the alpha team. This would be for ranked modes, as turf it would be very iffy to make that happen.
Ties can't happen

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom